Search

Turkey - security question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
After today's suicidal-homicidal bomber attacked in the Sultanahmet tourist section of Istanbul killed and wounded tourists and others, questions about the security situation when visiting Turkey do arise. Unfortunately, the risk assessment would be that the risks have been greater in the last several months than they were even at this time last year.
Istanbul hit again today, along a main shopping street.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
I would not visit IST today

Originally Posted by Koja78
It is Istanbul.. it's not the Syrian border. Your biggest risk is over paying in restaurants.
Today's terrorist attack in Istanbul was the 2nd this year. The 1st targeted tourists at the Haga Sophia.

I had a wonderful one week stay in IST two years ago. It is a great city - but - I have no desire to return. Tourists are being targeted by ISIS/PKK, in response to the crackdown by Erdogan.

My next visit (in June) is going to be for 2 hours transiting Ataturk (best lounge in the Star Alliance).
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Today's terrorist attack in Istanbul was the 2nd this year. The 1st targeted tourists at the Haga Sophia.

I had a wonderful one week stay in IST two years ago. It is a great city - but - I have no desire to return. Tourists are being targeted by ISIS/PKK, in response to the crackdown by Erdogan.

My next visit (in June) is going to be for 2 hours transiting Ataturk (best lounge in the Star Alliance).
Yeah, I was there 15 months ago (where I earned an SSSS for my troubles), but it's not on my current travel list either. The risk is still low (I think), but it's still too high to make it an attractive destination at the moment.

What is security like these days? I was in Rome a few weeks ago and there are a couple of soldiers with machine guns and armored personnel carriers at all the main tourist/political sites. I'm headed to Paris and I'm expecting the same -- but with more troops. In Istanbul, I would think there would be an overwhelming military presence these days.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by iahphx

What is security like these days? ... In Istanbul, I would think there would be an overwhelming military presence these days.
I'm coming close to the end of a two month visit and can tell you that security is tighter than I've seen since I started coming regularly in late 2012, but life is mostly going on as normal. Not much military in the city, though I feel like I see the red-jacket national police units out more than usual. Domestic airport security has tightened substantially - it was like a transatlantic SSSS with swabbing, turning on laptops, ect.. just to enter the AYT domestic terminal check in area recently (though it actually wasn't as severe as it could of been at SAW this morning). Security in the city remains wildly inconsistent as it has always been - they are occasionally wanding ordinary-sized briefcases and backpacks on the metro for the first time, though the searches still seem pretty light and arbitrary. I've seen national police ID checks at metro and metrobus stations within the Kadikoy Municipality for the first time on this visit, too - really thought that only happened on rural roads in the eastern part of the country before this year!

I try not to let security concerns impact my day to day life, but there's wild rumors spreading via expat social media (when it works without a VPN) and some foreigners are definitely avoiding certain pieces of infrastructure and touristic areas at peak hours. As we commonly assure ourselves on threads like these, random violence and tragic accidents can occur anywhere in the world - yet I'll be a little more relieved than usual to get out of here in a couple weeks...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA,
March/April Istanbul Security

I had an overnight layover in Istanbul on Friday 3/25/2016 and Saturday 4/2/2016. We stayed at Ottoman Hotel Imperial on 3/25 and Boutique Saint Sophia Hotel on 4/2. The hotels are right next to each other and are immediately adjacent to Hagia Sophia. Both hotels are excellent...but lack security.

Vehicle access to both hotels is restricted by general vehicle limitations in the tourist area. We used Zip Transfers for the ride from the airport. On 3/25 we arrived near the hotel about 6:30pm. The driver called the hotel and they sent a porter to meet us about 3 blocks from the hotel. It looked like we would need to walk the remaining three blocks to the hotel, but once the porter saw we were four people with only hand luggage he jumped in the van and directed the driver to a spot closer to the hotel requiring only a walk of about 100 feet to the hotel entrance.

The Ottoman Hotel Imperial has NO entry security, i.e.., no metal detector/luggage screening. However, due to the layout of the hotel someone entering the main entrance cannot easily get to guest rooms or dinning areas. We received multiple email alerts from the US State Dept. S.T.E.P. program with cautions about traveling in Turkey. They specifically mentioned to avoid staying in hotels without entry security. We walked to dinner across Sultan Ahmet Square, avoiding groups of people as much as possible. The next morning we visited the Basilica Cistern and Blue Mosque before the return to the airport. When we left the hotel we did have to walk about 3 blocks, with the help of a hotel porter, to reach our van and driver. This was due to the general vehicle restrictions in this area.

On 4/2/16 we arrived closer to 11:30pm and our driver was able to access the restricted area and take us directly to the Boutique St. Sophia Hotel. It is located along the tram line next to Hagia Sophia and up a small hill by foot from the street. This hotel does NOT have entry security, metal detector or luggage screening. The breakfast room is in the lobby. Upon checking in the front desk informed us that taking breakfast in our room was available at no additional charge. That would be the more prudent move but, we ended up eating in the lobby. Unfortunately, anyone can walk into the lobby from the street and directly into the breakfast area unrestricted.

