Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the best place to buy Euros?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Where is the best place to buy Euros?

Where is the best place to buy Euros and not get ripped off on the exchange rate?

I tried at my bank and they wanted to add 6% another bank said there is no fee and the sell at the exchange rate, but they have their own exchange rate (that coincidentally is 6% different than the actual rate).
Old May 6, 2015, 8:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'd use an ATM at your destination. You're likely to pay a loaded rate (1-2.5%) and possibly a minimum fee for doing so (certain banks waive this), but tends to be convenient and economical.

Also, depending on your destination, you may not need that much cash, particularly if you have a contactless credit card. On a recent 4-day trip to France, I spent under €50 cash between two of us... You will still pay a loaded rate.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by stut
I'd use an ATM at your destination. You're likely to pay a loaded rate (1-2.5%) and possibly a minimum fee for doing so (certain banks waive this), but tends to be convenient and economical.
This. Unless you're buying directly from someone you know, you're unlikely to beat whatever your bank charges you to use an ATM if you want to purchase before you leave.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Credit card (check foreign currency surcharges) and ATM. You will need surprisingly little Euro cash in most countries.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
As noted, just get them in Europe.

I don't mind carrying cash, and while Czech Republic still uses the Crown, I found that I get better exchange at the many exchanges around Vaclavske Namesti, the center of town by main railway station (Hlavne Nadrazi).

Haven't been around too many other parts of Europe lately so can't say if there are similar setups there. Just used ATMs to get Euros in Slovakia.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by abefroman99
Where is the best place to buy Euros and not get ripped off on the exchange rate?

I tried at my bank and they wanted to add 6% another bank said there is no fee and the sell at the exchange rate, but they have their own exchange rate (that coincidentally is 6% different than the actual rate).
Are you trying to buy Euros in Europe or in the US?
In the US you end up paying hefty fees and 6% is about right.

If you are buying Euros in Europe it all depends on where.
For example Bank of America has an agreement with several European banks including BNParibas in France where you pay no fees at the ATM and they give you a great rate.

Depending on the country, you can use credit cards for most of your expenses while in Europe.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Credit card (check foreign currency surcharges) and ATM. You will need surprisingly little Euro cash in most countries.
I think you mean debit card, after checking for foreign usage surcharges, and the currency conversion fee they charge.

Credit cards (irrespective of currency or location of withdrawal, i.e. even at home) will usually consider ATMs to be a 'cash advance' and subject to further surcharges, and no interest free period, etc.

Assuming we are not talking about a cash advance, then yes use a card in an ATM, after making sure you understand what (a) Foreign currency fees they charge, i.e. how much loading they apply to the rate, and what further fees (fixed and/or percentage) they also apply, and (b) for foreign usage fees they charge.

(b) above is important, as even if you elect to make a transaction in the currency of the card/account, some will still charge a fee for usage abroad.

That said, using the correct debit card in a local ATM is invariably the best route. Both cheapest and most convenient.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The one caveat, though... If you are relying on an ATM to get cash, and it's a country where you can't get by on credit cards for small payments or, for example, the taxi from the airport, then make sure you know what to do if the bank decides to block your card.

(I have a very cautious bank which seems to auto-block my card in a number of destinations, including the US.)

You can mitigate against this to an extent by telling the bank in advance about your travel plans, but that doesn't always work. Make sure you have the fraud department's number available, and, if possible, something like a Skype app on your smartphone. And take some of your own currency with your (or travellers' cheques - about the only use left for them) in case you need to change some the old-fashioned way in an emergency.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by stut
The one caveat, though... If you are relying on an ATM to get cash, and it's a country where you can't get by on credit cards for small payments or, for example, the taxi from the airport, then make sure you know what to do if the bank decides to block your card.

(I have a very cautious bank which seems to auto-block my card in a number of destinations, including the US.)

You can mitigate against this to an extent by telling the bank in advance about your travel plans, but that doesn't always work. Make sure you have the fraud department's number available, and, if possible, something like a Skype app on your smartphone. And take some of your own currency with your (or travellers' cheques - about the only use left for them) in case you need to change some the old-fashioned way in an emergency.
One of many reasons why I would never recommend anyone rely upon a single card issuer, let alone a single card.

Having separate cards, from separate issuers not only gives you more cards (divide up against loss), but you can keep going if any institution has a panic.

Even at home I always have multiple cards from different issuers, and different card networks too (Amex, MC, Visa), you never know when one element will have a problem. All have had problems in the past.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If you're in the NYC area, you can get a 1.5% fee on just about any currency at http://www.nycforeignexchange.com/. We've used them and they are reliable.

If you don't want to carry large sums of cash, the best thing is to use ATM's.

We use EMV Chip and PIN Debit Cards which are available through a number of US Credit Unions and which will work in any ATM in Europe that has the VISA notation. VISA charges a 1% fee and no ATM or Foreign Exchange fees.

While the Euro is in widespread use we have trips to 3 countries this summer that still use their own currencies (Sweden, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. We can reload the card account online with no fees from a regular checking or savings account.

Information on Chip and PIN cards can be found here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html
Old May 14, 2015, 9:58 pm

Only 3 letter: ATM.

Best rates and so far I never saw any bank have better.

Also, to use credit card is not bad solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.