Wiki Posts
Search

Vienna Opera

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Vienna Opera

Hello all.

I am heading to Vienna for the Christmas markets and winter festivites in December. My exact dates will be Dec 15-23 of this year. I really would like to see an Opera for the first time and have tried to do some research but am just confused. Does anyone have an recommendations?
I do like plays, orchestras, broadways, etc. I also do not mind a very formal event. Cost is not a huge factor as long as quality is there. Oh and I do not speak enough of another language. Please let me know if I can give any more information to help out.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LowRoller
Hello all.

I am heading to Vienna for the Christmas markets and winter festivites in December. My exact dates will be Dec 15-23 of this year. I really would like to see an Opera for the first time and have tried to do some research but am just confused. Does anyone have an recommendations?
I do like plays, orchestras, broadways, etc. I also do not mind a very formal event. Cost is not a huge factor as long as quality is there. Oh and I do not speak enough of another language. Please let me know if I can give any more information to help out.
Hi there. What is the exact confusion?

There are two things to consider while booking tickets for the opera - what you're going to see and where you're going to see it. I would recommend the main opera house in Vienna - the Staatsoper.

You can find information at -
http://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/Cont...Content.en.php

You can check what's playing in December, buy tickets online and hold them for pickup at box office which is very simple to do just before the show (redirects you to another site) -
https://www.culturall.com/ticket/ist...ype=month_menu

The Staatsoper is presents quite a mix - there will be people in jeans (usually further back) and people dressed up formally - so it's all types, and certainly a good experience while in Vienna.

Language is not an issue as you will have a small personal screen at your seat which provides subtitles in a language of your choice.

Would suggest scrolling through the online ticketing site to see what's playing during the time of your visit and make a decision from there. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The website of the Staatsoper is available in English.
You might also want to look at the Volksoper, which is also excellent (and also in English).
You probably want to reserve in advance particularly if you're going around Christmas / New Year,
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Here is what's showing at the Staatsoper while you're there:

http://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/Cont...3&mode=current

There's also the Nutcracker, but it appears that it's sold out based on the Culturall.at website. It's possible you could order from here:

http://viennaoperatickets.com/ballet...dte=2013-12-01

and then pick up the tickets before the performance.

We went about 6 years ago to the opera, picked up our tickets that day of the performance and enjoyed ourselves immensely. When you're in your seat at the opera, there is (or at least used to be) a little subtitle thingamajig on the back of the seat in front of you...you can choose the language you want to view it in. After the opera, we went to the Rote Bar at the Hotel Sacher nearby and had a yummy tafelspitz.

It's also possible that you could check at the box office when you arrive and see if there are any tickets that people had to return. At the San Francisco Opera, if you don't have tickets and want to take a chance, people sell their tickets outside of the Opera House. Perhaps it's the same way in Vienna.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:44 pm
Original Member

Do you have your hotel reserved? Contact the hotel concierge to make reservations on your behalf now or ask questions via email or phone to answer any questions you might have.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for great answers. I do have my hotel booked and will probably send the concierge an email.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thinking about heading to the opera for a ballet when we visit. How are the mittelloge seats? or should we sit somewhere in the orchestra section?

thanks
FDw
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Hey
Sorry i cant help you now but if you have other question ask me i life in Vienna.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:23 pm

In addition to the suggestions made, the OP should check out what is playing at the Musikverein. I second the idea of the Volksoper as well. I saw the Merry Widow there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.