Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel through Istanbul - 6 hr layover enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Travel community, I need your sound advice. I'm traveling through Istanbul early July, and have a decent layover time.

The flight lands on Friday at 3:45PM, with the second flight departing at 10:15PM for Germany. Gives me just over 6 hours of available time.

If they are openly available, I would be ok with taking taxi's to cut transportation time. I would like to see a few of the super "touristy" things like Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Bazaar, etc. However, closing time of the attractions needs to be considered as well.

Given those constraints, would this be a stretch goal or is it within feasibility?

On a semi-related note, are there any safety concerns with those touristy areas given the current protests?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Unfortunately, your timings are rough for traffic. If it was 3:45 AM and leaving 10:15 AM, you would have much greater potential, but even then you would be quite limited what you could do. The trains will take you an hour plus each way, and cabs may be worse depending on traffic.
The Museums typically close at 4 or 5, so you won't have any luck there. If you want to try to sneak in right at closing, best bet is to buy the museum pass and flash it to get in.
The Mosques are pretty much open, although they discourage/restrict the visitors during the prayer times.
The Bazaars should be nice.
My suggestion: You could catch the Spice Bazaar, see the New Mosque, have wonderful kabab at Hamdi all within an hour or so. Nearby there is also the Suleimaniya Mosque and the Galata tower (within walking distance, but cab it for time's sake).

As far as getting back into to the terminal, if you have access to the Turkish airlines lounge, use their exclusive entrance with your boarding pass to minimize waits/lines.

And if you decide not to be adventurous and want to relax and have access to the turkish airlines lounge, they will give you a suite for your 4-7 hour layover. They have wonderful food and service in the lounge, including fresh pida and semit.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:48 am

No safety concerns for those sites.
Also you can get all the info on the places you asked about as follows:

http://ayasofyamuzesi.gov.tr/en/ (summer open 9-7, winter 9-5)
Grand Bazaar (open 9-7 every day except sunday
http://www.grandbazaaristanbul.org/G..._Istanbul.html

Museum Pass http://www.muzekart.com/en/museum-pass/about_27.html
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:13 am

To be honest you are talking about a Friday evening at Istanbul, the traffic will be awful and very uncertain. You never know with Istanbul's traffic on a Friday night, even on any night of the week. It might take you 30 minutes to get back to the airport or it might take you 3 hours.. Trust me I am not exaggerating.. Also if you land at 3.45 by the time you leave the airport through customs and everything, the places you would want to see will be closed to visit. But if you really really want to get out of the airport and see some stuff that is close to the airport for sure. You need to be at the airport the latest latest 8 PM for your flight, because Ataturk airport is a huge airport with a lot of flight traffic.. and international departures are generally hectic. I don't want to sound pessimistic and make you not leave the airport but when it comes to traveling internationally from Ataturk airport I am always super cautious.. Traffic and Istanbul are two words that do not go well together sadly
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Last time I took a taxi from Ataturk airport to the coast about 5 minutes away and then took a boat. Then I was heading to the Asian side. Are there any options by boat for OP? That may help cut down on traffic issues and it might be a nice way to see Istanbul.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:14 pm

5:15 hour layover

Arrive at 4:00pm depart 9:15pm.

Anything worth going to see for 2-3 hours?

Is it possible to go somewhere close? Transit without visa or any other type of programs?

I am *G and have access to the TK lounge which is rather nice but would definitely like to check some things out.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Arrive at 4:00pm depart 9:15pm.

Anything worth going to see for 2-3 hours?

Is it possible to go somewhere close? Transit without visa or any other type of programs?

I am *G and have access to the TK lounge which is rather nice but would definitely like to check some things out.
Going to the city or the major sites is going to be challenging, the train or taxi will take easily an hour. You can go nearby for shopping or eating, but you will need a visa (e-visa for $20). If its your first time, I really wouldn't risk it with the short time frame, even though you will be able to get in via the lounge security saving time on the way back in. If you know Istanbul well, you might want to risk it and wing it. I would say just shop in the airport and enjoy the lounge. They have great facilities (including sleeping rooms for those in transit 4-7 hours), showers, fun activities (golf simulator, racing games, etc), great food (fresh pida and simit and other Turkish delicacies), etc.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
My wife and I tried this.

Long story short, Mrs Thumper and I were shocked and thrilled that they held the doors open on the plane for us as we ran like crazy trying to get to our flight.

Traffic and security were not what we had hoped for.

And yes, as mentioned, you have to pay for a visa in order to do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.