Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification regarding Schengen Visa rules

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Clarification regarding Schengen Visa rules

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone might be able to clarify Schengen Visa rules as I'm having some trouble grasping the intricacies.

My fiancee and I had planned on going to Europe from early September-late January of next year which will obviously put us over the 90 days. My understanding is that the visa permits 90 days out of every 180 days. Do these days need to be cumulative?

i.e.
We want to walk the Camino de Santiago when we first arrive and anticipate it taking us about 45 days, but we'd like to spend Christmas/New Years in Italy. If we leave the Schengen Zone immediately after we finish the Camino by going to the UK or Northern Africa, does the time stop or is the 90 days effective the day we first entered the Zone regardless if we leave?

Thank you for the clarification!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:00 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The days are cumulative, but do not need to be contiguous. The 180 day 'clock' starts the moment you first enter the Schengen zone. You can have a maximum of 90 days within that 180 day period, but can exit and enter as many times as is permitted by your visa type (I'm assuming you're talking about a multiple entry visa).
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi Stut,
I am referring to the typical 90 day visa for Americans which I would presume is what you're referring to when you say "multiple entry visa". Sorry, my question concerning the days behind cumulative was really a mistake on my part - what I really intended to ask was if the days have to be consecutive or if the "90/180 clock" is suspended when I leave the Schengen Zone. I believe your answer is saying that those 90 days don't need to be cumulative. In that case, do I need to retain some sort of documentation any time I leave the Schengen to show that I wasn't there the entire 90 days since my arrival?

Thank you for your patience and hope this makes sense!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:31 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think your and my definitions of cumulative may be different!

It doesn't have to be all in one go.

You don't need to carry proof of exit with you, as there are exit controls whenever you leave the Schengen zone, so your movement will be recorded.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am not familiar with the legalities of a Schengen visa but have you tried asking the issuing consulate/embassy if they could give you a 180 day visa?
You may need to show proof of income/bank accounts.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by keisari
I am not familiar with the legalities of a Schengen visa but have you tried asking the issuing consulate/embassy if they could give you a 180 day visa?
You may need to show proof of income/bank accounts.
I don't think the OP means "visa". He means "entry stamp". Americans don't need a visa to visit Schengen as tourists for up to 90 days.

Visas for more than 90 days are national visas that come under national laws. Different countries have different rules, but by and large long-stay visas are only granted for specific purposes (study, work).

The OP's specific question was "can we spend 45 days in Schengen in September/October and then return there at Christmas" - to which the answer is "yes".

They are planning to spend a total of five months in Europe from early September to late January. They can spend three of those five months in Schengen, so their 45 days in September/October leaves them another 45 to play with later on. They just need to spend time outside Schengen in between.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Strictly speaking the clock is always started but just so long as you don't exceed 90 of the previous 180 you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.