Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malta?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
I like Kinnie on its own, but it's a good mixer. Diet Kinnie has a similar taste. Available at Amazon if you can't wait.

Anyway, I'm always in Malta in April (I was married in Malta in April 2004, and like to return to the scene of the crime.) The weather can be slightly variable. It was gorgeous this year for the first part of April (high 20s C), then overcast for the second (but still about 20). However, it should be considerably better than the UK.

Local strawberries will be in season. You might want to visit the Mgarr strawberry festival if you want some more populist culture.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Have a good idea what to expect of Kinnie as I am familiar with Chinotto.

UK weather at any time of year is a mixed bag; at times I've found myself in Southern Europe in the winter weather that is colder than temps in Southern England. I am grateful I can avoid the summer heat in Malta.

Last edited by startpacking; Oct 15, 2013 at 3:46 pm
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by stut
..Hypogeum nearby, which you will have to pre-book.
You're not kidding. We're several weeks out from our trip, and I thought I'd poke around and see of what you spoke. I was dismayed to find the Hypogeum sold out into the 2nd week of May with several subsequent dates already sold out.

"The Hypogeum of Ħal Saflieni is a very popular tourist attraction. However, because of its age, Heritage Malta (the government body that looks after historical sites) only allows 60 persons per day to visit the Hypogeum. Heritage Malta recommends tourists to book well ahead of time if they wish to visit. "

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 3, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, do try Ħaġar Qim instead. It's definitely second prize, but a fascinating site nonetheless. Easily combined with a trip to the Blue Grotto (Mdina, Rabat and Dingli aren't too far away, either...)
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You're not kidding. We're several weeks out from our trip, and I thought I'd poke around and see of what you spoke.
I shall be back in Malta from next week to the first week of May. PM me if you need any other ideas.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 pm

Thanks, gnarly, I might take you up on that kind offer.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:22 pm

Who can suggest a restaurant in the harbor of Marsaskala? Ideally, I'd like to sit outside overlooking the water. We arrive midday and will head here first before driving to the south and west of the island.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:57 am
Suspended

hey
I was last year in malta and the new bus company was just some day in service and all was very confusing. nobody know the timetable and the bus lines... its this better now?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:22 am

On Saturday, I had the pleasure of taking the bus from Xemxija to Mellieha to do a spot of shopping at the local supermarket. The buses have been nationalised since the Arriva fiasco, but it is still essentially the same hit and miss service.

Let me put it this way, the service was bearable in one direction, but the busses were so full coming back that after 4 went passed without stopping and one stopped for no reason other than to swear at me, we decided to take a taxi.

Luckily my car is now out of storage, albeit costing me 1000 euros for another year's road tax/circulation fee.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: most of them
Sorry you're missing out on the Hypogeum, SanDiego1K. I visited about 10 years ago and it was definitely high on my list of things to do. I remember getting lost on the way there. I asked the bus driver to stop at the closest stop for me but he forgot. I got all the way to the end of the line and then he noticed me sitting there and looked at me with a blank look. I guess it was a communication failure. Eventually I did get there. I think I missed my scheduled time but they let me in anyway. I found each of the megalithic temple sites fascinating.

Mdina was my favorite place though. I did the day trip to Gozo thing as well and did enjoy it very much. I arranged it through a travel agent in town. Took the ferry and was met at the pier by a couple of jeep-like vehicles. I think it was about 10-12 people. They saved the big cathedral for the end of the tour and I thought it was pretty spectacular.

I stayed in house on one of the streets near the main church in Valetta. I had a floor to myself. It was pretty basic but there was a great view from the roof. And one day was some feast day or other because the statue of the Virgin went for a ride around town on litter with a band. It went right up my street so there was a great view of everything from the front balcony.

I really had a great time on that trip. But I remember it was unbearably hot, even in October. I couldn't imagine being there in the summer.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
2nd visit?

My wife and I spent a week in Malta 5 years ago (and visited all the sights of note).

We'll be back this November, mainly because we'll be taking a ship from Freeport/Marsaxlokk. We're planning to spend the last 2 nights in Marsaxlokk before our scheduled departure to relax in the old harbour. However, freighter schedules are subject to change so we may well be spending extra days (won't know until shortly before sailing, unfortunately). The ship should be arriving directly from the U.S. east coast with 14 days to transit.

Given that, what is worth seeing again? 1 or 2 nts in Gozo? Mdina too perhaps? How much time should we budget to be there before scheduled ship arrival?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:37 am

My first reaction was do you really want to stay near the freeport? Admittedly the closest beach is at "Pretty Bay", but that view has been ruined by the freeport on one side and the power station on the other.

Obviously you can track your ships progress online or using apps like "Ship Finder" or "MarineTraffic". This is what we did we sent a container to Malta from the UK. That should give you a better idea of how much time you've got spare.

Did you get round to visiting Gozo last time? If not, you can definitely spend a nice couple of days there, even in November! I've been renting a house there for the last year and have been enjoying the slower pace of life.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You're not kidding. We're several weeks out from our trip, and I thought I'd poke around and see of what you spoke. I was dismayed to find the Hypogeum sold out into the 2nd week of May with several subsequent dates already sold out.

"The Hypogeum of Ħal Saflieni is a very popular tourist attraction. However, because of its age, Heritage Malta (the government body that looks after historical sites) only allows 60 persons per day to visit the Hypogeum. Heritage Malta recommends tourists to book well ahead of time if they wish to visit. "
The Hypogeum will be CLOSED September 2015 - April 2016.

http://heritagemalta.org/museums-sit...ieni-hypogeum/
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by gnarly
My first reaction was do you really want to stay near the freeport? Admittedly the closest beach is at "Pretty Bay", but that view has been ruined by the freeport on one side and the power station on the other.
I seem to have forgotten the power station and didn't noticed the port. I figured it seemed charming enough. Maybe the night before the scheduled ship arrival/departure?

Obviously you can track your ships progress online or using apps like "Ship Finder" or "MarineTraffic". This is what we did we sent a container to Malta from the UK. That should give you a better idea of how much time you've got spare.
I just noticed this. However, we do have to do some planning ahead for best prices.

Did you get round to visiting Gozo last time? If not, you can definitely spend a nice couple of days there, even in November! I've been renting a house there for the last year and have been enjoying the slower pace of life.
Yes, we did get to Gozo but only for a day. I guess maybe 2 nights here? Is Mdina and Rabat worth staying in or is just a visit enough?

Fortunately we visited the Hypogeum last time as it will be closed during our next visit.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:06 am

I don't know what your budget is, but I would recommend staying in the Xara Palace in Mdina. It's a lovely old Pallazzo with charming, unique rooms and probably the best views in Malta.

This other thread may give you some other ideas.

As for Gozo, the Maltese use it for their quiet getaways, however, Malta will be fairly quiet in November. You may well catch the last of the nice weather, so don't assume that it will be horribly cold. Last year was great. Either stay in Ta Cenc on the cliffs near Sannat, or the Kempinski near San Lawrenz. Over the last few years the main harbour in Gozo (Mgarr) has become a lovely area for promenading with plenty of good restaurants (Try Tmun).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.