Wiki Posts
Search

English in Europe and Money Management

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Hello guys,

I want to know if you can give me an overview about the countries where english is good or isn't good. Countries I want to go this and next year:
Austria and Switzerland, Scandinavia, BeNeLux, Italy and Balkan, Baltic states and Hungary + Rumania.

Would be nice if someone can help me if the english is good there.

On my first flights I went to London (ok - no problems) and to Spain - Madrid. A huge porblem to communicate in english.

I want to go to Austra/Switzerland and Scandinavia. I read some articles and so on, that those countries aren't the chepest.

East-Switzerland/West-Austria I want to try skiing and maybe visit Vienna. Scandinavia (Sweden and Norway) I want to travel around.

For example: In Spain i got a large beer for 1 Euro in Madrid. Is this normal in Europe or do I have to calculate with more?
I know that Sweden has an extra tax on alcoholic drinks, so it will be more expensive.

Thank you.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by l1k3m3
I want to know if you can give me an overview about the countries where english is good or isn't good. Countries I want to go this and next year:
Austria and Switzerland, Scandinavia, BeNeLux, Italy and Balkan, Baltic states and Hungary + Rumania.

I want to go to Austra/Switzerland and Scandinavia. I read some articles and so on, that those countries aren't the chepest.

East-Switzerland/West-Austria I want to try skiing and maybe visit Vienna. Scandinavia (Sweden and Norway) I want to travel around.

For example: In Spain i got a large beer for 1 Euro in Madrid. Is this normal in Europe or do I have to calculate with more?
I know that Sweden has an extra tax on alcoholic drinks, so it will be more expensive.

Thank you.
Your questions are remarkably broad and cover many different countries.
There is no one answer. You cannot generalize about "more" or "less" English in particular countries. Depending on where you are and who you are speaking to will determine if that person may speak English.
Your question is country and situation-dependent.
If you are in central Zurich, a center of international finance and business, you can navigate around without speaking Swiss-German or even High German.
If you are in a village in the Swiss Alps, English is less likely ... unless perhaps you are in a ski resort in-season.
As to the cost of beer ... the Dollar is worth a little more these days, but it's not much ... your 1 Euro for a large beer in Madrid may have been the local equivalent of Happy Hour, or similar. So don't count on too many of those in your future.
Beer will likely cost you the equivalent anywhere from $7++.
Europe, in general, is more expensive than the US for quite a few things.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Norway is very, very expensive. I would imagine that Sweden is too.

I've traveled around Switzerland with no trouble, speaking only English. I've traveled in Norway and Finland with no problems. Generally, around tourist areas, someone will speak English.

The dollar is getting stronger, but I can't imagine where you got a beer for 1 euro in Spain unless it was some sort of special (happy hour) sort of thing.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Scandinavia is very expensive, for just about anything. The rest of Europe is about like the a West Coast of the US in terms of prices.

In Western Europe, you'll be able to get by without many language problems, as many in the cities speak some English and will help out if you need it. As you get further east, the frequency of English speakers may become less.

Try to learn at least the day to day pleasantries in each language-it will help you get around, and let people see you are trying to be a good guest.

Above all, Have Fun! It will be a great experience, and you will meet a lot of nice people.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Switzerland is pretty expensive as well.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Usually the richest countries are the most expensive, though there are exceptions. From your list I'd rate Scandinavia and Switzerland as the most expensive, followed by BeNeLux, Austria, Italy and countries of Eastern Europe.
English is more or less understood in tourist areas of all these countries, the most problematic will be the Baltics & the Balkans. In less visited places you might have problems communicating in English anywhere except the Scandinavian countires.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Odd - I've been to Madrid and know only very limited Spanish, but had no problems communicating. In fact, there are few places in Europe where it's been a significant challenge.

People in urban Scandinavia and the Low Countries tend to speak English of a quality that would put plenty native speakers to shame. In other countries, it depends where you go - if you're in tourist or international business areas, the chances of finding someone who speaks good English is higher. If you're in a country or region with a number of languages, or a little-spoken language, then you'll often find English is used as a lingua franca (e.g. Belgium).

However, communication is, IMO, an attitude thing. Don't expect people to speak your language, and it's polite to at least learn greetings and pleasantries before you visit - it's really not hard. If you don't have a strong common language, use easily understood words and idiom, be demonstrative and patient, greet the person in their language, and smile. You'll get there eventually.

