Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning for a European Winter Trip

Planning for a European Winter Trip

Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Nuremberg Christmas market is great - I went last year (FT Do) my trip report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-weekend.html (the thread about the do in Community buzz also ended up fairly picture rich iirc).

I think you could get your Christmas market fix in Southern Germany - Nuremberg is less than two hours from Munich and I think Rothenburg is pretty close. It would also be handy for your ski trip - Munich is two hours by train from Innsbruck which would be a good area to head for if you wanted to go skiing and Innsbruck is handy for heading into Switzerland (or Liechtenstein).

Not sure about the warmth/food/sunshine aspect of the trip. Turkey maybe?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Nuremberg Christmas market is great - I went last year (FT Do) my trip report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-weekend.html (the thread about the do in Community buzz also ended up fairly picture rich iirc).

I think you could get your Christmas market fix in Southern Germany - Nuremberg is less than two hours from Munich and I think Rothenburg is pretty close. It would also be handy for your ski trip - Munich is two hours by train from Innsbruck which would be a good area to head for if you wanted to go skiing and Innsbruck is handy for heading into Switzerland (or Liechtenstein).

Not sure about the warmth/food/sunshine aspect of the trip. Turkey maybe?
Thanks for the tip. Now I am planning on getting Euro Rail Passes Select which I can buy in advance. 4 countries for 8 days. Planning Germany-Austria-Czech-Switzerland. Sounds hectic but its just my travel style

Definitely visiting Munich and Nuremberg. Austria is Salzburg and Innsbrick. Czech is Prague and Swiss is Lucerne and Liechtenstein.

Might go to Turkey for the warmth and food prior to the Christmas festive and Spain too. Using Star Alliance Europe Airpass for this.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by scrappydog
Thanks for the reply guys. Im actualy traveling in 2015 but will buy tickets a year ahead cos I have OCD when it comes to planning my trip well.

Im buying tickets not using miles. Might use some miles on domestic flights in Spain.

Im removing Nordic for now but focusing on Germany, Austria, Swiss Alps.

How about Spain? Is it good to travel during winter?
It's obviously a bit warmer than our more northern counterparts, but it does get wintry. Especially if traveling by road, an unexpected storm can really throw a wrench in the works. This applies to most places with mountains (a large part of the country). Most people here just have no idea how to drive around snow as well. I love Madrid at Christmas time. The crowds aren't so bad for shopping (for Spain anyway) since we generally give gifts in January.

It definitely won't be warm enough for a beach at any place except the Canary Islands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.