Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to the city using Uber?

Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Is it possible to use Uber to go from/to AMS? TIA
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, about 50-60....
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The train is so easy and convenient unless your destination is not near public transport.

Last edited by Analise; Mar 20, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

thanks, @RTW1 and @Analise
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:12 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Is it possible to use Uber to go from/to AMS? TIA
I do it when I'm bringing back my full baggage allowance (3x 70lbs) from Boston.

Easiest meeting place is in front of the Sheraton, IMHO.

Request while in baggage claim, is my usual routine.

But, unless you have a LOT of unwieldy luggage the train (or #197 airport bus) are just as convenient and quick (as was mentioned above).
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:58 am
Original Poster

thanks for the info. Also, Is this about right for transit?:

Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA
Uber has flat rate price from Schiphol to Amsterdam city center. For UberBlack €45 and UberLux €55

UberBlack possible cars: BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E Class, Audi A6
UberLux possible cars: BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, Mercedes-Benz S Class

From my own experience if you go with UberLux you get 8/10 Mercedes-Benz S Class. Never tried UberBlack, but if I look at the current taxi market in Amsterdam you possibly end up in a Mercedes-Benz E Class.

thanks for the info. Also, Is this about right for transit?:

Seems correct, be advised departing platform at Schiphol can change.

Please keep in mind The Netherlands is not a credit card country. If I remember correctly, you can only use your credit card (MasterCard and Visa) to purchase train tickets at Schiphol and Amsterdam Central Station.

Last edited by Calusin; Mar 30, 2014 at 7:55 pm Reason: Adding information
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calusin
Uber has flat rate price from Schiphol to Amsterdam city center. For UberBlack 45 and UberLux 55

UberBlack possible cars: BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E Class, Audi A6
UberLux possible cars: BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, Mercedes-Benz S Class

From my own experience if you go with UberLux you get 8/10 Mercedes-Benz S Class. Never tried UberBlack, but if I look at the current taxi market in Amsterdam you possibly end up in a Mercedes-Benz E Class.

Seems correct, be advised departing platform at Schiphol can change.

Please keep in mind The Netherlands is not a credit card country. If I remember correctly, you can only use your credit card (MasterCard and Visa) to purchase train tickets at Schiphol and Amsterdam Central Station.
thanks. ohhh not a credit card country eh? I might just Uber it the whole time...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by Analise
The train is so easy and convenient unless your destination is not near public transport.
How far from the airport train to Hotel Pulitzer? thanks
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by steppie
Google maps answers that question for you as I don't know this hotel. You could have looked that up too.

Just over 10 miles. 41 minutes commute time for an 8:30am weekday departure. Had to pick a time. Total fare for train to Amsterdam Centraal Station and tram to hotel is €6.50 per person according to the hotel website.

The hotel also has a shuttle for €16 per person that takes 35 minutes according to its website.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:31 am

Try this

Originally Posted by steppie
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Calusin
thanks. ohhh not a credit card country eh? I might just Uber it the whole time...
Correct, and if you want to use the (train ticket) machines there is a 0.50 surcharge for MasterCard/Visa and it must be Chip+PIN.

Uber is about 10 (approximately) more expensive than a taxi from/to the airport. I only use them (but consistently) when I have a LOT of luggage. I always meet at the Sheraton (right outside the airport). If you use the doors that exit Schiphol by the car rental agencies it's basically a straight walk out to the Sheraton. As soon as I do the Uber request in baggage claim, I usually follow-up with a text, meet me at the Sheraton.

Some of the "regular" taxis take credit cards (even AMEX); but you have to ask.

You'll have no problems with credit cards in major restaurants and stores in Amsterdam; but overall, as stated, The Netherlands is not much of a credit card country. A few places are CHIP+PIN only; but that is also rare in tourist frequented spots, which will often also accept swipe credit cards.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:46 pm

We are going to arrive at AMS & will take either a taxi or Uber to the Nieuwmarkt area. Looking at the tips above, it seems that either one is a good choice, with Uber being about 10 more. I, also, understand that you can add a tip on the App. The question is how much of a tip for Uber or, a taxi? Also, will the Uber fare be about 55-60? Our host said that taxi fare is about 50 to the house.

(We are not interested in taking a train, bus, tram, jet ski, drone, horse & buggy, etc. Only looking for info on Uber or taxi.)

Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
We are going to arrive at AMS & will take either a taxi or Uber to the Nieuwmarkt area. Looking at the tips above, it seems that either one is a good choice, with Uber being about €10 more. I, also, understand that you can add a tip on the App. The question is how much of a tip for Uber or, a taxi? Also, will the Uber fare be about €55-60? Our host said that taxi fare is about €50 to the house.

(We are not interested in taking a train, bus, tram, jet ski, drone, horse & buggy, etc. Only looking for info on Uber or taxi.)
You DO NOT tip with Uber, especially in Amsterdam.
It is meant to be a seamless electronic transaction.

Uber is almost always a better experience than a taxi, in Amsterdam.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
You DO NOT tip with Uber, especially in Amsterdam.
It is meant to be a seamless electronic transaction.

Uber is almost always a better experience than a taxi, in Amsterdam.
Thanks for the helpful info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.