We wanted to visit the Hagia Sophia which opens at 9 am. On our visit the week prior we noted people standing inline outside the gate to the Hagia Sophia prior to its opening. We waited till about 9:05am to make the 3 min walk over and there was no line outside the gate. However there was a bit of a backup at the ticket windows. We were able to buy tickets, with a credit card TL40 per person, at the kiosk just to the left after entering the gates and thus bypass the ticket window line. We quickly moved past the turnstile/security X-ray/metal detector and into the building.

Upon exiting we needed to get back to the hotel to get bags to return to the airport. I did note, with much dismay, a large contingent of red jacketed security police in Sultan Ahmet square sitting around engrossed in their iPhones and not providing any security whatsoever. This is the spot where 12 people were killed in a bombing in January and the cops are looking at their phones not the people walking through the area!

We did the same 3 block walk from the hotel to our driver/van as the week prior. Not the most low key way to get a ride when you are carrying bags. Fortunately we had checked our luggage through to JFK and only had hand luggage.

Bottom line, in light of the recent events in Istanbul, caution is highly recommended. Make sure hotels have entry security. Follow the recommendations of security experts. This all does make you very paranoid. I have been traveling for more than 30 years including a flight to Rome the day after Lockerbie...so Im not one to let terrorists alter my plans but I don't think I will be returning to Istanbul anytime soon....no matter how cheap Turkish Airlines fares get.

We had booked these hotels because of their proximity to Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque knowing we would only have about an hour on each visit for sight seeing. We incorrectly assumed that all hotels in Istanbul had entry security. You can see the security in photos on some hotel websites....my recommendation ASK before you book. I wish we had.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by NJTravlr
I had an overnight layover in Istanbul on Friday 3/25/2016 and Saturday 4/2/2016. We stayed at Ottoman Hotel Imperial on 3/25 and Boutique Saint Sophia Hotel on 4/2. The hotels are right next to each other and are immediately adjacent to Hagia Sophia. Both hotels are excellent...but lack security.

Vehicle access to both hotels is restricted by general vehicle limitations in the tourist area. We used Zip Transfers for the ride from the airport. On 3/25 we arrived near the hotel about 6:30pm. The driver called the hotel and they sent a porter to meet us about 3 blocks from the hotel. It looked like we would need to walk the remaining three blocks to the hotel, but once the porter saw we were four people with only hand luggage he jumped in the van and directed the driver to a spot closer to the hotel requiring only a walk of about 100 feet to the hotel entrance.

The Ottoman Hotel Imperial has NO entry security, i.e.., no metal detector/luggage screening. However, due to the layout of the hotel someone entering the main entrance cannot easily get to guest rooms or dinning areas. We received multiple email alerts from the US State Dept. S.T.E.P. program with cautions about traveling in Turkey. They specifically mentioned to avoid staying in hotels without entry security. We walked to dinner across Sultan Ahmet Square, avoiding groups of people as much as possible. The next morning we visited the Basilica Cistern and Blue Mosque before the return to the airport. When we left the hotel we did have to walk about 3 blocks, with the help of a hotel porter, to reach our van and driver. This was due to the general vehicle restrictions in this area.

On 4/2/16 we arrived closer to 11:30pm and our driver was able to access the restricted area and take us directly to the Boutique St. Sophia Hotel. It is located along the tram line next to Hagia Sophia and up a small hill by foot from the street. This hotel does NOT have entry security, metal detector or luggage screening. The breakfast room is in the lobby. Upon checking in the front desk informed us that taking breakfast in our room was available at no additional charge. That would be the more prudent move but, we ended up eating in the lobby. Unfortunately, anyone can walk into the lobby from the street and directly into the breakfast area unrestricted.

We wanted to visit the Hagia Sophia which opens at 9 am. On our visit the week prior we noted people standing inline outside the gate to the Hagia Sophia prior to its opening. We waited till about 9:05am to make the 3 min walk over and there was no line outside the gate. However there was a bit of a backup at the ticket windows. We were able to buy tickets, with a credit card TL40 per person, at the kiosk just to the left after entering the gates and thus bypass the ticket window line. We quickly moved past the turnstile/security X-ray/metal detector and into the building.

Upon exiting we needed to get back to the hotel to get bags to return to the airport. I did note, with much dismay, a large contingent of red jacketed security police in Sultan Ahmet square sitting around engrossed in their iPhones and not providing any security whatsoever. This is the spot where 12 people were killed in a bombing in January and the cops are looking at their phones not the people walking through the area!

We did the same 3 block walk from the hotel to our driver/van as the week prior. Not the most low key way to get a ride when you are carrying bags. Fortunately we had checked our luggage through to JFK and only had hand luggage.

Bottom line, in light of the recent events in Istanbul, caution is highly recommended. Make sure hotels have entry security. Follow the recommendations of security experts. This all does make you very paranoid. I have been traveling for more than 30 years including a flight to Rome the day after Lockerbie...so Im not one to let terrorists alter my plans but I don't think I will be returning to Istanbul anytime soon....no matter how cheap Turkish Airlines fares get.

