Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Warsaw

Hotels in Warsaw

Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by tsastor
Way back in the 70's I visited two most central hotels, the Forum highrise and the Metropol across the street. I think the Forum is now a Novotel. Do they have any status amongst Warsaw hotels nowadays? What about the price level of these?
Forum is indeed a Novotel, it has been renovated a few years ago so it's not the most ugly building in Warsaw anymore (the Poles called it "The Swedish Revenge", for those who know their history). I don't know of anyone who stayed there recently, I guess it's mostly group tourism.

The Metropol has been totally revamped and upgraded, into a quite elegant (yet a bit on the plush side) hotel, it is used by Polish business people who have matters in Warsaw.

No clue about the price level without checking sites which anyone can do, but there`s so much more choice nowadays that I wouldn`t consider them for an international traveller.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Ok, thanks! Could consider them for nostalgic reasons (in addition to location). The Metropol sounded quite nice, actually.

I remember the saying that the best paid persons in Poland in the 70's were the piccolos in the Warsaw Forum hotel. (Because of the tips in USD)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
Forum is indeed a Novotel, it has been renovated a few years ago so it's not the most ugly building in Warsaw anymore (the Poles called it "The Swedish Revenge", for those who know their history). I don't know of anyone who stayed there recently, I guess it's mostly group tourism.
I stayed there last summer and found it very comfortable, and the views to the east over the Vistula are quite nice. The staff were friendly, and the location is hard to beat, especially with lots of cafes, restaurants, and so forth on the surrounding side streets. It's an easy walk from there to many places of interest.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Any recommendations for a one-night stay? arriving at noon from North America and leaving the next morning to Milan. Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat (worthless here right?), and HHonors Gold. Hampton at the airport is only 5k HH?!?!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin
Any recommendations for a one-night stay? arriving at noon from North America and leaving the next morning to Milan. Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat (worthless here right?), and HHonors Gold. Hampton at the airport is only 5k HH?!?!
Take it for 5k. As the airport is so close to town centre, it doesn't make any difference where you stay.

Of course, if you prefer to take a walk in the evening rather than a cab, then opt for the Sheraton or the Intercont which both are in city center, Hyatt reasonable, too...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:04 am

Take it for 5k. As the airport is so close to town centre, it doesn't make any difference where you stay.

Of course, if you prefer to take a walk in the evening rather than a cab, then opt for the Sheraton or the Intercont which both are in city center, Hyatt reasonable, too...
can't afford not to for 5k. only other option would be an IHG pointsbreak if that happens. they're practically the same value these days, tho, so still tough to beat the Hampton.

Wife will be experiencing her fast massive dose of west-east jet lag so i doubt an evening walk will be on the agenda

What are our "must do" things for a day that will start around 11am for us, Wolfy? or a link to one you already agree with

Last edited by mrredskin; Jan 8, 2014 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:23 pm

What are our "must do" things for a day that will start around 11am for us, Wolfy? or a link to one you already agree with
IMHO there's only one must do in Warsaw: go to the square in front of the castle (Plac Zamkowy) and stroll the cobblestone streets of Old Town.

If you're curious about this town's changing fate, the historical museum on Old Town Square (Rynek Starego Miasta) is a very interesting visit. They have a great film about the destruction and resurrection of the old town.

Then walk down the so-called Royal Route (Trakt Królewski) to Plac Trzech Krzyży (try to pronounce that!) or a bit further to Łazienki park if you have nice weather. Lots of cafes on the way to fight the jetlag.

Alternatively visit the Warsaw Uprising Museum or some of the ghetto stuff if you're into Schindler's list....
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
can't afford not to for 5k. only other option would be an IHG pointsbreak if that happens. they're practically the same value these days, tho, so still tough to beat the Hampton.

Wife will be experiencing her fast massive dose of west-east jet lag so i doubt an evening walk will be on the agenda

the HIX WAW is available for a PB.
The IC is a nice property located about 1/2 block from the train station which (if I recall correctly) there's a airport train.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: price is a king
IMHO there's only one must do in Warsaw: go to the square in front of the castle (Plac Zamkowy) and stroll the cobblestone streets of Old Town.

If you're curious about this town's changing fate, the historical museum on Old Town Square (Rynek Starego Miasta) is a very interesting visit. They have a great film about the destruction and resurrection of the old town.

