No more paperwork at Republic of Cyprus/TRNC crossing points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

Effective 16 May 2015. This will make life a little easier. And it's just a small, but hopeful step in solving the Cyprus problem. No more paperwork at Cyprus green line crossing points
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
This looks like a beacon of hope.

I used some TK miles and the silly agent here in JNB could / did not want to do a JNB - IST - ATH - LCA ticketing, so I will land at Ercan airport. That means that I have to cross the Green Line in Nicosia to enter the Republic.
I do have a Turkish eVisa as well as a Schengen visa.
But, my question is, if there is formal entry procedure, I will in essence, be in the country illegally since my arrival details have not been captured.
I am also leaving out of Ercan airport 10 days later.
The last thing I need is to get nailed on my way out.

I am off to the Consulate tomorrow since my sister needs a visa, so I will chat to them about this.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Any step towards making easier for the two communities to get along has got to be welcomed. Though there are a small number of people who has a significant vested interest in the status quo.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
This looks like a beacon of hope.

I used some TK miles and the silly agent here in JNB could / did not want to do a JNB - IST - ATH - LCA ticketing, so I will land at Ercan airport. That means that I have to cross the Green Line in Nicosia to enter the Republic.
I do have a Turkish eVisa as well as a Schengen visa.
But, my question is, if there is formal entry procedure, I will in essence, be in the country illegally since my arrival details have not been captured.
I am also leaving out of Ercan airport 10 days later.
The last thing I need is to get nailed on my way out.

I am off to the Consulate tomorrow since my sister needs a visa, so I will chat to them about this.
You'll have no problem crossing the border. I've done it on multiple occasions.

From the foreign travel office of the UK government:

"British and other foreign nationals who have entered Cyprus through the north are considered by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus to have entered Cyprus through an illegal port of entry. The Government of the Republic of Cyprus reserves the right to fine you for illegal entry if you cross into the south, but in practice, the current policy is not to do so."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jaymar01
You'll have no problem crossing the border. I've done it on multiple occasions.

From the foreign travel office of the UK government:

"British and other foreign nationals who have entered Cyprus through the north are considered by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus to have entered Cyprus through an illegal port of entry. The Government of the Republic of Cyprus reserves the right to fine you for illegal entry if you cross into the south, but in practice, the current policy is not to do so."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security

Aaah, thank you very much. I was told this morning not to worry, so hopefully, it will not be an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Well, I spent about 3 hours on the Turkish side a few days ago. I crossed at Ledras St.

The Turkish side scanned my passport on entry and exit.

Exiting the Greek side, the officer only looked briefly at my photo. Re-entering the Greek side, was waved through without showing my passport at all. Maybe he remembered my face, as I'm of an ethnicity that isn't very common on the island - I saw one other person of my race the entire 3 days I was there (not that I was looking)

However, if the Greek side doesn't scan or even look through the visa pages of your passport then there is no way they would know you entered from the North. It may be different if you are not an EU/EEA citizen.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:21 am

Thanks for the update. I am there next week, so will report back.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I cross often by car in Famagusta. This is the drill at that crossing:
Drive up to the Turkish immigration booths and show passports (for a scan) and car insurance (there is no interaction with ROC immigration at this point).
Have fun in the North.
On return, stop at Turkish immigation booth, show passports (for a scan).
Drive about 50 feet and show passports to ROC immigration - half the time they just wave you through; other times they look at the passports and ask you what you have bought and maybe look in your car. There is no scanning of passports by ROC immigration. They seem to be looking at passports more often these days because of migration issues. Fair enough.
Then go about your business in the ROC.

My interactions have always been pleasant.

BTW, I am an American and am usually travelling with Brits. People of other nationalities may have a different experience though all the crossings I have witnessed appear to be the same as my experiences.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:20 am

Thank you very much. This is valuable information since we do want to cross over by car during the trip.

I hold a South African passport with a Schengen visa, so will report back once I have done the crossing.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:14 pm

I MADE IT !!!!! :-::-::-:

Okay, here is what transpired. Now, bear in mind that I need, and have, a visa for Turkey and the Schengen States (of which Cyprus is going for full membership, so what they issue is only valid for travel into Cyprus, but what I have, covers Cyprus as well as the full member States.)

I flew into Ercan airport this morning, after an amazing TK flight from JNB last night. But, the catering this morning was a bit dire - I had a white wine to get the breakfast down, and also to try and focus on my task ahead.

Soon after landing, I went through Immigration and was asked where I would be staying - I responded that I was staying in Larnaca.
No problem, I got my 90 day entry stamped in.

Once luggage came through, I went out to find the bus line that plies the route between the airport and Lefkosia (Nicosia). It is KIBHAS for those interested. I did inquire when I bought my ticket ( 10 TL), how to get to Ledra Palace Hotel crossing, since that was where I was meeting my friends (after confirming that on Monday).
I was told that the driver would help me.
We arrived, and he helped me to another ticket office to buy a ticket for a battered minibus that went very close to the crossing (2.50 TL).

I walked for a while, dragging a 30 Kilogram Samsonite behind me (do not ask), sweating like anything and got to the first check point. The lady checked my passport, asked if I had arrived that morning, stamped me out and wished me well.

I walked what felt like ages, and got to the Cypriot side where things got interesting. The lady checking my passport kept on conferring with her Senior colleague and only once I asked if they were looking for a Schengen visa, and if so, I do have one, did they look relieved. So after them taking their sweet time trying to locate the damn thing, and me telling them on which page it was, (about ten times), did they find it, and then it was stamped and handed over with a flourish

I started down the street only to be called back by the Customs Official who was probably having a nap (this appears to be a rather quiet crossing point).
He was checking for Spirits or Cigars - well, the former I had (have) in abundance, but not the latter. I joked that I stopped smoking eight years ago, hence my belly getting bigger. We had a chuckle about that and he closed my Samsonite, not checking further.......

