ZRH connection question - customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard

I have an upcoming itinerary MAN-ZRH-STR and return on LX.

As it is a weekend away with the guys, I am thinking of buying a bottle of something malt whisky-esque on the outbound. It is legit from a customs perspective to use my ZRH BP to access duty free goods at MAN, even though my itinerary ends again inside the EU?

Also - what channel should I use to clear at STR? Blue or Green?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Are the prices actually any different?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Potentially not but as I am travelling hand baggage only my only option is to buy airside.

If I can do it I will. If I can't I won't.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
SHouldn't really make any difference. The only thing that's duty free about duty free is the name. You'll be charged exactly the same price irrespective of where you're going to.
You'll go through immigration into the Schengen zone when you transit in ZRH, but not through customs (as Switzerland is not part of the European customs union). In theory, there ought to be a customs check in STR. I haven't been through STR recently, but my experience on flights from Switzerland into the EU is that the odds of a customs inspection are extremely remote. You'd probably be hard put to even find a customs official on arrival. In any case, as your duty free isn't really duty free, I don't imagine you would have any difficulty.
You do need to ensure that the bottle is properly bagged to go through transit security in ZRH, i.e. a sealed transparent bag with the receipt clearly visible.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:00 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I'm happy to be corrected on any of the following...

Originally Posted by catandmouse
You'll go through immigration into the Schengen zone when you transit in ZRH, but not through customs (as Switzerland is not part of the European customs union).
The OP would not go through customs in ZRH but the reason for this is not because CH is outside the EU, rather that the customs checks are only done (or not done as may be the case) when one is exiting the airport into Zurich

In theory, there ought to be a customs check in STR. I haven't been through STR recently, but my experience on flights from Switzerland into the EU is that the odds of a customs inspection are extremely remote. You'd probably be hard put to even find a customs official on arrival.
I've never been to STR, but at least in the UK there is a blue channel for EU arrivals (strictly speaking EU customs area arrivals) which is separate from the red and green channels for non-EU arrivals; I seem to remember that this is the case in some German airports, but in others one passes through the same physical customs channel and the "colour" of the channel is adjusted depending on the arrival. In any case it is true that the channel is unlikely to be manned, or if manned an inspection is unlikely to take place

In any case, as your duty free isn't really duty free, I don't imagine you would have any difficulty.
If the OP presents a MAN-ZRH boarding pass (or declares that he is going outside of the EU) the retailer will log the sale as VAT-reclaimable, thus it will be duty free (but the price will be increased by 20% if the item was VATable)

You do need to ensure that the bottle is properly bagged to go through transit security in ZRH, i.e. a sealed transparent bag with the receipt clearly visible.
I believe there will be no transit security in ZRH as the OP is arriving from a European airport
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by :D!
I'm happy to be corrected on any of the following...

If the OP presents a MAN-ZRH boarding pass (or declares that he is going outside of the EU) the retailer will log the sale as VAT-reclaimable, thus it will be duty free (but the price will be increased by 20% if the item was VATable)
You pay the same price wherevere your destination is. Hence they are misnamed. The difference is that if your destination is non-EU (for example if you present the MAN-ZRH boarding pass), the retailer pockets the difference, as no duty or VAT is paid. I don't swear that this is what happens at MAN, but it certainly is the case at LHR.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the contributions ^

As I have said before, buying less for price but more for the fact that I am travelling HBO.

Might therefore try picking up something in Germany.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.