Then walk down the so-called Royal Route (Trakt Królewski) to Plac Trzech Krzyży (try to pronounce that!) or a bit further to Łazienki park if you have nice weather. Lots of cafes on the way to fight the jetlag.

Alternatively visit the Warsaw Uprising Museum or some of the ghetto stuff if you're into Schindler's list....
^^^good start!

+
- try to get 33th floor view from "Stalin's Sister" http://www.pkin.pl/en/oferta-pkin/ta...okowy-xxx-tka/
- have a short walk at the river bank (take warm jacket)
- visit one of the biggest Jewish Cemetery in Europe
- if you're into technology try Kopernik's Museum (http://www.kopernik.org.pl/en/)
- go for some serious beer tasting (several best-in-class multi-tap bars)
- grab a good restaurant for a dinner (avoid random choices)
- go to "Plac Hipstera" for a post-dinner drink but be careful

let me know if you need any help w/ choice!

mfk
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:48 am

thanks for all the input. hopefully we'll be able to do a fraction of all that has been suggested. i think i'll keep the HI. at 5k for an overnight, i can't really go wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, AF FB, SQ KF, SPG, MR
Since you got a lot of good tips already I will add only three to the list:

1) You might want to take a little detour from either the Old Town or the Royal Route - to see the Theatre Square (Plac Teatralny), the Saxon Garden (Ogrod Saski) and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Grob Nieznanego Zolnierza).

2) The best pierogis (Polish dumplings) in the city are served in "Pierogarnia" in 28/30 Bednarska St (off the Royal Route). Cash only, unfortunately.

3) The most traditional cafes are Cafe Bristol in Hotel Bristol (Krakowskie Przedmieście 42/44) and Cafe Blikle (Nowy Swiat 33) - both on the Royal Route.

P.S. "Plac Hipstera" is the nickname of Plac Zbawiciela (St Saviour's Square).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:25 am

wife has celiac so she has to have gluten-free so, unfortunately, that means no dumplings!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:53 pm
hkn

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, Jumeirah Sirius, Tablet Plus,
If you want to stay near the Old Town, there's one very decent option – to my knowledge is the only hotel that's actually located in the historic district –.the palace-like Le Regina (actually, it IS a 18th-century palace that has been getting a bit of an overhaul).
Rooms are comfortable and way more modern than the outside suggest; staff sometimes helpful, sometimes just on duty; and the price tag is very modest (which seems to be the case for many Warsaw hotels).
Check out my candid pics and more here.

- - -

Some would recommend the Hotel Rialto not too far from the brutalist Palace of Culture and Science (a gift from Stalin). Although listed as the first boutique hotel of Warsaw my last visit was rather disappointing. Rooms are slightly jaded and… boring. Plus; the restaurant and bar facilities fail to leave an impression. For reference, check my images here.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by hkn
If you want to stay near the Old Town, there's one very decent option – to my knowledge is the only hotel that's actually located in the historic district –.the palace-like Le Regina (actually, it IS a 18th-century palace that has been getting a bit of an overhaul).
Rooms are comfortable and way more modern than the outside suggest; staff sometimes helpful, sometimes just on duty; and the price tag is very modest (which seems to be the case for many Warsaw hotels).
Check out my candid pics and more here.

- - -

Some would recommend the Hotel Rialto not too far from the brutalist Palace of Culture and Science (a gift from Stalin). Although listed as the first boutique hotel of Warsaw my last visit was rather disappointing. Rooms are slightly jaded and… boring. Plus; the restaurant and bar facilities fail to leave an impression. For reference, check my images here.
Le Regina indeed is in the "New Town", but there are a few other options in the historic centre, e.g. the Bristol, on Krakowskie Przedmiesce, which is part of the "King's Tract", next door to the presidential palace, 5 mins walking from the castle.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:09 am
hkn

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, Jumeirah Sirius, Tablet Plus,
Another place to stay in Warsaw:

H15 Boutique Apartments
A building with a... history. Used to be the old Embassy of the Soviet Union until the Nazis took over in 1941 and turned it into their headquarters (saving the hammer and sickle-decorations as trophies). After the war, the People's Republic took over. In 2012 it was opened as a hotel after a $21 million renovation.

Book the larger rooms and space will be the least of your 99 troubles. Service can be wobbly at this place. But maybe I was just unlucky as I recently heard happy guests giving the place double thumbs up.

If you want to give it a chance, check this link for my pics and a few more opinions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.