Wiki Posts
Search

180-day rule for short-stay schengen visa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
180-day rule for short-stay schengen visa

I'm traveling to Europe for work this weekend and wanted to take my wife with me. It's too late to apply for a Schengen from NY unfortunately, but my wife had an existing multi-stay schengen from our trip in July.

I have a question that relates to whether this Schengen visa is still effective...the expiration date on the Schengen states end of October. However, our first entry from the original trip to Europe was in July, and I had read that the 180-day "clock" for entering the Schengen zone starts at first entry, which would mean the "clock" is still running for another month.

Does the fact that the expiration date has passed definitively mean that the Schengen visa has expired? Or does the "180-day rule" still apply?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:35 pm

I think you are getting confused between two things here... visa validity, and the "90 days out of any 180" rule.

A visa is not valid after its expiry date, regardless of the date of first entry or the number of days spent in Schengen since then.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Aviatrix is correct. Your wife's visa has definitely expired and she will not be allowed to board the plane if she needs a visa. The '180 days' rule you were referring to is that one can't spend more than 90 days during any 180 days in the Schengen area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.