Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Greek island for 1-2 day visit in Feb

Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I would like to do a day trip from Athens and fly to one of the islands. This will be around mid-February. I've looked at Crete and Rhodes but open to other suggestions.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by vd0t
I would like to do a day trip from Athens and fly to one of the islands. This will be around mid-February. I've looked at Crete and Rhodes but open to other suggestions.
Corfu, Santorini, Zakynthos, Paros, Milos, Rhodes, Kos, Samos and many more.
Crete is to big to cover it in 1-2 days.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I don't need to cover everything.. which of those would be best around mid-Feb?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA/AA
If the weather clear, i would go to Santorini for the views of the caldera. My second choice would be Mykonos. Beautiful harborfront setting, and you can take a local ferry and visit the sacred island of Delos.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:46 pm

As the weather may be bad, I'd choose one where you can "do something" if it rains (rain in winter mat last long). Thus, I'd choose a semi-large one with a "big" city (e.g. Corfu, Rhodes, Lesbos) and also plan a rental car to see as much as you can.

PS My wife goes swimming in February, but she's an exception. Water temperature in Crete is ~16-17 oC.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Coming from the Nordics, 16-17 would be amazing in February
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

1-2 days is not a lot of time especially, as some have mentioned, in February when weather is iffy. The other issue with weather is that with such a short time you run a risk of travel delays, or worse, cancellations getting off what ever island you choose...the rule of thumb is to always be in Athens the night before your departure from Greece.

I would consider sticking to the mainland and exploring a few more days around Athens. Nafplion comes to mind.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
1-2 days is not a lot of time especially, as some have mentioned, in February when weather is iffy. The other issue with weather is that with such a short time you run a risk of travel delays, or worse, cancellations getting off what ever island you choose...the rule of thumb is to always be in Athens the night before your departure from Greece.

I would consider sticking to the mainland and exploring a few more days around Athens. Nafplion comes to mind.
I also thought of that (Nafplion is an excellent idea), or even take the boat for a day trip to Aegina or Poros, but then I realised that vd0t may want to get two flights with A3 to reduce the number of miles required to maintain status. @:-)
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:28 pm

Personally, I would go to Rhodes or Crete. Both are open sans tourists in Feb. If in Crete, I'd go to Rethymno and Chania, and if there's time, the Samaria Gorge and Knossos.

In Rhodes, there would be plenty to see in Old Town, and perhaps an excursion to Lindos.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by BillyDWilliazs1
Personally, I would go to Rhodes or Crete. Both are open sans tourists in Feb. If in Crete, I'd go to Rethymno and Chania, and if there's time, the Samaria Gorge and Knossos.

In Rhodes, there would be plenty to see in Old Town, and perhaps an excursion to Lindos.
Several things to remember here. Firstly the OP wants to do a day trip from Athens, so there has to be a morning flight from Athens to the island and an evening flight back from whichever island he visits. That cuts out some of the islands on the winter timetable, but does leave Rhodes and Chania or Heraklion on Crete amongst others including Kos, Lesbos, Samos, Chios, Santorini and on some days of the week Mykonos and Corfu.
Secondly, on Crete, there's only time to do one of the four suggestions and get back to the airport to catch the Athens flight the same day. The Samaria Gorge is out anyway as it is closed to visitors in the winter due to the high incidence of flooding and rockfalls.
Personally I'd go for Rhodes as if it does pour down there are museums and galleries to visit, and if it is dry the Old City without tourists is spectacular.
Santorini has great views if it is dry, but nothing to do if it isn't. February is in the rainy season in Greece, and the days are still short as well.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by david4455

Excellent point for the OP to keep in mind. Not only to be in Athens the night before but two days before. You would not be the first person stuck on an island and missed their flight from Athens.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

This is just me...

Unless, as suggested, this trip to an island is for a mileage run, I would NEVER attempt a 1-2 day island jaunt in February. You will hardly see anything and you run a good risk of travel issues. There is so much to do in and around Athens I could spend a week or more there. Walk the Anafiotika neighborhood around the base of the Acropolis. Some same it is more Greek island- like than the Greek islands!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We are planning a similiar trip for May of 2016. We will fly into Athens and home from Instanbul around 15 days later. I have plenty of Hilton points to use so hotels in these 2 cities will not be a problem. I would love some advice on the middle 10 days, we would prefer to take ferries over flying and would of course like to stay at Hilton properties as much as possible to save money. We don't mind changing hotels every 2/3 days so 3 stops between Athens and Instanbul would be about right. This might be a question better suited to the Hilton forum but I would think posters here are pretty knowledgable about Hilton choices?

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BillyDWilliazs1

The gorge is closed till May, and to see all of what you suggest in Crete you certainly need more than 2 days.

PS By the way, I've often to both Rethymno and Chania in the winter: very beautiful but rather depressing (sort of like Venice in the winter)

Last edited by KLouis; Dec 3, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew
We are planning a similiar trip for May of 2016. We will fly into Athens and home from Instanbul around 15 days later. I have plenty of Hilton points to use so hotels in these 2 cities will not be a problem. I would love some advice on the middle 10 days, we would prefer to take ferries over flying and would of course like to stay at Hilton properties as much as possible to save money. We don't mind changing hotels every 2/3 days so 3 stops between Athens and Instanbul would be about right. This might be a question better suited to the Hilton forum but I would think posters here are pretty knowledgable about Hilton choices?

Thanks
I'll have to disappoint you a first time: I am not aware of any Hiltons between Athens and Istanbul, on either continent or island.

And now a second time: Using a ferry to get from Athens (Piraeus, Rafina, Lavrio) is not possible. You could get a very going to one of the North Aegean islands (Lesbos, Samos, Limnos, etc.) but then you'd have to eventually get to either Kavala or Alexandroupolis and continue by car.

And a good piece of news. You'll be able to find several good and affordable hotels throughout Greece in May. This is not yet the high season.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.