We had booked these hotels because of their proximity to Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque knowing we would only have about an hour on each visit for sight seeing. We incorrectly assumed that all hotels in Istanbul had entry security. You can see the security in photos on some hotel websites....my recommendation ASK before you book. I wish we had.
Thank you for this.

I've been to Istanbul many times as my partner is half Turkish and was thinking about going again in August but I just don't know if I'll be as relaxed as normal.

There are plenty of other places to visit but we love Istanbul so much!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:21 am

As a US citizen,Is there a strong benifit to enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) program? We are traveling 6-May through 16-May to Istanbul and Cappadocia, the news is reporting two small explosions today.
I am seriously starting to think we should rescheduled this trip.

My primary concern is that vacation may not be relaxing if the city is on high alert or lock down.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
As a US citizen,Is there a strong benifit to enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) program? We are traveling 6-May through 16-May to Istanbul and Cappadocia, the news is reporting two small explosions today.
I am seriously starting to think we should rescheduled this trip.

My primary concern is that vacation may not be relaxing if the city is on high alert or lock down.
I hear you. While STEP is easy and may provide some information to you, it will not allay your fears.

The reality, however, is that you are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the airport than in a terror attack.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I hear you. While STEP is easy and may provide some information to you, it will not allay your fears.

The reality, however, is that you are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the airport than in a terror attack.
+1
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
the news is reporting two small explosions today.
Controlled detonations of abandoned packages.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA/AA
An emergency travel warning has been published (4/09/2016) on the website of the US embassy in Turkey:

Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya.

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm_040916.html
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I just spent a week in Turkey: three days in Cappadocia and four days in Istanbul. While in Istanbul, I stayed two blocks from Taksim Square at a hotel with no "extra security" to speak of, and I walked all around Sultanahmet, Taksim, Istiklal Street...

Despite all the media hype, I honestly felt far safer in Istanbul than at home in Chicago. Everything felt completely normal. The best part was that the major attractions were less crowded because so many people have an overblown fear of terrorism. I wouldn't hesitate to tell my friends/family to visit Istanbul right now or have them take any abnormal precautions.

People do a terrible job of assessing risk and relative probabilities—the risk of terrorism in Turkey is not nonexistent, but remains substantially lower than the risk of being killed in a much more mundane way (see: traffic accidents, getting too drunk and falling down the stairs, choking to death on dinner, etc.).
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Scifience
People do a terrible job of assessing risk and relative probabilities—the risk of terrorism in Turkey is not nonexistent, but remains substantially lower than the risk of being killed in a much more mundane way (see: traffic accidents, getting too drunk and falling down the stairs, choking to death on dinner, etc.).
Amen to that.

While I can perfectly understand people having fears and second guessing travel plans, we do need to look at it in a factual way. Being all part here in a community that has a love for flying, chances of us getting killed in a plane crash are probably much higher than being a victim of a terrorist attack. Yet, no-one here after a major crash would suddenly not step into a plane again.

Just unfortunately, the human brain works more complicated than just reading statistics. I always quote the numbers of the height of the Iraq war: in a full yeat, a California US soldier had a bigger chance of getting killed in a road accident at home, than on duty in Iraq. Yet, not many would volunteer to go to Baghdad, while no-one would hesitate navigating the LA traffic. Therefore, I can still perfectly understand those changing their travel plans.

I have visited Turkey as well recently (Istanbul, Ankara) for work, and soon will visit again, also including a few touristic stops. Even if I might have had slight worries it being just after the latest Turkish attacks, I felt perfectly safe and at ease.

And if terror attacks would be a guideline, why no-one is asking questions if London, Madrid or NY or the greater LA area are still safe places to visit? The sad fact nowadays is that terror can strike almost everywhere. Do we want to stay home, and let the terrorists win? I didn't think so.

But in the end, we all make the choice we are all comfortable with in our own minds.

Last edited by Romanianflyer; Apr 13, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Bear in mind that some of the travelers who have posted concerns here are not worried about being directly impacted by a terrorist event, which is extraordinarily minute. Their concerns have more to do with the reactions of the Turkish government to such attacks. That concern is much more well-founded than fear of the attack itself.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by NJTravlr

Bottom line, in light of the recent events in Istanbul, caution is highly recommended. Make sure hotels have entry security. Follow the recommendations of security experts.
Honestly, entrance security is extremely inconsistent in Turkey and sometimes seems to be more interested in enforcing "no outside food or beverages" (*cough* Crowne Plaza *cough*) policies than providing anything other than extremely transparent security theater. Entrance checkpoints are often unmanned, especially in the off-season, and I've been waived through without even walking through the WTMD more than 90% of the time at properties like the Ankara HiltonSA. Even at the splendid Conrad Beskitas there is a side entrance frequently open to the public with no security whatsoever as of my last visit, which makes me wonder if the true purpose of the security equipment in the lobby is to subtly reinforce the importance of the place, as if to state "we're such an upscale establishment that we consider ourselves a soft target." I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with these hotels - I'd be happy to stay again at either - but entry security provides such a hollow assurance of safety that I would never even consider it in choosing a hotel. Indeed, I'd actually argue that one would be much less of a target at a smaller, less upscale property with fewer international guests if one is worried enough to consider such risks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.