Wiki Posts
Search

Question about customs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Question Question about customs

Hi,

We are flying from JFK to MXP on Delta. Once in MXP we are hopping on Lufthansa and flying to TXL (separately booked tickets). We are not checking bags. Do we need to do anything special like go to immigration or get something stamped or go back through security or anything... or can we simply head to our next gate. Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this.

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by ndstate
Hi,

We are flying from JFK to MXP on Delta. Once in MXP we are hopping on Lufthansa and flying to TXL (separately booked tickets). We are not checking bags. Do we need to do anything special like go to immigration or get something stamped or go back through security or anything... or can we simply head to our next gate. Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this.

Thanks
Enter the Schengen zone (immigration), go through security, get on your plane to Berlin.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge on how long immigration/security may take?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:24 am
Suspended

1h - 2h depended on how many non EU Gates are open.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by ToGo
1h - 2h depended on how many non EU Gates are open.
Wow!
Is MXP that bad? I don't know of any airport in the Shengen where it takes that long to pass immigration...
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Koby
Wow!
Is MXP that bad? I don't know of any airport in the Shengen where it takes that long to pass immigration...
ToGo's information is rather exaggerated. It is true that if your flight arrives at the same time as other planes from non-Schengen flights it may indeed longer, but I can't think that it could take 2 hours. On one occasion when I saw huge lines for transfers I went through the much shorter queues exiting the airport and then back in again through the "standard" way for "local" passengers. That took less than 10 min. instead of, I guess, half hour.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:40 pm
Suspended

but I can't think that it could take 2 hours.
dont forgett you need time to get off the plane -> seat in the back +30Min
Walk to the Immigration -> +10Min
Toilette Break -> 10Min
So in the worst case you loose 30Min - 40Min.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. It sounds like its fairly easy going through immigration (show passports, reason for stay, return ticket), go through security, (customs?), and be on my way. Ill also search for an airport map so I can have the airport layout in my head.

I assume the immigration official will speak English?... Though I am working on learning Italian.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:46 am
Suspended

normany the all speak english.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:10 am

You'll go through customs in Berlin, at your final destination. But generally that's just a walk through, no lines.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is the timing between flights? If you are on a separate ticket to TXL you'll be up the creek if you miss it as you won't have any protection for an onward flight. This also applies if your inbound flight from JFK is delayed, so I would budget a minimum of two hours between published landing and takeoff.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:13 am
Suspended

You'll go through customs in Berlin
not on all Airports.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ToGo
not on all Airports.
?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Koby
You'll go through customs in Berlin, at your final destination. But generally that's just a walk through, no lines.
Erm, customs after a MXP-TXL flight? Or any other intra-EU flight? I don't think so.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Erm, customs after a MXP-TXL flight? Or any other intra-EU flight?
On every Airport you have the Green, Red, (EU) Gates.
For Example in the EU you are allowed to bring X Cigarettes w/o Tax to your Contry.
If you have more you need to declare it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.