Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU Residence Permit: Do they scan them?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

EU Residence Permit: Do they scan them?

I've got a EU residence permit that might become invalid soon for various reasons, however, it doesn't expire for another 6 months.

I need to re-enter EU, so I might use it at some point. It doesn't have a barcode, but it has those "<<<33<<<3<<<" symbols like a passport, and I believe it has a RFID chip.

My question is do they scan them at the border entrance, or just glance at it to see if it has expired or not?

Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Yes, they will scan it at some point. I would not risk it. Even with your passport they can see the visa if you have already crossed in at least once, so you will still show up as denied/revoked.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand what you mean by "Even with your passport they can see the visa if you have already crossed in at least once, so you will still show up as denied/revoked." ?

I have a US passport so I don't need a visa for EU...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jscore
I've got a EU residence permit that might become invalid soon for various reasons, however, it doesn't expire for another 6 months.

I need to re-enter EU, so I might use it at some point. It doesn't have a barcode, but it has those "<<<33<<<3<<<" symbols like a passport, and I believe it has a RFID chip.

My question is do they scan them at the border entrance, or just glance at it to see if it has expired or not?

Thanks.
I'm not entirely clear what the problem is. You say that the residence permit doesn't expire for another 6 months but that it "might become invalid soon". Why might it become invalid soon, and if you know the reasons for it becoming invalid presumably you know when it becomes invalid.

Beyond that, presumably if you enter and leave the Schengen area before the permit expires (or becomes invalid) you won't have a problem. And assuming that you're not actually residing in the Schengen area any more (?is that a reasonable assumption), can you not simply enter as an ordinary short-term visitor holding a passport that doesn't require a visa?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I think what the OP says is that the rez permit might be revoked (I don't know why they'd do that, but that's what I believe s/he's saying) but it has another 6 months printed validity on it.

In any case -- it depends by country. Germany, Switzerland and Austria have always scanned my rez card and refused to scan/stamp my passport. Spain/Portugal/Italy/France do the opposite (in the Italian case the passport wasn't even scanned, until I asked for a stamp.)

The amount of scrutiny also depends on which country's passport you hold.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Yep, that's correct. I received the permit as part of a job offer, but unfortunately my job has ended prematurely but the permit is still valid for a while.

Somehow I was under the impression they don't really scan them and just glance over them. Furthermore since it was issued by a specific EU country, I should be ok entering Schengen not via that country, but I guess every EU/Schengen has the ability to see whether the permit is valid?

Another question: if the rez permit is revoked, can't I always enter on my tourist visa? (I have a US passport) since that should come into effect (I've been in the country for 6 months purely on the work permit).
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Yep, that's correct. I received the permit as part of a job offer, but unfortunately my job has ended prematurely but the permit is still valid for a while.

Somehow I was under the impression they don't really scan them and just glance over them. Furthermore since it was issued by a specific EU country, I should be ok entering Schengen not via that country, but I guess every EU/Schengen has the ability to see whether the permit is valid?

Another question: if the rez permit is revoked, can't I always enter on my tourist visa? (I have a US passport) since that should come into effect (I've been in the country for 6 months purely on the work permit).
Yep you should be able to enter on a tourist visa regardless. Depending on country they may or may not scan it. You could always try your luck, but it depends whether you need to come in on the residence permit or not. Easiest is to just show up and get the normal tourist visa like you never had a residence permit at all.

Italy and points east of Germany probably easier than Germany/UK/France/NL/SE. I've anecdotally found the countries with the best economies have the hardest/toughest guards at immigration. Portugal/Greece/Spain/Italy among the worst.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Yep you should be able to enter on a tourist visa regardless. Depending on country they may or may not scan it. You could always try your luck, but it depends whether you need to come in on the residence permit or not. Easiest is to just show up and get the normal tourist visa like you never had a residence permit at all.

Italy and points east of Germany probably easier than Germany/UK/France/NL/SE. I've anecdotally found the countries with the best economies have the hardest/toughest guards at immigration. Portugal/Greece/Spain/Italy among the worst.
The only advantage of coming in on a rez permit is that it allows me to stay longer in EU (rez permit + 3 month visa when rez permit expires). If I come in on the 3 month visa directly, the clock starts ticking right away.

I guess I can always try my luck, and if the permit gets denied, I just ask them to use my 3 month visa -- shouldn't be any issues right?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: *G
i went through italy and they just glanced at it
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The only advantage of coming in on a rez permit is that it allows me to stay longer in EU (rez permit + 3 month visa when rez permit expires). If I come in on the 3 month visa directly, the clock starts ticking right away.

I guess I can always try my luck, and if the permit gets denied, I just ask them to use my 3 month visa -- shouldn't be any issues right?
Actually, AFAIK, it doesn't matter how you enter. As long as you have your residence permit to prove that you can remain in the country legally, you are not required to produce it when you enter the country. I'm not sure if this is the case for Germany/Austria/Switzerland, but given that other countries do not/may not routinely scan the permit/stamp American passports, you should be ok entering with just your passport. The residence permit may be required if you need to prove that you are allowed to stay more than 90 days in 180 days, or if you need to engage in any other type of activity, other than tourism.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:15 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
When my job in Bulgaria ended, I had to turn in my Bulgarian residency permit (ID card). It was a formal withdrawal of the permit and I had to go to the immigration office and turn it in. I was concerned about what might happen when I left Bulgaria without the permit, but it was not an issue.

My residency permit here in Cyprus is not a card or a visa-like form in my passport; it is a piece of paper that I carry along with my passport. It is not associated with employment. I suppose if I ever left Cyprus, I would just let the permit expire naturally as there does not seem to be any requirement to turn it in.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by BobbySteel

uk is not even in the schengen zone.

however uk residence permit is in the eu uniform format and can be read (if the immigration officer thinks it might me conterfeit). there is a card reader but it's not on every desk.

schengen area countries shares a big database on resident permits. op's old employer has a legal duty to inform authorities about the premature end of employment, which i guess the RP will be cancelled afterwards.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:55 pm

question

Originally Posted by deniah
i went through italy and they just glanced at it
Hi Deniah
Which airport did you go through and may I know what passport were you holding?
Thx
Old May 14, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
I think what the OP says is that the rez permit might be revoked (I don't know why they'd do that, but that's what I believe s/he's saying) but it has another 6 months printed validity on it.

In any case -- it depends by country. Germany, Switzerland and Austria have always scanned my rez card and refused to scan/stamp my passport. Spain/Portugal/Italy/France do the opposite (in the Italian case the passport wasn't even scanned, until I asked for a stamp.)

The amount of scrutiny also depends on which country's passport you hold.
Which Italian airport did not scan your passport?
Old May 15, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Sadegh
Hi Deniah
Which airport did you go through and may I know what passport were you holding?
Thx
i actually never remember seeing my residence card scanned anywhere when re-entering schengen. passport yes... rez card no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.