Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam to Ghent- Train or car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are 4 of us. We are spending three nights in Amsterdam in April followed by three nights in Ghent. We are debating Thalys to Antwerp, then IC to Ghent or doing a one way car rental. Not a big price difference, just wondering how nice is the drive, vs the scenery and more relaxing train ride.

Also thinking we might take earlish train to Antwerp, store our luggage there and take in a few sights and lunch in Antwerp then catch IC to Ghent (site says we can take any train that day)

But if we have car, we could do that too, just have to find parking.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Jan 25, 2015 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
If you don't have too much luggage and don't plan to stop in rural locations (such as, for example, Kinderdijk) I'd opt for the train. Easy, hassle-free and it gets you to your destination.
Depending on the exact day and time you plan to drive, roads can be very busy anywhere between Amsterdam and Ghent.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:55 pm

Exactly. Use the train for this. The route isn't particularly interesting, and very busy. The only reason that I can imagine to do this by car is if you have an interest in engineering and want to visit the Zuiderzee works in Zeeland (which would mean skipping Antwerpen and taking a route closer to the coast to get to Gent.)
Your plan to stop in Antwerpen is a good one. (Make sure to move away from the area around the station and visit the old town near the river.)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Finding parking in Antwerp is no problem if you are willing to pay. But getting in/out of the city in the morning/evening is a challenge to say the least. Depending of where you are staying in Ghent, figure out what station to get off. Train stops in Dampoort (nort-east) and the St Pieters (south)
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Train it is then. Looks like both Ghent stations are too far to walk to Marriott and with 4 plus luggage we will do cab.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
we will do cab.
Maybe a local can confirm, but I'm not sure there are taxis waiting at Dampoort. (There are always taxis available at the main station, St-Pieters.)
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Security on Belgian train traffic ex-NL

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Train it is then.
Thank you for protecting our environment here in Benelux, train is friendlier!

However, it could be informative to drive through Zeeland (the estuary-rich bits of our coasts). You will see the delicate balance twixt people and other species/ecosystems, how we try to co-exist with the North Sea. She will win in the end, but in the meantime, take a look at our human efforts to tame her!

Then drive on to Ghent, and enjoy.

BTW: the Belgian railways, at least in the Antwerp area, for traffic ex-NL, have an awfully-well-deserved reputation for being infested with the some of the richest concentrations of thugs, thieves and thuch-like. To be respectful to our NAF (No... Af.....) co-dwellers, let me say that these include some of the best candidates for being hand-picked by the judges of Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Moldava and more - were they to exist. Allegedly. They are brutal, brutish and probly targetting you. Take care.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have read that luggage snatching is quite a problem. We will stay alert. We will also head to the main station for taxi availability since they are about the same distance from the hotel,
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I recommend driving.

In April, you will find miles and miles and bulbs in bloom. See here for some idea:

http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Blog/...-Bloemen-Route

Don't miss Keukenhof Gardens where 7 millions bulbs planted annually, and many are in bloom in April.

You could drive to check out some windmills too!

Some pics that cover most of your trip are here:
http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Europe/Netherlands

You pick the perfect hotel, the Marriott Ghent. It has an underground parking. Elite is given comp breakfast in restaurant and voucher for drinks and app in evening. Request for a room(s) facing canal.

Safe travel.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
There's also a direct connection Amsterdam - Ghent with the Megabus, takes about 4 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.