Wiki Posts
Search

2 weeks in Poland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

2 weeks in Poland

Hello, everybody

I am starting to plan holidays for this year. Im currently in Poland for a business trip and this country has intrigued me. I want to spend 2 weeks of my vacations here. Sight-seeing is not my priority, but its a "secondary objective" I heard good opinions about this country, they say its has very varied landscape and a lot of history in it. Im looking for a quiet, peaceful place, no crowds, good landscapes and a hotel with SPA. As mentioned before, sight-seeing is not a must for me but its a plus Which part of this beautiful country would you suggest me to visit in the first place?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:21 pm

Hi there, Eirual

First of all, Poland is a great pick. Like you say, it's a very varied country with a lot of places to see. In the first place, you should look for a place, not a hotel. If you don't want crowds, you will obviously have to avoid polish cities, which is too bad, cause they are worth visiting and sight-seeing. If you look for a quiet, peaceful place with good landscapes you will either want to go to Tatra or Bieszczady mountains, Mazury ("Realm of a thousand Lakes") or seaside. Look it up on the web and tell us what fits you best, im sure I (and hopefully other members) will be able to advice you on your plans
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: *G
such a big place. so many options.

try gdansk, a seaport city, but stay in dwor oliwski, a nearby hotel and spa hidden in seclusion.

famously the german national team stayed there during the 2012 euro.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Ok, that place looks charming and I heard Gdansk is a great city to see and it surely is an option. But what are the other places worth seeing?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:52 pm

Consider Tatra Mountains. Nothing more chilling than having a walk on a hiking trail and enjoying the nature. I specifically recommend you to go to Murzasichle. Very chilly place with a lot of good restaurants (regional and one very good italian restaurant) and place to have a walk. It's 20 kilometers from Zakopane and I'd say 30 from slovakian boarderline so you could visit 2 countries actually The problem is, as far as i remember there is no hotel with SPA in Murzasichle, if you're looking for this check bukowina tatrzanska, its about 10 from Murzasichle.

~nindrit
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

I'll have a look, thanks. Is there anything worth seeing in Zakopane? Like museums, monuments, churches? I like to have a plan B if the weather sucks i can always do some sight-seeing
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: price is a king
Welcome to FT Eirual!

Yes, Poland indeed is a great pick and I'm glad to hear that you want to explore it. Timing is key - when would you like to come? Any flexibility here? I like to use late May for trips in the country - already warm(ish) but no tourists.

My top 5 locations to see in Poland:
- Hel peninsula - beach, woods and the fresh air
- Mazury - lake region
- Kaszuby - lake & hill region
- Dolny Slask (Lower Silesia) - forrest, mountains, fresh air
- Bieszczady - faaaar from civilizaiton
In each one of them you can find proper guest houses (from * to *****) where you can enjoy nature and silence. All depends on your wallet.

My top cities to hang out, eat, drink etc (not in a priority order):
- Wroclaw
- Krakow
- Gdansk/Sopot/Gdynia
- Poznan
- Warszawa (believe or not).

As opposed to advice above DO AVOID Zakopane. Overcrowded, overpriced, overhyped, hard to get to. We'll find you sth else if you really like mountains.

I'd be happy to help you further - just let me know few top items you care about (ie wine tasting, food, churches, Jewish history, nature, clubs, adult entertainment, IIWW routes, pre-medieval history, architecture, live music) as well as your travel habits (1st class Lufthansa & Intercontinental, Business & Westin, Economy & Holiday Inn, train & hostel). SO. MANY. OPTIONS. Just please do not respond "a bit of all of above items"

best from Warsaw
mfk
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Another vote for Zakopane, from personal experience. The Mercure is a bit of a walk out of town, but not to far if, like me, you don't mind a nice stroll. They should have a spa and a heated pool, and a ski slope behind the hotel. Marvelous location to relax and spend a few days.

I forget where, but somewhere further along the border in that part of Poland is a cable car where, once you reach the top, you can stand in Poland, Slovakia and Czechoslovakia all at once.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for your responses.

I'll get there by car so don't bother about transportation
About thing i like to do while travelling:

Like I mentioned, im not the biggest fan of sight-seeing (museums, monuments etc), though I know Poland hs a rich history and it'd be a sin if i didn't see any of it. WW II and medieval I think, but then again - it's not a priority at all, so don't focus on this. As far as sight-seeing is concerned, Im much more for seeing nature and landscapes.

About time - Originally I was planning my trip for May/June but it seems i won't get my holidays from work then. In that case i'll be speeding it up. Im gonna go for holidays in mid Ferbruary / early March.

I'll be going with my fiance, we want to use SPA and enjoy a really quiet and relaxing place. I imagine, that during the winter mountains will not be a place for us (skiing, winter holidays, which equals HORDES of parents with kids I assume ). What are rather rare tour courses during this time of year in Poland ?
Once again, thank you for your involvement and advices
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:09 am

Well, you're looking for something quite unusual then. I'd say polish seaside or Mazury is for you as - i think - it's not too popular route during the winter, so no crowds are likely.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

How about Mazury? It's the region with lakes, right? I can think of canoeing and cruising there, but I don't thnink i'll canoe during the winter What's more to do there, can you suggest any nice, specific place?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:49 pm

Well, there are lakes so most activities are connected to it that's obvious. Mazury are beautiful, so you could just walk around and admire landscapes :P Your hotel with SPA would have to provide you with all the fun
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Eirual
I'll have a look, thanks. Is there anything worth seeing in Zakopane? Like museums, monuments, churches? I like to have a plan B if the weather sucks i can always do some sight-seeing
Yes, there are. Zakopane and Tatra mountains in general was always a source of inspiration for polish elits - i.e writers, poets, painters and so on. For instance one of Tatra peaks - Kasprowy Wierch is named after polish writer - Kasprowicz. So obviously there are galeries, museums about elites, that were connected to Zakopane the most. There's not too much of this kind of attractions, you won't learn as much about polish culture as if you had been in Cracow or Warsaw but in my opinion it is enough for a "Plan B" :P
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:19 pm

Tatra mountains are lovely indeed, but like OP said - it's best to avoid it during the winter if you value peace and quiet :P And believe me, Zakopane is so crowded during the winter. On the other hand, not much else comes to my mind, considering that you want to make your trip in February or March. Perhaps you should think of Bieszczady, like MichalFKowalik said - it's faar away from civilization :P
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by Eirual
[..] Im gonna go for holidays in mid February / early March.
oh, that will be quite cold, but still good for an outside activities.

In the recent years tens of really good spots have been open - SPAs / country houses etc. I have an allergy for Zakopane (as probably 75% of Polish population).

To cut long story short - Mazury or Bieszczady is a place for you to go. Quite remote from major airports (3hs driving) but worth the effort. I did some google search and there are several interesting options for you to stay. Just you, fiance and nature

mfk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.