Now, dear reader, the last time I was in Europe, I managed to spend my last few Euros, so needed to find an ATM in order to buy a local SIM card to phone my friends and let them know that I had arrived. And often when you cross a border in a "civilized"crossing, there are ATM's, money changes and the like, no? NO

Well, that went down like a led balloon did it not? I asked customs guy about the closest ATM and he laughed - the nearest bank was like a 2 kilometer walk away.
What could I do? I bloody set off and walked. In hindsight, I should have commandeered a taxi, told him what I needed and got the job done, but having heard horror stories about taxi ripoffs, I decided to do it the stupid, mule way.

Anyhow, after walking for a loooong while, I got cash, got a SIM - that contrary to the store keeper telling me : "it fits all phone". What he neglected to say is that the card needed to be cut but he could not do that and he left the store leaving his wife in charge - so, no phone.

Fine, now I have money, find taxi, get back to crossing - Euro 5 !!!!!

Go to the UN side, speak to two guards who offered to ring Security at the hotel - no, nobody in a white rental there... @$^((**&^$# You get the picture........

Walked around to the taxi rank where there was some dodge looking store, got Coke and asked if he could make a call for me. He was willing and happy and the conversation with said friend went along the lines of: "Oh, but we spoke about Solomou?sp? Square where the intercity buses operate from."

The store owner quickly summonsed a taxi driver and gave him my intended destination. I think that this Burly Cypriot was not having someone lose it over the phone in his shop.
Anyway, found friends who had ordered a cheap and tasty meal cross the street from the terminus, plied me with a beer and generally acted like two blondes would, when the mist in the brain lifts briefly enough to realise that a subsequent conversation was held, 24 hours earlier, confirming that the Ledra Palace crossing was the best meeting point.

Okay, lessons learnt:

Initially, the crossing was easy - but with far less luggage.
HAVE BLOODY EUROS ON YOU!! I have changed money in crappier places and succeeded.
I appreciate the better co-operation between these two countries - I had nothing but a pleasant and polite exchange between myself and the Officials I dealt with (except when they cannot find page 32 in my passport
On both sides, people were friendly and ready to assist and advise.

When I go back:

I will cross over at the car crossings, but get a taxi to get me to Ercan. Dragging my (what would be lighter) luggage still does not appeal to me, so I will find out about pricing and try and see what the going rate is.
When dealing with a Blonde over Skype, treat it like a business meeting; send a copy of the minutes afterwards so that possible confusions are prevented.b

So, fetched my two traveling partners from the airport this evening (it gets dark quickly this time of year), and looking forward to a few days of touring and experiencing this place.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:40 pm

All's well that ends well, and you know how and what to do next time.

Strictly for first-timers: Even if things are now much, much easier than 10 years ago, when crossings were opened after 30 years, keep in mind that we're talking about a real "no man's land" under UN control. Thus, no banks (including ATMs), etc. If you walked to the left or right along the green line (strictly forbidden!!!), say in the 80s or 90s, you'd be risking to get shot at. If not, you'd certainly get arrested and spend a few days in a luxury police station. Even today (no shooting, but still forbidden) you'd find yourself in the middle of an eery, ghostly place: a 100% dead, city neighbourhood with bullet holes on every single wall of every single building (believe me, I've seen it) . Let's hope they soon come to a solution, prospects look better now than ever before.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Let's hope they soon come to a solution, prospects look better now than ever before.
I agree.^^
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Dear Roadwarrior:

Your biggest mistake here was crossing making a foot crossing at the Ledra Palace crossing. That is a vehicle crossing. You should have crossed at the Ledra Street crossing. You would have found plenty of ATMs and shops to buy a SIM card if you had crossed at the Ledra St. crossing. Your blonde friends should have known this.

Are you sure you were "stamped out" of the TRNC? They do not stamp me out when I leave to return to the ROC, they only scan.

I'm surprised that the ROC agents were interested in your Schengen visa. Cyprus is not in the Schengen zone yet so a Schengen visa is immaterial at this time.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I'm surprised that the ROC agents were interested in your Schengen visa. Cyprus is not in the Schengen zone yet so a Schengen visa is immaterial at this time.
Cyprus has the same visa policy as Schengen, although a visa for Cyprus is not valid to enter Schengen.

A South African citizen needs a visa to enter Cyprus, but a Schengen visa is valid for this purpose.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Dear Roadwarrior:

Your biggest mistake here was crossing making a foot crossing at the Ledra Palace crossing. That is a vehicle crossing. You should have crossed at the Ledra Street crossing. You would have found plenty of ATMs and shops to buy a SIM card if you had crossed at the Ledra St. crossing. Your blonde friends should have known this.

Are you sure you were "stamped out" of the TRNC? They do not stamp me out when I leave to return to the ROC, they only scan.

Thanks for the info. I was looking into the Ledra street crossing for when I go back on Friday. I should be able to get a taxi from there to the airport?

Checking my passport now - you are correct, no stamp. I know it was scanned, but what the hell did she stamp then? I distinctly heard the sound.

And as : D! said, I need either a visa issued by the Republic, or a Schengen visa.

Anyhow, the more I look at it, the more convince I am that Ledra Street is my best option for Friday, and then grabbing a taxi to the airport as opposed to waiting for busses.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions!
Now for some touring around and finding an awesome spot for lunch.

Last edited by roadwarrier; Feb 8, 2016 at 12:16 am Reason: Incorrect spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.