Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road Trip or Guided Tour for WWII Sites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Road Trip or Guided Tour for WWII Sites

I'm planning a Europe tour this summer and can't decide whether I should rent a car and make up my own itinerary or if I should look into joining a tour group and going that route. I plan on basing my itinerary around some of the major WWII sites.

I know renting a car and doing my own thing would be cheaper and allow for more freedom but the group thing has its appeal as well.

Just looking for suggestions and as always thank you.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Europe isn't small, and very little of it avoided being touched by World War 2....

What kinds of WW2 sites are you interested in? Ones with American involvement? Ones with a strong Jewish angle? Ones related to aviation, or naval, or submarines, or rockets? Ones related to espionage and/or code breaking? Ones related to the eastern front? Ones relating to occupation? Ones relating to the rebuilding after the war? Ones relating to the post-WW2 divisions of Europe? Something else?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Indeed - a "whistlestop" WW2 tour (if there is such a thing) for me would be London, the Norman coast, Berlin, Auschwitz/Birkenau.

A little more time, and there's sites like Dresden and Warsaw, the Anne Frank house, the Channel Islands.

This is a good place to start:

http://www.historvius.com/world-war-two-sites/pe169
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the information.

Gagravarr: I wish I could tell you what exactly fascinates me more but to answer your questions - YES!
I understand what you're saying but it is hard for me to narrow it down. I'm fascinated by all of it.

stut: I will check out the site and do a bit more planning.

I think I have already answered my own question. I love the idea of a tour because everything is ready to go and the guides will know more than I can figure out on my own but I want to have the flexibility to venture off and follow a different path.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
You might be best planning your own tour then, and arranging local guides at key sites of interest.

So, perhaps start by picking a theme for your trip. Next, work out some of the key places to visit for that theme. For those, find out if there are guides there, and if the free ones will be enough (eg at Bletchley Park you might find the free guides enough, unless you're really into your Crypto). Book additional guides / private tours for those where you'll want more.

With that in place, work out how to get between the sites, and then find other less known WW2 sites / museums / locations roughly on those paths. Finally, book local guides there, perhaps via the local tourist information office or a local historical society.

That might require a little bit more planning than just pulling out a credit card and booking onto a group tour, but I suspect you'll have a much better experience! There's a fair chance that your best experience will be with some local historical buff guiding somewhere who really knows their stuff, and who shows you things you'd never have thought of!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think the other aspect of a guided tour is that it could be pretty relentless. There were heroics during WWII, of course, but there was also, of course, unimaginable horror. And as you head through the Netherlands to Germany and Poland, this can become quite overwhelming (have a look in the Trip Reports forum for a very well written account of a visit to Auschwitz-Birkenau).

But these are wonderful places, with a history far wider than the 6 wartime years. The counterculture that built up in Berlin in the aftermath of the war and subsequent division has led to it being a spirited, fascinating city. Krakow's history and beauty are outstanding. Amsterdam's laid-back, worldly attitude is a perfect reflection of its people. The Norman coast is a beautiful spot, with great old-school resorts, wonderful local produce and pretty, half-timbered towns. It would be a terrible shame not to experience the present-day locations alongside their past.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by stut
It would be a terrible shame not to experience the present-day locations alongside their past.
I can't agree more. Diving into that horrific past (especially in Poland / Germany) might leave you with completely wrong impression for the rest of your life. Spend few hours in one of the key places (as mentioned earlier - Berlin, Krakow/Auschwitz/Netherlands/Normandy/London) but do spend x10 more time in those places outside WWII monuments.

Few weeks ago I've been in Jerusalem for a bday dinner. Very good waitress asked where we're from. "Poland, have you ever been there?".

Guess what she said - she's been there and visited Auschwitz, Treblinka and Warsaw Ghetto. She doesn't want to go back.

We don't want this to happen to you as well.

mfk
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauthau...entration_camp
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Maybe something like this?
Beyond Band of Brothers Tour
http://www.beyondbandofbrothers.com/...FSwV7Aod1BIAQA

Or this...
The "real" deal. Not cheap but I'll but it's pretty infomative.
http://stephenambrosetours.com/band-of-brothers-tours
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Overlord or Operation Overlord offers superb tours of Normandy's WWII sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.