Search

Headed to Helsinki; help with sights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Headed to Helsinki; help with sights

I'm headed to HEL in mid-Sept for a week which will be my first trip and wanted to ask any who have been for some thoughts on sights to see in the city and possible trips across to Tallinn either as a day trip or possibly an overnight stay.

So far haven't fully locked in a hotel though am holding a reservation at Hotel Kamp. Will try and stay somewhere central but am always open to switching if a better deal come out closer to departure at Holiday Inn or Scandic hotels.

Any insights are appreciated.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Moving over to the Nordic Countries (not Scandinavian, oh no) as requested.

Please continue to follow this topic in the Nordic Countries forum.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by tcook052
So far haven't fully locked in a hotel though am holding a reservation at Hotel Kamp. Will try and stay somewhere central but am always open to switching if a better deal come out closer to departure at Holiday Inn or Scandic hotels.
Any hotel in Helsinki is normally more inexpensive than the Kämp, the only Helsinki hotel not ok'd by our corporate travel policy. Not sure what you mean by a "better deal".

The most central Scandic is the Marski closely followed by the Simonkenttä. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

It does and will check those two Scandic options out. And all I meant was that I'll keep my accommodations options open.

Since I arrive HEL around 5 PM I may just jump on a ferry that evening and head straight to Tallinn and come back the next evening rather than trying to work a day trip in later in my stay.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 26, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Next door to Kämp is its sister property Glo Kluuvi. The other local hotel brand is Sokos. There's Sokos Helsinki on the same street at Glo Kluuvi and Sokos Vaakuna, next to Central Station, and a short distance to Scandic Simonkenttä. Local hotels include breakfast and wifi in their rates; you pay extra for these if you stay at Holiday Inn or Crown Plaza.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
As to hotels, if you are elite with IHG, you should consider Crowne Plaza who upgrades consistently Plats to Club or Junior Suite rooms. Check also the newly opened Indigo Helsinki which is ideally situated in great neighborhood.

Sokos hotels are not bad either, and no better than Scandic or holiday inns on a more inexpensive scale. Usually Scandic and Sokos have free buffet breakfast.

Radisson BLUs: Royal is centrally situated as well as Plaza, and for a ferry trip to Tallinn with Tallink, Radisson Seaside is a great option as it is walking distance to the ferry terminal. If you are Gold/Concierge, Radisson usually delivers decen upgrade rooms. Breakie included.

Hilton Strand and Kalastajatorppa are a bit further away but not too far and easily connected with public transport
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
As to sights: you may google what happenings there are in mid-Sept during your stay or check blogs. Helsinki is a great city during summer just to wander without target, but mid-Sept weather can be anything and limit some outdoor activities. Depends what you want to sightsee and do, any hints may provide you better answer.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFlash
As to sights: you may google what happenings there are in mid-Sept during your stay or check blogs. Helsinki is a great city during summer just to wander without target, but mid-Sept weather can be anything and limit some outdoor activities. Depends what you want to sightsee and do, any hints may provide you better answer.
Having spent a yr in HEL last June for 2 nights.I have no idea how I wouldnt pull all the hair out of head if I was there for week. Afetr walkinga round for an hour I was done covered it all.

Tallin is a great place to hit as is St Pete. I did 2 nights @ TLL , 6 @ St Pete and 2 @ HEL, and if I could redo it I would skip HEL
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Helsinki city centre is very small,you can walk it in just over an hour or so,I was there a month ago,I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Vantaa,used the free hotel shuttle bus to the airport,then picked up the Finnair coach into town.A trip to Tallin would be good,I did not have enough time.It's a nice place to visit.....but little to do.

Last edited by liamvad; Apr 26, 2015 at 11:29 pm Reason: edit
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: BA GfL
As for sights, buy an unlimited all-day one-zone ticket and take a tram (3, 7, 9 1 or any tram) in any direction and enjoy the city. You can get off and on at your pleasure. You can buy the ticket from any metro station or tram driver.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:10 am

duplicate post, sorry

Last edited by dtsm; Apr 27, 2015 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:33 am

You might want to consider free walking tours, only payment is gratuity for the guide.

Tallinn: http://www.traveller.ee/tour/tallinn-free-tour
Helsinki: http://www.freetoursnetwork.com/#!helsinki-1/c1aup
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:27 am

Helsinki is a lovely city for wandering around in and I'd certainly take a guided tour.
The Russian orthodox church is well worth a visit. This is also an interesting experience: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yrj%C3%..._Swimming_Hall

Hotel wise.. I'd say look at either Sokos or Scandic. Both very typical Scandinavian chains. Little in the way of frills and bathrooms can appear really basic but everything you need is there and they're clean.

Tallin... another town just to wander around the old city and explore. Very friendly prices compared to Helsinki.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the excellent suggestions.

Walking tours are always something I try to do while travelling so may do that one day or rent a bike and go for a spin. A visit to both Kotiharju Sauna and Yrjönkatu Swimming Hall are of interest as well. The day trip to Tallinn will be near the end of my stay so I don't have to haul all my luggage on the ferry. That should fill most of the stay and hope weather co-operates.

I'll keep checking the hotels for specials and make some decisions a little closer to departure.

Thanks again.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:25 am

Yrjönkatu swimming pool has been on the news lately for gay action in the steam bath. You have been warned. Kotiharju is neutral in that sense. Bring you own beer from the supermarkets nearby and put them in the freezer and enjoy outside during your breaks from the sauna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.