Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

VERY mundane questions - washing clothes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT

So...
So my FIRST multi week European trip. We'll be traveling around Europe for almost 3 weeks. So what do you do about washing clothes? I certainly don't want to pay those outlandish hotel prices.
Thanks...

I told you it was mundane.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
So...
So my FIRST multi week European trip. We'll be traveling around Europe for almost 3 weeks. So what do you do about washing clothes? I certainly don't want to pay those outlandish hotel prices.
Thanks...

I told you it was mundane.
Hand wash in a sink/bath, which works well. Or there are laundrettes still around...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Which countries are you traveling to? Because the availability of public laundromats varies. Very abundant in Germany and France. Less so in Austria and Czech Republic. Almost rare in Poland.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Munich - 2 days
Salzburg - 3 days
Lucern - 3 days
Milan - 2 days
Florence - 4 days
Rome - 3 days
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Munich - 2 days
Salzburg - 3 days
Lucern - 3 days
Milan - 2 days
Florence - 4 days
Rome - 3 days
Lucern I'm not sure about. But Munich (has quite a few) and Salzburg should have some. I've seen laundromats in Italy. But I think that was in Venice. I use the Eco-Express chain in Germany (www.waschsalon.de) most often; but there are a couple of others natioanally.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Munich - 2 days
Salzburg - 3 days
Lucern - 3 days
Milan - 2 days
Florence - 4 days
Rome - 3 days
I used a laundromat in Florence last month. It was within walking distance from the hotel where we were staying.

Here's a map of self service laundries in Florence.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:14 pm

You can use hotel shampoo for detergent, or just bring some powdered detergent in a baggy.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
You can use hotel shampoo for detergent, or just bring some powdered detergent in a baggy.
Gel is kinder on the hands than powder (and can easily be purchased in Europe - look for Rei in der Tube in German-speaking countries, for example).

And for those who want to fly and not worry about liquid restrictions there is detergent that comes in little sheets - haven't seen it in Europe, though (bought some in Canada earlier this year)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by SherlockHerbert
Hand wash in a sink/bath, which works well. Or there are laundrettes still around...
I second the hotel sink option. I'm not a fan of hanging out in laundrettes.

Aside from gel, detergent is available in bar form, just like soap, and you can buy it virtually everywhere.

Fill the sink, soak everything, scrub with the bar. Drain the sink, fill with clean water. Rinse out, squeeze out, repeat until the water is clear. Squeeze out as much water as possible and hang out to dry. It doesn't take that long and it's cheap ^
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At the risk of stating the obvious, the best way to do this is to search for laundry service providers near each of your hotels (you probably don't need it done in every city.) Depending on the type of hotel you are staying in, just ask the front desk for their suggestions (you may be surprised), or use the 'near me' function on google. Drop off in the morning, pick up in the evening.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the tips!!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I'm not sure one will be easy to find in Luzern. For some reason they're not popular with the Swiss. I think in the 10 odd years I've lived in CH, I've only actually seen one in Chur.

Although, you'd think of the one place in CH that you'd be able to do laundry, it would be Luzern.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Well maybe I'll just grab a rock or two and head over to the lake and do my laundry there.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
There's a place in Salzburg called Green and Clean. They also have laundromats in Italy, which shows on their website here:

http://www.greenandclean.at/en/

and some places in Milan here:

http://www.aboutmilan.com/wash-and-dry-in-milan.html
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
You can also do what I do on extended trips - I set aside items (mostly t-shirts and undershorts) that are nearing the end of their lives. I pack these items, wear as needed, then simply toss them in the trash.

Obviously this doesn't work for newer and/or more expensive items, but it does lessen the quantity of items that need to be hand-washed (and dried).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.