Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking to travel to Croatia? Any suggestions?

Looking to travel to Croatia? Any suggestions?

Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Looking to travel to Croatia? Any suggestions?

Hello all, i am new here but i urgently need some advice's to travel or not in Croatia, you know Croatia is located Balkan on Eastern Europe! Many of my friends recommended me to take a lot to visit Croatia but i am so confused between choosing a different place to spend my vacations!

Thanks!

P.s..: My Vacations will start with 1 August!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yes. Do it. Croatia is great.

We roadtripped about halfway down the coast and then inland to Plitvice. One of these years, I want to go back and go all the way down to Dubrovnik.

Go to the location-specific boards here: I know there are some good, detailed Croatia threads. If you're entering from the north, Slovenia is wonderful as well. Worth a couple days if you have time...

Rovinj and Rab were our two favorite coastal villages. But again, that's as far south as we got...I really want to do the rest of that drive south in the next few years. Plitvice is definitely worth a half-day or so but you do have to go inland and take some fairly remote two-lane roads to get there.
MikiCar likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Dubrovnik is a great place to visit, the Hilton Imperial is a good choice if you want somewhere to stay near the old city
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:51 am
Community Director Emerita

We drove from Dubrovnik to Split, both wonderful cities with world heritage sites. Some day we'll go back and see more. I'd stick to the coast as a first time visitor. I find Zagreb a bit bland.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Dubrovnik is very nice and the Hilton is a great hotel. It is just north of the old city. There are also a couple of hotels south of the old city that are very nice and cheaper than the Hilton, but they are somewhat of a walk (and up a bit of a hill).

Depending on the amount of time you have, I would try to tour the entire country. Split is very nice and I also enjoyed Zagreb.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I find Zagreb a bit bland.
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I also enjoyed Zagreb.
As someone who is considering Croatia next year I was wondering if you two might be willing to go into a bit more detail about why you did or didn't like Zagreb?

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Exterous
As someone who is considering Croatia next year I was wondering if you two might be willing to go into a bit more detail about why you did or didn't like Zagreb?

Thanks!
I have gone to Croatia for both tourism and for work.

My trip to Zagreb was for work and I was taken around by my Croatian colleagues. There were nice bars, restaurants, etc.

I also found the city interesting. But I like to go to new places and just walk around for the experience.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
From Split it is a short bus ride then ferry ride to the island of Korcula. Spend 3 or 4 days there and then ferry over to the lsland of Hvar. Both are fantastic!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:12 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
JamesWalker, welcome to FlyerTalk.

For more discussion, I'll move the thread to the dedicated forum on Europe. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
A couple of years ago, we flew into Dubrovnik and then drove to Split. Stayed at the Hilton, which was OK. There's also a lovely area with a beach, too I think north of the old city. Split was wonderful. Stayed in a seedy hotel near the Old Town. Had thought about the Radisson, but it was closed. We were so glad it was because we would not have had so much time in the old town.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
There's also a ship/ferry line directly from Split harbor, but I'm not sure how often it sails. Great suggestion for Korcula and Hvar, sushi lover! I wouldn't hesitate visiting Brac while I'm over there too

JamesWalker, welcome to FT! In general, you would have two approaches: Visit some places on the coastline, with a day trip to Plitvice and possibly Krka national park, or take a bit longer and tour the islands. The second option would probably be good for your second visit, though, and would take a little more time, as you really need to spend a few days (at least!) at every place to take it in - every island is a little bit different. The islands are absolutely great, and you can find something for every taste. Except sand beaches. Sand beaches are scarce
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Not sure what the angle is, but am I the only one who thinks OP might be a shill?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Not sure what the angle is, but am I the only one who thinks OP might be a shill?
For what?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by pinniped
For what?
Taking our (in)famous RV ride permanently?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have gone to Croatia for both tourism and for work.

My trip to Zagreb was for work and I was taken around by my Croatian colleagues. There were nice bars, restaurants, etc.

I also found the city interesting. But I like to go to new places and just walk around for the experience.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.