Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Carrying my passport...

Carrying my passport...

Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:04 am
Suspended

I keep my drivers license photocard in my wallet
Please note in the most case a drivers license isnt a Valid Travel Document. Its better you get an ID Card.
In My case it cost 61,50 Euro and is Valid for 10 Years.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ToGo
Please note in the most case a drivers license isnt a Valid Travel Document.
I don't think anybody was discussing travel documents. The OP was asking if he could leave his passport in the hotel safe when going out sightseeing, or if we was likely to be asked for it in the street.

Its better you get an ID Card.
There are some countries where that option does not exist (the UK, for example).
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by nrr
You can buy protective passport pouches, these hang on your neck and have compartments for other travel "stuff", like museum or railpasses. The price is under $10.
If you leave your pp in your hotel room, it could be stolen; also, you never know when you will have to show the pp.
In a thread elsewhere on FT, some people made negative comments (stylewise) about people using a pp pouch...I think they are super convenient.
+1
I have such a pouch . I use it on international travels and if it is not a brand na,e chain hotel and no safe, I carry it. Just wear on your neck under the shirt.

This is also good at TSA line up juggling too many items (DL/PP, ticket - BP, shoes, laptop etc.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended

There are some countries where that option does not exist (the UK, for example).
Is there no other document who show your identity?
Just wear on your neck under the shirt.
Sorry that look so stupid.
Why reminds me of a German tourist? --> http://ais.badische-zeitung.de/piece...c/21274220.jpg
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Is there no other document who show your identity?Sorry that look so stupid.
Why reminds me of a German tourist? --> http://ais.badische-zeitung.de/piece...c/21274220.jpg
He's wearing socks with sandals, he must be British

In the UK a drivers license is acceptable ID, whether a UK drivers license would be considered acceptable elsewhere in Europe I don't know.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Maybe you can look on your Gov Website for more information?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:41 pm

Is there no other document who show your identity?Sorry that look so stupid.
So if it is under the shirt, would you be Superman with X Ray eyes to see it ? And even then who would care about such a comment ?
Seems you are an equal opportunity insulter, you got the Germans too !

I don't mind if it pleases you.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Maybe you can look on your Gov Website for more information?
Well I could but I don't get arrested very often so it isn't really worth bothering about
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:47 am
Suspended

So if it is under the shirt, would you be Superman with X Ray eyes to see it ?
No? I wear Shirts and you see everything what is under that.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
+1
I have such a pouch . I use it on international travels and if it is not a brand na,e chain hotel and no safe, I carry it. Just wear on your neck under the shirt.

This is also good at TSA line up juggling too many items (DL/PP, ticket - BP, shoes, laptop etc.

I've been around the world quite a bit - and I would NEVER consider carrying my passport around, or would never wear a pouch on my neck, or waist for that matter.

It screams: I HAVE STUFF, ROB ME!

Even if a hotel doesnt have a safe - I would leave my passports there instead of taking it out on the street, especially in dodgy places like Barcelona, Paris, etc. The odds of getting a passport stolen in a hotel room are near zero. The odds of having your 'pouch' robbed are far greater. I've met so many travelers who had their fannypack or money belt stolen.
You think the thief is gonna care whats inside the pouch?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Even if a hotel doesnt have a safe - I would leave my passports there instead of taking it out on the street, especially in dodgy places like Barcelona, Paris, etc. The odds of getting a passport stolen in a hotel room are near zero.
The only passport thefts that have hit my relatives have taken place at hotels, and most of those involved being swiped from hotel safes. It sort of surprised me at first consideration; but, given passports are more likely in many countries to be left at the hotel than carried locally, I am not exactly surprised. But this does indicate that passport theft at hotels is a problem, and it indicates this to even those not aware of what goes on at our embassies/consulates because of this..
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The only passport thefts that have hit my relatives have taken place at hotels, and most of those involved being swiped from hotel safes. It sort of surprised me at first consideration; but, given passports are more likely in many countries to be left at the hotel than carried locally, I am not exactly surprised. But this does indicate that passport theft at hotels is a problem, and it indicates this to even those not aware of what goes on at our embassies/consulates because of this..
They must be after US passports then.

Because in the last few years, I have probably about ~1000 nights in hotels/hostels/guesthouses of various degree of shadiness in 130+ countries, and I rarely even use the safe - only maybe 20% of my nights are at what work travellers would call reputable "brand name" western chains.

The only time I've ever heard of passport thefts is when the silly person took it out on the town with the rest of their belongings in a pouch/money belt
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They must be after US passports then.
I used to assume that too. But now I have doubts about that being as generally true and useful for migrants and their illegitimate document suppliers. They stole Asian passports issued by countries whose citizens ordinarily require visas for all or nearly all OECD countries.

They seemed to have aimed for Asian passports with Schengen and/or other EU visas, for that is what they got. Not exactly surprising given that:

(A) a stolen US passport

would on average be less useful for North African or Asian migration to Europe than

(B) an Asian passport with an EU and/or Schengen country visa; or

(C) an EU/Schengen country passport appearing to be for someone of an ethnic appearance common in North Africa or parts of Asia.

Think of the demand side for migrating using illegitimate documents and the trafficking flows related to that. The document suppliers to such migrants go after travel docs that are most useful to most of their local "customers".

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 10, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:12 pm

No? I wear Shirts and you see everything what is under that.
Well I guess I am not a fashion plate when I travel.

I've been around the world quite a bit - and I would NEVER consider carrying my passport around, or would never wear a pouch on my neck, or waist for that matter.

It screams: I HAVE STUFF, ROB ME!

Even if a hotel doesnt have a safe - I would leave my passports there instead of taking it out on the street, especially in dodgy places like Barcelona, Paris, etc. The odds of getting a passport stolen in a hotel room are near zero. The odds of having your 'pouch' robbed are far greater. I've met so many travelers who had their fannypack or money belt stolen.
You think the thief is gonna care whats inside the pouch?
I should have specified the use of the pouch is when you are actually traveling in some form of conveyance. Hopefully I am at a MNC chain hotel using the safe. Yes we do check the safe everyday, even on cruise ships.
And yes US passports are the most valuable in the underground markets.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
I should have specified the use of the pouch is when you are actually traveling in some form of conveyance. Hopefully I am at a MNC chain hotel using the safe. Yes we do check the safe everyday, even on cruise ships.
And yes US passports are the most valuable in the underground markets.
well yeah, when actually moving around, an undershirt pouch is a good idea - except for those times you actually have to access the passport

I would also disagree about US passports being most valuable on the black market.

I also use one of these on longer trips when I need to carry cash around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.