Search

Advice on Bayeux to London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Advice on Bayeux to London

We are going to be in Bayuex to see the Normandy region and the tapestry and then proceeding to London to fly back to NY. We will spend the day we arrive in London and then fly out late afternoon the next day.

It seems like we have three options to get to London. We had wanted to see Dover from the sea but this looks like it isn't ideal for doing that. We will have some luggage but not a lot, probably a roller and a Skytrain or the like each. The options seem to be:

1) By car to Calais, ferry to Dover then train to London

2) Car to Caen, ferry to Portsmouth, car to London

3) Train to Paris, train to London

Any thoughts on the relative merits both hassle wise and scenery wise? How is the ferry ride from Caen to Portsmouth? Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, option 1 gives you the opportunity to visit some very pleasant places on the way (on the Normandy and Picardy coasts), and lets you see the cliffs. Apart from the cliffs, though, Dover is spectacularly underwhelming.

With option 2, bear in mind that the ferry goes from Ouistreham, some distance from Caen city. I have very fond memories of this ferry crossing - used to pop on the train down to Portsmouth, jump on the ferry with my bike, and go cycling and camping round Normandy. Brittany Ferries have always been a solid operator, and Portsmouth is definitely an interesting approach (and worth a stop if you're into maritime history). Were you thinking of the overnight, or fast daytime ferry? You can quite easily get the train to London from Portsmouth - it's a decent service (and doesn't really get busy until Guildford), and has some pleasant rural scenery between Havant and Guildford.

Option 3 is fine - Eurostar is always good. Scenery will be flat farmland most of the way, but it's a very civilised way to travel.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'd do option 2, with a train from Portsmouth for reasons stut pointed out.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:09 pm

We are returning the same way as you... Bayeux - Paris - London - USA. We are taking a train to Paris, spending one night, and taking the day trip Orient Express to London. I believe the VSOE only runs on certain days.
Next trip we plan to do the ferry.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Thanks all. Option 2 it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.