Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking to travel to Croatia? Any suggestions?

Looking to travel to Croatia? Any suggestions?

Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Dubrovnik, one of Croatia’s most breathtaking cities, is located just southwest of Sarajevo. Banje, Dubrovnik‘s public beach, is the home of East West Beach Club. There are beautiful churches, like St. Blaine, the patron saint of Dubrovnik.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nancymorya
Dubrovnik, one of Croatia’s most breathtaking cities, is located just southwest of Sarajevo.
*Just* southwest? It's about 4 hours' drive over local roads in not-so-good condition... It may be close on a map, but...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by pinniped
For what?
Post just seemed strange. Generally, one does not enthusiastically explain where a country is to others he is urgently seeking advice from and presumably have been there, and it seems odd that he is still hesitant after so many of his friends recommended it.

(Unless, of course, he works for a Croatian tourism board and wants to have everyone's enthusiastic replies pop up on a "should I travel to Croatia" web search.)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Post just seemed strange. Generally, one does not enthusiastically explain where a country is to others he is urgently seeking advice from and presumably have been there, and it seems odd that he is still hesitant after so many of his friends recommended it.

(Unless, of course, he works for a Croatian tourism board and wants to have everyone's enthusiastic replies pop up on a "should I travel to Croatia" web search.)
Language in the OPs post is also a bit clunky and seems like it may have gone through an auto translator not what I would spect from someone named James Walker, then again they could just have autocorrect activated on their IPad
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
No, noone from the Tourist Board would ever place Croatia on the Balkans, or Eastern Europe We're kind of sensitive to that
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Here's our itn:

Dubrovnik 3 days and 3 nights.

Ferry to Korcula for 2 days and 2 nights
Ferry from Korcula to Hvar for 2 and 2.
Ferry from Hvar to Split for 3 and 3.

Fly from Split to Zagreb ($70 USD).
Depart to US.

The above looks simple, but the planning process to get to this points was . I certainly had to work at this vacation. The ferry schedules are a killer to figure out. The are several different lines providing service. This isn't like the Staten Island ferry in NY that offers frequent service. I'm talking about 2 boats a week in some instances. I had to figure out our schedule, then re-figure it. In some cases I could have taken a car ie DUB/SPU (Split), but that would have meant backtracking. As it stands now, we're always headed in a northerly direction. FYI, the boat between DUB and KOR can take 2.5 - 4 hours, depending on the ferry line, and day you pick. Oye.

I'm happy with the plan. I'll get back to you post 4 July with the trial and errors.

dh
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Here's our itn:

Dubrovnik 3 days and 3 nights.

Ferry to Korcula for 2 days and 2 nights
Ferry from Korcula to Hvar for 2 and 2.
Ferry from Hvar to Split for 3 and 3.

Fly from Split to Zagreb ($70 USD).
Depart to US.

The above looks simple, but the planning process to get to this points was . I certainly had to work at this vacation. The ferry schedules are a killer to figure out. The are several different lines providing service. This isn't like the Staten Island ferry in NY that offers frequent service. I'm talking about 2 boats a week in some instances. I had to figure out our schedule, then re-figure it. In some cases I could have taken a car ie DUB/SPU (Split), but that would have meant backtracking. As it stands now, we're always headed in a northerly direction. FYI, the boat between DUB and KOR can take 2.5 - 4 hours, depending on the ferry line, and day you pick. Oye.

I'm happy with the plan. I'll get back to you post 4 July with the trial and errors.

dh
Hi dhammer53, I'm hoping I can benefit from your exhaustive work on researching ferry scheules I assumed there would be many ferries between Split and Hvar - is that not the case? Any particular resource you would recommend in researching this?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Hi dhammer53, I'm hoping I can benefit from your exhaustive work on researching ferry scheules I assumed there would be many ferries between Split and Hvar - is that not the case? Any particular resource you would recommend in researching this?
http://www.croatiaferries.com/forum/

http://www.croatiatraveller.com/Tran...sinCroatia.htm

http://www.croatiaferries.com/ferry-prices/

The good news is that this run has good/frequent service. All you have to decide is which city on the island you want to visit.

Stari Grad and Hvar(town) are the 2 most popular.

dh
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by dhammer53
http://www.croatiaferries.com/forum/

http://www.croatiatraveller.com/Tran...sinCroatia.htm

http://www.croatiaferries.com/ferry-prices/

The good news is that this run has good/frequent service. All you have to decide is which city on the island you want to visit.

