Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to the city using Uber?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to the city using Uber?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we just finished taxi from ams to north market and return. took a taxi from the stand. they have an official taxi loader. the trip in was at around 8am. took an hour. traffic looked worse than DC. cost 50 euro. thought it a fair fare. left 2 weeks later. called a sat am taxi. cost, again 50 euro. took about 30 min. 5 bags each way.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
uberPOP (the lowest cost UBER option), have them meet you at the Sheraton Airport (directly across the street). IMO, this is the easiest meeting point. Schiphol now has unlimited (free) WIFI so should be relatively easy to request an UBER while in the Airport Plaza area. Grab a coffee, request the UBER and wait until he is just about to arrive (and you have the license plate #) to go outside to the Sheraton to meet the driver.

edit to add :
Fare quote : 1118 CP TO 1117 CE (pretty sure that is your hotel)
Great, thanks! Im more concerned given the 1am arrival time if there will even be Ubers around at all
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:46 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Great, thanks! Im more concerned given the 1am arrival time if there will even be Ubers around at all
I am not going to "guarantee" success, but it has gotten better. But, unfortunately is very variable. You, perhaps, will have more luck with uberX because those are (mostly) regular taxis (that also work for UBER).

Next time I'm up at 1am, I'll take a quick peak at the UBER APP.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:07 am

UberX is legal, uberpop is not.

Uber offices got raided for the third time this year:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...time-this-year
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by wijnands
UberX is legal, uberpop is not.

Uber offices got raided for the third time this year:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...time-this-year
Yes, and AFAIK it has no impact on riders. It's an option. Not a particularly "dangerous" one, IMHO.

When someone says to me, how do I get a cheap taxi in Amsterdam. I say :
"There is no such thing as a cheap taxi in Amsterdam, the only cheap alternative is uberPOP. I also mention it's not considered legitimate like regular taxis and uberX and uberBLACK."

I believe my assessment is correct. I use UBER (in Amsterdam and the Netherlands) a lot. About 20% (or less) is POP since I'm not a huge fan. Do I PERSONALLY consider it risky, NO. If you have personal observations wijnands on "the risk" of using uberPOP and how the legal status impacts passengers; please share. These details could be helpful for people who are trying to decide if it's right for them.

edit to add :
The quoted article (above) implies that this is only an issue LEGALLY for UBER. This seems to have no impact on passengers, because unlike in Paris, Amsterdam taxi drivers are NOT attacking UBER (POP or otherwise) vehicles in Amsterdam.

Uber continues to offer UberPop in four Dutch cities, despite already being fined 450,000 euros ($505,000) for the service, the public prosecutor said on its website Tuesday. The authorities believe the service violates national transport laws that prohibit organized taxi services without licensed drivers.
“They are suspected of offering taxi services without a permit in an organized way,” Marieke van der Molen, a spokeswoman for the public prosecutor, said by phone.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:26 am

edit to add :
The quoted article (above) implies that this is only an issue LEGALLY for UBER. This seems to have no impact on passengers, because unlike in Paris, Amsterdam taxi drivers are NOT attacking UBER (POP or otherwise) vehicles in Amsterdam.
Oh, they stopped doing that? There was some of that in february and march. I wasn't sure if they'd stopped harassing the drivers or merely stopped reporting it.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by wijnands
Oh, they stopped doing that? There was some of that in february and march. I wasn't sure if they'd stopped harassing the drivers or merely stopped reporting it.
Like I said upthread :
"If you have personal observations wijnands on "the risk" of using uberPOP and how the legal status impacts passengers; please share. These details could be helpful for people who are trying to decide if it's right for them."

This is FlyerTalk the land of deals/loop-holes/mistake fares/status matches/best rate matches/deal mistakes. In most instances people are looking for insight on the "best deals." Just like other things, I feel it's best to provide accurate, personal and up to date information and allow people to decide if the risk is worth the award. We (SO+myself) currently use a mix of UBER products (in Amsterdam, including POP) 5-15 times a week. I speak from our personal experiences. Other than some drivers who are not as good as others (which is the case globally), we have NOT run into any legal or harassment issues.

What have you experienced personally, wijnands?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is FlyerTalk the land of deals/loop-holes/mistake fares/status matches/best rate matches/deal mistakes.
Something completely different than promoting a service that is illegal.... but you are right, let people decide for themselves.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Something completely different than promoting a service that is illegal.... but you are right, let people decide for themselves.
I prefer to let people decide for themselves. If the governments wanted UBER to NOT operate, they have effectively done that in a number of venues (even in the United States). My concern is impact on passengers.

In other news, UBER now has a van service in Amsterdam (UberVAN) THAT can accommodate 6 people. Launch seems to correlate with ADE.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:04 am

As of this Friday, 20 November uberPOP will no longer be operating in Amsterdam (or the Netherlands).

UBERPOP STOPT IN NEDERLAND

Vanaf vrijdag 12:00 uur stoppen we met het aanbieden van uberPOP in Nederland. Deze beslissing is teleurstellend voor jou als gebruiker en voor de honderden uberPOP bestuurders die via het Uber platform de afgelopen maanden extra inkomsten hebben kunnen genereren.
We willen je bedanken voor het vertrouwen.
De diensten uberX, Ub erBLACK en UberLUX blijven gewoon beschikbaar.
edit to add : link to press-release in English

Last edited by baccarat_king; Nov 19, 2015 at 6:20 am Reason: Link to English Press-Release
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
You DO NOT tip with Uber, especially in Amsterdam.
It is meant to be a seamless electronic transaction.

Uber is almost always a better experience than a taxi, in Amsterdam.
I also agree with UBER. If you want to tip it should already be in your account. You can set it up to how much you want to tip before. If the driver surpasses the tip.. you can always add another *under the table* tip..
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
What is the status of Uber in AMS and netherlands? Is there Uber X, or only black and suv?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
What is the status of Uber in AMS and netherlands? Is there Uber X, or only black and suv?
UberX is great, and cheaper than ever (unless, something has changed in the last few months). I used it often.. until moving. Black/Bike/Van are also an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.