Wiki Posts
Search

Dubrovnik: what area to stay in?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Dubrovnik: what area to stay in?

My wife, 6 year old daughter, and I will spend 3 nights in Dubrovnik in early June as part of a larger your around Croatia and Europe. After doing some searching here, it sounds like we're better off staying in a rented apartment over a hotel.

I took a quick spin through airbnb where there are thousands of listings for Dubrovnik. Wonder if anyone can help me narrow in on where / what area / neighborhood we should stay. Any advice is much appreciated.

Of course, if you have recommendations or referrals to accommodations you liked, please pass them along. Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well the best place to stay is at the Hilton, so I would search for an apartment nearby. I think I probably would think twice about an apartment inside the old city walls. It would be super charming, but eventually I'd be annoyed by the hordes of tourists constantly walking by. Yes there are some quiet back streets, but still the tourists are everywhere.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Skymiles, Mileage Plus, Priorty Club, Hilton HHonors
We too will be flying into Dubrovnik from yyz on May 31st to Jun 7th. I have found an apt on Airbnb in the old city for $106 per night. If you book in the old city remember Dubrovnik is built on the side of a hill and there are stairs everywhere. This could be a problem with a 6 year old. If you stay close to the main street Stradun you can find something with less steps.
Yes there are tourists everywhere but after the cruise ships leave in the late afternoon it may not as bad. If you want to check which days there are the most cruise ships in port check this link http://www.croatiatraveller.com/sout...ovnik/june.pdf I plan on using Dubrovnik as a base to start from doing day trips on the high cruise ship count days to Mostar, Montenegro, and Korcula. On Jun 7th we will be traveling to Split where I have another Airbnb rental for 4 nights.

Last edited by twobyte; Apr 19, 2015 at 11:55 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:49 am

When I was in Dubrovnik I stayed in an apartment (not AirBnB) up near the top of the hill in the old city. It was a hike to get up there, but I was very happy I'd decided to stay in the old city and not in a more modern district. For your situation, I'd recommend staying close to the main street (Stradun) but a little ways up the hill to avoid noise.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JR14
When I was in Dubrovnik I stayed in an apartment (not AirBnB) up near the top of the hill in the old city. It was a hike to get up there, but I was very happy I'd decided to stay in the old city and not in a more modern district. For your situation, I'd recommend staying close to the main street (Stradun) but a little ways up the hill to avoid noise.
This mirrors my experience. Other than lugging bags halfway up the hill, walking up and down wasn't bad, and brought us by many shops and restaurants that we would otherwise not have visited.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Other than lugging bags halfway up the hill, walking up and down wasn't bad, and brought us by many shops and restaurants that we would otherwise not have visited.
Yes. Some of my favorite spots there ended up being shops and restaurants in those narrow alleys off the main street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.