Stari Grad and Hvar(town) are the 2 most popular.

dh
Thanks, very much appreciated. ^

Hope you enjoy Croatia. How soon will you be there?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mad_atta

Hope you enjoy Croatia. How soon will you be there?
When we flew into DUB, you're immediately taken with its beauty. The US$6.00 bus ride from the airport is pretty spectacular too.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We loved Croatia. For an off the radar screen place, it's coming up fast.

Here's our itn:

We flew into Dubrovnik, then took the airport shuttle to Old Town. Super easy. We spent 3 days and 3 nights visiting. We managed to fit in a day trip to Montenegro. In retrospect, it wasn't necessary. From Dubrovnik, we took the ferry (you can take the bus too) to Korcula, where we spent 2 days and 2 nights. If Hawaii has Kauai (where Hawaiians go on vacation), Korcula must be the same. A small laid back and relaxed island. You can stroll around the Old Town wall in 20 - 25 minutes. It's much smaller than Dubrovnik.

From Korcula, we took the ferry to Hvar, where we spent 2 days and 2 nights. Somewhere along the line, I made the wise decision to relax and smell the roses. We could have done an overnight just to see each island, but it would have been a mistake. Funny thing is that Korcula and Hvar might have deserved a third night! There's more to do than meets the eye, but you have to get there to figure that out. We also went to the BIER Winery and tasted G R K. It's a grape. The USD $3.50 tasting fee was waved since we purchased 2 of these bottles + a sweetie. We popped one of the G R K wines, along with fresh bread and cheese on our terrace. The winery is located in Lumbarda, on Korcula Island. Take a taxi 100kn or ~$19 USD from Korcula town to the winery, then walk 15 minutes to the 'beach' area. If you go, you'll pass a restaurant that sits waterside called More. There is a bus shuttle back to town. I think the last one leaves at 1900. Otherwise, take a taxi.

If Korcula is the place to relax, as one ferry mate said, Hvar is the place to see and be seen. Plenty of yachts as you arrive. If you're single and 30 something, Hvar is the place to see and be seen. Now I'm no beach goer (waste of time), we spent the best part of a day just hanging out at a very low key beach with few people to keep us company. We took a water taxi for 60KN roundtrip (~USD $10.75 or Euro 7.91) to Pakleni Islands, from 'downtown' Hvar. There are restaurants there to keep you filled up ( food and drinks). Make the time to go. FYI, lots of boats offering 1 hour tours of the islands. We opted to stay at the beach all day for half the cost.

If you look at a map, we were headed north. Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, and then a ferry to Split (civilization). We spent 3 days and 3 nights at the Le Meridien (Starwood). It's out of the hustle and bustle of the city, but they offer a shuttle bus that you have to pay for. Great property. If you have status, expect a room overlooking the sea and the yachts that are parked at the pier.

We did a full day trip to Plitvice National Park from Split. Oh my!!

We flew home from Split. Our trip was 12 days, and do I wish we had another week to see the Istria region and Slovenia (mentioned above).

I posted photos on Facebook, and I never got such an emotional response from FB friends. They're all planning a trip to Croatia. It's so beautiful, and the people are friendly. They also speak English, unlike other European countries where you may get a hard time.

Have a question... ask away.

Dan

Last edited by dhammer53; Jul 8, 2014 at 9:48 am
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks Dan. I'm thinking of popping over there next month. May I ask where you stayed in Korcula and Hvar? Hotel, apartment? AirBnb?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I liked the Croatian island of Lopud. Easily reached from Dubrovnik and one of the better sand beaches around Croatia. It's sort of sleepy too, if that is what you seek. Cavtat was sort of charming too.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:10 am

+1 for Lopud
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks Dan. I'm thinking of popping over there next month. May I ask where you stayed in Korcula and Hvar? Hotel, apartment? AirBnb?
We used the Rick Steves Guidebook in Hvar old town and really scored for 70 euro. The room was more like a extra large 1 bedroom suite. The bathroom was 4*. They'll meet you at the ferry dock. From there it's a 5 minute walk to the apartment. www.hvar-apartments-center.com [email protected]

We had a choice of 3 apartments, and took the one on the 2nd floor (US second floor). The other choices were street level, and all the way upstairs. All have an outdoor deck to have evening wine and cheese.

On Korcula we used AirBnb. Call Edita Pecotic
+385 99 686 3717

Her place is a 5 minute walk away from the ferry, where she'll meet you. A very nice apartment with shower in the heart of Old Town. Korcula is a small Island. I would imagine it's where Croatians go on vacation vs the very cool/happening/see and be seen Hvar. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/70783?e...e-699104f62ed0
You can read my review. If I recall, the price was ~USD$68 in June. Probably more in peak season.

dh

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.