Wiki Posts
Search

Europe custom question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Europe custom question

Can anyone exain customs in Europe? It's been a long time since I te alled through myiple countries on the same itinerary and quite honestly I don't remember how it was handled. I'm traveling FCO-MUC-EWR. Do I need to coect my bags in MUC and recheck them? Or wi I check them all the way through and go through customs in EWR? It's a connection in MUC for 2 hours so no stopover or anything like that, the entire flight is on LH.

TIA
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Customs and immigration are handled by separate agencies in Europe, and each process is determined by different international agreements. However...

For FCO-MUC-EWR, you won't have to recheck your bags on the same itinerary.

FCO-MUC will be like a domestic flight (although you'll have to present a passport at check-in). You'll go through emigration checks at MUC, and probably enhanced security for the MUC-EWR flight. Then you'll go through immigration and customs checks at EWR.

MUC is a very nice airport to connect at - 2h is plenty.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Great info, thank you very much.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:49 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Europe Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stut
although you'll have to present a passport at check-in
Not always...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:35 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You should if your final destination is Newark, shouldn't you?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Not always...
If you check bags you'll have to show ID. If you mean "boarding", then indeed you do not always have to show ID.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
If you check bags you'll have to show ID. If you mean "boarding", then indeed you do not always have to show ID.
No way you can board a flight from anywhere in Europe to EWR without showing a passport: they do check visa/citizenship when initiating the trip.

Also, in the places where you "always" have to show the passport (i.e. even on domestic flights such as in Greece) you do that at both check-in and actual boarding, independent of whether you've checked luggage or not. Of course, LH in Germany doesn't ask for a passport when boarding Schengen flights, but this is really an exception.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Of course, LH in Germany doesn't ask for a passport when boarding Schengen flights, but this is really an exception.
KLM no longer ask for ID at the gate for Schengen flights. This has been the case for a couple of years or so.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Also, in the places where you "always" have to show the passport (i.e. even on domestic flights such as in Greece) you do that at both check-in and actual boarding, independent of whether you've checked luggage or not. Of course, LH in Germany doesn't ask for a passport when boarding Schengen flights, but this is really an exception.
What your wrote is incorrect and LH is not an exception as more and more airports stop checking IDs at gate.

Who "checks in" for short Schengen flights? Typically you'd have only a carry on, use a mobile boarding pass or a printed one which gets you through security. There are never passport controls at security at any airport that I'm aware of and I think I've been to most in Europe. Plus several airports like AMS, VIE, at times BCN and others have stopped checking at gates.

You would be a moron to go to an airport without your EU ID or passport, but "needing" one is becoming increasingly rare.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by JamesEaston
What your wrote is incorrect and LH is not an exception as more and more airports stop checking IDs at gate.

Who "checks in" for short Schengen flights? Typically you'd have only a carry on, use a mobile boarding pass or a printed one which gets you through security. There are never passport controls at security at any airport that I'm aware of and I think I've been to most in Europe. Plus several airports like AMS, VIE, at times BCN and others have stopped checking at gates.

You would be a moron to go to an airport without your EU ID or passport, but "needing" one is becoming increasingly rare.
The fact that you've been to Europe often does not mean that you know all of Europe that well. Aviatrix said that also KLM no longer controls passports at the gate (I was nor aware of that), but this annoying process is definitely not yet abolished throughout the continent:

1) "Short Schengen flights" can be more than 3-4 hours long. Still, many people do check their luggage (I guess this is what you meant by checking in) and the length of the flight is absolutely irrelevant
2) I never said anything about passport control at security. Indeed, a passport/ID was never required in contrast to the BC.
3) Gates/CI: Italy, UK, Greece, Cyprus, France and possibly more. Moreover, what do you mean by "at times BCN"? It's the airlines and/or the Governments making the rules and not the airports.

The simple fact is that you never know ahead which airport/airline will ask for one.

As for somebody being a moron when not having one, again don't be that absolute, some people are simply forgetful.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Who "checks in" for short Schengen flights?
lol... short?
VIE - BCN ~2:30h
and me. I carry in the most case some knifes, water and other liquid's with me.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by ToGo
lol... short?
VIE - BCN ~2:30h
and me. I carry in the most case some knifes, water and other liquid's with me.
I think HEL to TFS would be the longest scheduled Schengen Flight.

ANR-SEN seems to be the shortest non-Schengen I've got off the top of my head.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 pm
Suspended

are the french guayana and the other French or Netherlands Islands Schengen Member to?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ToGo
are the french guayana and the other French or Netherlands Islands Schengen Member to?
No, I believe that they're outside the Schengen area. They are also not covered by ordinary Schengen visas, so if one requires visas for these places they would have to be applied for separetely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.