If you're visiting the Balkan states, you may want to learn a little Cyrillic, too - it's not hard to decipher, and can really help in areas where there's little Latin script.

Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia will be the more expensive parts of your journey with Norway the most expensive, and Sweden and Denmark varying depending on what you're looking at. There are ways to get by quite easily, though.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
..Try to learn at least the day to day pleasantries in each language-ople.
And how to order a beer/bier and say thank you in several langauges
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:35 am

Your question consists many points:

As i can say from my own experience

Language:

Austria, Norway, Switzerland and Sweden are top countries for the language. Abroad the large cities I would talk to the younger people <35-40 because they have english since they are young at school.
Of course it can happen when you go into a small pizza shop in Stockholm that the shop assistent cannot speak english.
I would say if you need someone to ask it is 4/5 in those large cities who can speak english. Especially in Restaurants, Bars, Shopps, etc. I know in Austria (Vienna), Switzerland (Bern) and Sweden (Stockholm) you need to speak English to get the job (f.e. in a restaurant) in the "first district".
Also when you go skiing there should be no problem with english.
3/5 I would give BeNeLux.
2/5 I would give Italy, but in Rome you have many tourist guides who speak english.

Balkan and Baltic I cannot say, but what i can say in Romania it was horrible with english. Really.

Money:

Well I am sorry to say but you picked out the 4 most expensive countries.
When you go to Oslo and Zurich and also the big skiing regions in Austria aren't cheap.

You have a complete wrong calculation with your price. forget the 1€ or 2€ price in the countries AUT, NOR, SUI, SWE

As you say, Sweden has a special tax on alcohol. It costs about 6 euros there. In Norway 8-9 € and what I can say from Zell am See (skiing region in Austria) the beer costs 5,5 euros. Switzerland is between 5 and 8 €.

To the other countries i just can say that it is cheaper. FOR SURE.

Check for cheap hotels in the countries, but cheap and skiing in a big ski region in Austria and Switzerland is hardly possible.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by l1k3m3
Hello guys,

Would be nice if someone can help me if the english is good there.

On my first flights I went to London (ok - no problems) and to Spain - Madrid. A huge porblem to communicate in english.

Thank you.
no problems with language in austria switzerland belgium netherlands luxembourg italy hungary and the 3 baltic states

higher chances in some parts of balkans and smaller places in romania. although pretty much young people anywhere in europe will speak english and so will those with businesses catered to tourist trade

you are going to pay through-the-nose in switzerland and scandinavia.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:23 am

No matter where you go in Europe there will usually be SOMEONE who speaks English. If the first person doesn't try someone else. If you can't find anyone who speaks English try to communicate in some other way - gestures, drawing pictures, whatever. And smile at people!

You can easily buy things by pointing at them. You can buy train tickets by writing the destination and date on a piece of paper. You can ask directions by writing down the name of the place you're going to. With a bit of lateral thinking lots of things are possible without having a common language. It's a challenge - and it's fun, and it will give you immense satisfaction if it works.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Beer will likely cost you the equivalent anywhere from $7++.
In 5 star hotels, you may be right.

In normal bars, beers are anywhere between €1 - € 4 in most countries mentioned by the OP so in USD terms that would be USD 1.25 to USD 5 at current exchange rates. Cheaper in supermarkets. And no need to tip the waiter!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
In 5 star hotels, you may be right.

In normal bars, beers are anywhere between €1 - € 4 in most countries mentioned by the OP so in USD terms that would be USD 1.25 to USD 5 at current exchange rates. Cheaper in supermarkets. And no need to tip the waiter!
there's always the immigrants selling beers out of their backpacks in madrid and barcelona for a flat 1€
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I don't find Austria that expensive - though i've never been skiing there and the resorts probably are more expensive. It isn't a cheap country but it's a bit cheaper than Britain and way cheaper than Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Noway (which seems to be the most expensive of the lot).

Language wise, my experience is that in major Western European cities/tourist hotspots you will have no trouble if the only language you speak is English. I don't know what things are like in the Balkans, Baltics or Romania. You'd have no problems in Budapest but the rest of Hungary might be a different matter
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I was just in Ghent and Aalst, Belgium (Flanders region) a couple weeks ago and had no trouble with not being able to speak Dutch. Everyone I spoke to under about 50 years old spoke English perfectly as a second language. I had a couple minor issues conversing with two separate seniors, but I was still able to get the point across.

By the way, Ghent is a wonderful city and absolutely worth a stop ^

Last edited by Lost; Nov 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.