Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam: how to get from airport to hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: no status

We will be visiting Amsterdam for the first time in about a month and I just booked a hotel through priceline: Park Plaza Vondelpark. Now this is a bit further from the centre than I intended and I am wondering if there is a straightforward way to get to it by public transportation, I understand that a Tram goes right by the hotel, but have no clue how to get there from Schiphol. So my questions are:

1) can I buy a GVB multi-day ticket at the airport?
2) can I use the GVB ticket for a bus or train that gets me from the airport closer to the hotel (and back)?
3) what is a good route planning tool that I can use to figure out how to actually get from the airport to the Vondelpark hotel using the public transportation options?

TIA
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
1. You can buy a pass at the airport but it's not valid on the train, the GVB only operates in Amsterdam itself.
2. There is only one GVB bus that goes to the airport and takes better part of an hour. The trains are ran by NS so you'll have to pay for that separately.
3. Http://9292.nl/en will give you for to door directions across the country.

The 197 bus would get you to the hotel quickest. See the sure I mentioned above for all of your options.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much, that looks like a nice tool and bus 197 and a short walk should be fine even with the big suitcase.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC P25
I've stayed there several times and love the location. Far enough out to avoid the crowds and noise of the centre but close enough to walk in through vondelpark if you like, especially museumplein or leidseplein. 197 is a 10-15 min walk to haarlemermeer station so not bad if the weathers decent. Tram 2 (stop Emmastraat) is steps from the hotel and is a short ride to leidseplein and less than 30 mins to centraal station.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you're new to Amsterdam, do it like this:

In the arrival hall after passport check when getting your bags, buy a ticket using the yellow NS (mainline rail) ticket machines. Hit the button for "English", and then choose a ticket to Amsterdam Centraal. There is no need to buy "comfort" (1st) class. Go out through the customs check and onwards towards the trains. Take any train to "Amsterdam C" or "Centraal". Often these leave from platform 3.

At Centraal, get off the train, go towards the front of the station (towards platform 1), through the ticket barrier.

Then get a local transport pass for however long you are in Amsterdam. You can get one from either the GVB (blue/silver) ticket machines or the GVB ticket and tourist info office outside. GVB is the local transit authority for the Amsterdam area.

Then find the tram stop for 1/2/5 trams outside. There are two sets of tram stops, one to the left end of the station as you step outside looking away from the station, one to the right end (nearer where the train from the airport arrives). The 2 tram leaves from the right end of the station. It says 2 on the front. Touch your pass to the pass reader as you get into the tram and it will activate the pass. It will announce the stops, listen carefully for yours. You'll want the Emmastraat or Valeriusplein stop.

In case of problems, ask either the info desk in the stations, the GVB tourist info, or on the tram. It's much better to ask the conductor than the driver because the drivers are busy dodging cars, cycles, pedestrians, etc.

You can download a PDF map (to store on your phone) from the GVB website.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ERJ_12B
2. There is only one GVB bus that goes to the airport and takes better part of an hour. The trains are ran by NS so you'll have to pay for that separately.

The 197 bus would get you to the hotel quickest. See the sure I mentioned above for all of your options.
Thanks for all the great directions. Now is this 197 the one GVB bus and thus covered by the pass, or operated by NS or other company?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Thanks for all the great directions. Now is this 197 the one GVB bus and thus covered by the pass, or operated by NS or other company?
The 197 is ran by Connexion. The single GVB bus is the 300 to Sloterdijk Station. Then from there you would have to connect to the metro and then a tram to reach your hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.