Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash B & B Wants Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Cash B & B Wants Credit Card

Have reservations at a small B & B In Bruges, Belgium. Cash Only B & B, but they still want a credit card. Their web site does not allow for reservations or payments. Must be done thru e-mail or phone. Concerned about giving out credit card info by e-mail or by phone. Suggestions. Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:41 am

One possible approach is to send 2 emails back-to-back, with the first including all but the last 4 numbers of the card, and the second containing the last 4 numbers plus the expiration date. Or, call them up. Fraud is not a huge concern, as you wouldn't typically have to pay unauthorized charges.

1111-1111-1111-xxxx
xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-1111, exp. 11-11
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:21 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I use empty visa gift cards for this sort of situation. In the unlikely event that they actually try to authorise an amount on it, I give them another virtual card with $5 on it, or cancel the booking. I'd rather not stay somewhere that tries to charge my card in full (even if they don't end up taking the funds) and then still wants full payment in cash.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:47 pm

Two issues here:
1) Why do they need it if they can't use it for payment, anyway?
2) Whether it's OK to provide the number via email or phone

No way would I send a credit card number via email. However, I would give it over the phone--that's what everyone used to do in the days before widespread Internet use. I would first ask during that call, though, why they needed the number.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm willing to send a credit card number to a secure fax machine but never by email. Of course phone is OK too.

Does the hotel charge the credit card for a no show? Use it to cover damages, or even stuff like unreported minibar consumption discovered after the guest has checked out?

Before giving a credit card number, I'd specifically ask the reason for this request. Ideally, I'd want the policy in writing. Otherwise, I'd consider cancelling the reservation and finding somewhere else to stay.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before giving a credit card number, I'd specifically ask the reason for this request. Ideally, I'd want the policy in writing. Otherwise, I'd consider cancelling the reservation and finding somewhere else to stay.
I'd agree with this since it's a "cash only" place, how would they even charge a credit card .

One thing though is if it's very reputable, has a lot of reviews on trip adviser, then they likely are not scammers trying to get your data . Other comments about disposable debit cards with low balance are good ideas not only for this, but for loads of other situations where a credit is needed for "verification"
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:50 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
I'd agree with this since it's a "cash only" place, how would they even charge a credit card .

One thing though is if it's very reputable, has a lot of reviews on trip adviser, then they likely are not scammers trying to get your data . Other comments about disposable debit cards with low balance are good ideas not only for this, but for loads of other situations where a credit is needed for "verification"
All from relatives and friends of the "landlord".
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I don't see it as that shady, to be honest. Small business wants to minimise costs so only accepts cash, but doesn't want you to go through the hassle of putting down a cash deposit (especially from abroad) and so will take a credit card number as security.

Yes, I'd want some assurance of trustworthiness before giving a credit card number, and I would definitely give it over the phone rather than by email.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Create a virtual card number with $1 on it and give it to them. No harm no foul
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Palal
Create a virtual card number with $1 on it and give it to them. No harm no foul
If your bank offers this, Palal's suggestion is the way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.