Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on Transportation between multiple cities

Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Would like to visit the following cities on an upcoming trip. For those with experience, could you please advise on what you recommend method of travel between these stops? night train, eurostar, fly?

London --> Brussels or Amsterdam --> Prague --> Venice --> Paris --> Barcelona

Thank you!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ericle37
Would like to visit the following cities on an upcoming trip. For those with experience, could you please advise on what you recommend method of travel between these stops? night train, eurostar, fly?

London --> Brussels or Amsterdam --> Prague --> Venice --> Paris --> Barcelona
For London to Brussels, definitely take the Eurostar. From Brussels to Amsterdam, you have the Thalys or the cheaper intercity train. You should probably fly to Prague unless you have a lot of time to take the train. Prague to Venice is probably also a flight, which would incur a connection likely at FRA or MUC. Personally I rented a car once on that trip and explored the countryside which was wonderful. Venice to Paris can be done by train with a single transfer at Milan, which you could also spend a half-day at. There are both day and night trains between Milan and Paris. And Paris to Barcelona can be done by TGV but it's a long trip doing a loop east through Lyon before heading south and stopping a multiple cities. I did Lyon-Barcelona round trip by train once and it was nothing to write home about. So I'd probably fly to Barcelona. Even driving Paris to Barcelona is boring if you take the autoroute.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
As stimpy said, London to Brussels: Eurostar. London to Amsterdam: better to fly but could to Eurostar to Brussels then another train to Amsterdam. To Prague: fly from BRU, AMS or CRL (Ryanair...).

If flying, look into re-ordering the sequence, there is no relation between distance and price.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
For Amsterdam, one other option to consider is Train + Overnight Ferry + Train. You leave London something like 7pm, and get into Amsterdam for about 10am, having had a decent night's sleep and not having had to pay for a hotel. Given hotel prices in both London and Amsterdam, that can work out a decent saving!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
For Amsterdam, one other option to consider is Train + Overnight Ferry + Train. You leave London something like 7pm, and get into Amsterdam for about 10am, having had a decent night's sleep and not having had to pay for a hotel. Given hotel prices in both London and Amsterdam, that can work out a decent saving!
That is definitely a good option for that part of the trip.

For the AMS--> Prague part I would prefer a short Easyjet or CSA flight over the night train between both cities (which is in many cases more expensive than the Easyjet flight).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.