Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA onboard food

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

BA onboard food

I am flying from LGW to DLM in July this year with BA on an A320. I am just wondering what kind of meal I am going to get onboard. I understand that flights from Gatwick do not serve hot food?? The flight departs just after lunch at 13:40 and arrives 19:35. Anyone had a ba meal experience from LGW??
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by kieranba
I am flying from LGW to DLM in July this year with BA on an A320. I am just wondering what kind of meal I am going to get onboard. I understand that flights from Gatwick do not serve hot food?? The flight departs just after lunch at 13:40 and arrives 19:35. Anyone had a ba meal experience from LGW??
Your thread will probably be moved to the British Airways forum.

Have a look at the BA short haul catering guide:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-guide.html
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:44 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yup, BA forum is the best place for this one. Please continue to follow this topic in the BAEC forum.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Yup, BA forum is the best place for this one. Please continue to follow this topic in the BAEC forum.

stut
Europe Forum
Okey dokey
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
You'll get a sandwich (meat or veg), some cheese and crackers (or other light snack), and a small dessert/chocolate bar, plus drinks from the bar. Everything is complimentary.

Only Business class gets hot food shorthual from LGW.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
You'll get a sandwich (meat or veg), some cheese and crackers (or other light snack), and a small dessert/chocolate bar, plus drinks from the bar. Everything is complimentary.

Only Business class gets hot food shorthual from LGW.
Ok Thanks. What is it with this 'no hot food' from LGW? Why?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Ok Thanks. What is it with this 'no hot food' from LGW? Why?
Bucket and spade destinations where the competition provides not much more, even if you pay.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ENTP
Bucket and spade destinations where the competition provides not much more, even if you pay.
Sorry to intervene. But you may find it has to do with the fact that there is no catering contract available in DLM amongst other places and due to space constraints they can not load hot meals both ways ex LGW or in some cases ex LHR.
The most recent case is LCA after the demise of CY which means there no catering facilities available anymore to cater us there.
Space is very limited on the 319/320/321 Aircraft and BA simply do not have the space to return cater 2 hot meals.

Last edited by Flier74; Mar 4, 2015 at 3:33 pm Reason: Typos
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
They always seem to manage to find enough space to fit in a few more seats though!

I think it's all about cost cutting. Did they ever use to serve hot meals on Band 4 flights from LGW?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
GB airways, that formerly operated these routes as a BA franchise (using the same planes) fully catered not catering for everybody on board.
It is purely about saving £
Even the charter operators would load hot meals for all back in the day, and they crammed in even more passengers. Suggest having something at Gatwick. The drinks are also severely rationed....
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:46 pm

We did used to serve hot meals on Band4 flights from LGW years ago. In those days, the hot meals for the return were loaded in the hold and brought up by ground staff during the turnaround. Nowadays, turnarounds are quicker and getting "extras" brought up from the hold costs money. Simple as that, it all comes down to money - again.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, it does come down to money. Of course BA could serve hot meals on the flight and it could provide better seating too. Just look at LCYCW service to/from JFK.

But, are passengers on these routes prepared CW-type prices? My guess is that marketing data shows that passengers on these routes value cost over luxury.

While hot food alone is not the issue, you can expect further reductions in the service standard as people flock to the guy with the lowest fares on the search engine.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Welcome to the BA forum kieranba! I'm sure one of the esteemed Ambassadors will drop by to say hello shortly but thought I would say it too.

Hope you enjoy your flight when it comes!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk kieranba

Indeed, welcome to Flyertalk, kieranba. Welcome in particular to the BA forum, which is a great place to find out things like this. I hope you will continue to post here, so welcome on board.

There is a "short haul catering" guide available in the Dashboard which may give you some clues. I'm due to be on that same flight before you, so if I remember I will try to get you a photo. I would get yourself a doggy bag on board if in "Euro" Traveller, however.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by stu1985
Welcome to the BA forum kieranba! I'm sure one of the esteemed Ambassadors will drop by to say hello shortly but thought I would say it too.

Hope you enjoy your flight when it comes!
Thank you stu1985!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.