Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

No EU Entry and Exit Stamp in My US Passport?

Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Hello all!

I went on to a trip to Europe recently. From January 20 to 24, I was in Iceland, where I did get entry and exit stamp on my way to UK.

Then I took Eurostar from London to Brussels on February 3 or 4, and traveled within EU until April 4, when I flew out of Rome, Italy to United States (I'm an American citizen).

Looking through my passport, I saw that I have NO entry AND NO exit stamp (but did get a stamp of return to United States from the US Border Control).

My passport has a lot of stamps from traveling around Europe two years ago and then to China...so it's not like a completely brand-new passport. It seems that the border guards pretty much just took a look at the passport and waved me through...can't recall now if they took a moment to scan the passport or not.

1) Does that mean there were no record of me spending about 59 days in EU (Belgium to Italy)?

If I flew back to EU right now, would they have any record of my time in EU? Would it be like I have "new" 90 days?

2) I can't recall right now, but does EU airports scan passports to record your entry and exit?

Also, just in case anyone is interested, I came across this floating in the cyberspace: http://www.overlanddiaries.com/?tag=schengen-zone

Thanks!

Last edited by wildchartermage; Apr 12, 2015 at 7:15 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Iceland is a Schengen country...unless I'm not thinking of a requirement, you didn't need an exit stamp there and wouldn't have gotten an entry stamp in London. Obviously you should have been stamped leaving Italy.

I've also not received an exit stamp from the EU to US a couple times. I never notice until the trip is over.

CORRECTION: I wasn't thinking...UK is not Schengen. You missed a few stamps.

Last edited by JBord; Apr 12, 2015 at 1:44 pm Reason: Correction to post
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I missed few stamps, but does that imply there are no records of me entering and leaving the Schengen Zone...like it was as if I was never in Schengen Zone except for the 4 days in Iceland?

Or there are electronic or other methods I may not be aware of to keep me track?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes there are other ways they can track you. And yes at times both France and Italy just wave through certain passports to alleviate backlogs.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There are readers for your implanted microchip at all public transit stations.

They know.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Can you guys elaborate more on those "ways" you had mentioned?

What public transit stations? Subways? Train stations?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
There are readers for your implanted microchip at all public transit stations.

They know.
And then there are the security agents who follow all non-EU passport holders around. They cunningly dress as national stereotypes to avoid arousing suspicion (though this is a bit of a problem for Luxemburg as they don't have a national stereotype). Did the OP spot the characters from "Tintin" behind him/her in Belgium?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Andy33
And then there are the security agents who follow all non-EU passport holders around. They cunningly dress as national stereotypes to avoid arousing suspicion (though this is a bit of a problem for Luxemburg as they don't have a national stereotype). Did the OP spot the characters from "Tintin" behind him/her in Belgium?
I was gonna say that this is all spelled out in a Jason Bourne novel I read once.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Lol, you guys are definitely trolling me. :P :P :P :P

But really, I came to this forum in hopes for serious responses. :P
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:32 am

Well, seriously, the Schengen area updates its records of non-EU/EEA citizens who have arrived and departed by scanning passports. The rubber stamp is only essential on non-machine-readable passports which are rare these days, and increasingly airport immigration personnel (most obviously at CDG) don't bother to stamp passports they've successfully scanned even though they're still supposed to. EU passports are never stamped whether the issuing country is in Schengen or not as this is against the rules.

The US and the UK have no visible exit checks at airports at all, but information is fed into immigration databases by the airlines scanning passports at check-in or at the gate. The immigration officers still know next time you arrive when you were last there and how long you stayed. It would be unwise to assume that this source of information doesn't reach Schengen immigration too at airports within the Area.

Last edited by Andy33; Apr 14, 2015 at 10:38 am
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Well, seriously, the Schengen area updates its records of non-EU/EEA citizens who have arrived and departed by scanning passports. The rubber stamp is only essential on non-machine-readable passports which are rare these days, and increasingly airport immigration personnel (most obviously at CDG) don't bother to stamp passports they've successfully scanned even though they're still supposed to. EU passports are never stamped whether the issuing country is in Schengen or not as this is against the rules.

The US and the UK have no visible exit checks at airports at all, but information is fed into immigration databases by the airlines scanning passports at check-in or at the gate. The immigration officers still know next time you arrive when you were last there and how long you stayed. It would be unwise to assume that this source of information doesn't reach Schengen immigration too at airports within the Area.
Thanks so much for letting me know! This will be helpful in planning out my return trip to EU.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It helps to cut the unemployment rate by hiring all those "security agents".
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well, seriously, the Schengen area updates its records of non-EU/EEA citizens who have arrived and departed by scanning passports.
Unless the person entered the Schengen Zone using a visa and was scanned into VIS, most of those Schengen passport scans have had nothing to do with EU/EEA tracking the when/where for arrival and departure of persons using the non-EU/EEA passports without an embassy/consulate-procured Schengen visa.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:25 am

As far as I'm aware the scanning of the passport does NOT lead to a database check because there is no such database. The only way to check your immigration status are the stamps.
But I am not a law enforcement officer, so don't take me by my word on that. That's the info that is on Wikipedia on the matter and I believe it's true, as I think I can remember that after the Charlie Hebdo attacks there was a discussion going on whether such a database should be introduced.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unless the person entered the Schengen Zone using a visa and was scanned into VIS, most of those Schengen passport scans have had nothing to do with EU/EEA tracking the when/where for arrival and departure of persons using the non-EU/EEA passports without an embassy/consulate-procured Schengen visa.
Okay, now I'm getting two different responses, so I'm getting bit confused.

Based on what you're saying, since I entered the Zone as a tourist and never applied for a Schengen Zone, the border guards all rely on counting the days based on the entry and exit stamps, right? But in my case, since I didn't have any stamps, it would appear I was only in the Zone for 4 days (Iceland).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.