Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Belgrade and Sarajevo

Belgrade and Sarajevo

Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Belgrade and Sarajevo

Hi There,

in a few weeks I will be travelling with JAT to BEG and then to SJJ.

Schedule is:

Saturday:
FRA-BEG 14:50-16:40
BEG-SJJ 21:10-21:55

Sunday:
SJJ-BEG 06:30-07:10
BEG-FRA 12:00-14:00

I was hoping for some Jat/BEG/SJJ experts to help me out what to expect. I have been on JAT 3 or 4 years before and found the airplane quite old, service average and catering poor, but what to expect today? All flights are on 737 (BEG-SJJ-BEG were planned on ATR but now changed). I am flying coach.

Concerning BEG: I have long layovers, 3,5 hours outbound and almost 5 hours inbound. I remember the airside areas being very simple, not nice (this black dotted plastic bottom and grey/white walls), not a lot of windows, very few seating space... I don't want to wait all the time there. I have access to a lounge called "Business Club". Anyone been there? Is it decent and offers some views?
Otherwise I would consider leaving the airport. I remember it's far away from town, so not sure it will be worth heading to central Belgrade. But I remember there was an aviation museum near the airport. Is it worth it? opened on Sunday mornings? On the outbound I would maybe get a bite to eat. Is there a nice local and not to pricey restaurant near the airport?

Last question is concerning SJJ: My hotel is the Spa&Hotel Terme in Ildiza. How much will a taxi from the airport cost? I believe it's very close nearby. Priority Pass show I have access to 3 (!!) lounges in SJJ: First Class Lounge, Business Class Lounge, Travel Club. Which one would you suggest? I do not want to arrive earlier than necessary at the airport since 6:30 am on a Sunday is early enough. How long before departure would you suggest to be in SJJ? I would usually say 1,5 hours, but I believe SJJ is small. And not sure how organized it is, concerning check in, security, passport control.

All your comments are greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Unfortunately I have no info for you but have similar questions about Jat, Belgrade, and Priority Pass as I will be traveling there in October. Please report back on your trip!!!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Regarding JAT, expect the same what you had before, with a few more years added on the planes They did hire a bunch of new cabin crew some time back, so service might be improved.

They also added a few things in BEG: A new bar/restaurant, the main duty-free shop has been somewhat refurbished, and last time I was at the airport, they were redecorating the hallways, removing the ugly dotted rubber (I hope!). Business Club has been recently refurbished, the furniture is spiffing new, it's quite spacious, and has an open bar, and some food IIRC. Really good lounge, IMO.

The aviation museum is great, so I was told several times. I've been planning to visit for years now, but somehow I always manage to get to the airport in the nick of time.

In SJJ, there is actually only one operational lounge (it's quite irrelevant what it's called ) When you get past passport control, just keep walking straight, past the duty free, and on your right there will be the lounge with a manned service desk. Other than the drinks on offer in the lounge, you can get a pretty good espresso, but you need to ask the lounge receptionist. They can also make you a Bosnian coffee

SJJ is quite small indeed, and check-in, security and passport control is a breeze. There is additional quick security check at the gate before you board, but as there are rarely crowds, you can safely be in the lounge until the boarding call, and then walk over to the gate. 45 minutes before departure is more than enough for SJJ. You will probably have time for a morning coffee in the lounge. I'm not sure about JAT, but if you can, check in online and save yourself some time.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for this excellent and detailled reply.

Good news about the lounge in BEG. I will probably spend some time there. Does it have good views (as well as in SJJ?). On the outbound flight I am considering taking a walk to Surcin, which should be around 2,5 km one way. Finding a local restaurant there. It would be evening time and it could be fun. Time should be enough I guess... The museum will be closed at that time anyway, so maybe a better option than staying in the lounge, unless they have "real" food there, which is a little more than a sandwich and chips...

Nice to hear the remove the black dots.... Honestly, in all airports I have been in Europe this seemed to be one of the worst to me in the past, good to see if it has improved.

SJJ offers webcheck in. It's funny since it's not webcheckin of the airline, but of SJJ airport. Aparentely they do check in for all airlines there. You then still need to collect your Boarding pass at a counter.. a little strange but it's worth a try.

You seem to be LH SEN and fly a lot with JAT. It's not possible to get miles with LH on JAT anymore, right? Furthermore as economy class guest with LH Gold I can't access any LH Lounge in FRA, right?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
The aviation museum at BEG is fantastic. Also, it's not that far into town. I was through BEG last week, the airside offerings are meager, but the lounge looks like it has recently been redone and is perfectly pleasant. TV's, wifi, food and drinks.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Reifel
I will probably spend some time there. Does it have good views (as well as in SJJ?).
Unfortunately, no views for both lounges. No windows at all in SJJ, and AFAIR none in BEG either.

You seem to be LH SEN and fly a lot with JAT. It's not possible to get miles with LH on JAT anymore, right?
No, not anymore. And I don't fly a lot with JAT, it's been over a year since my last flight with them, but I fly through BEG (on JP, OS, LH... and in 2 weeks I'll be flying in with OU from SPU), and I see the planes haven't changed

Furthermore as economy class guest with LH Gold I can't access any LH Lounge in FRA, right?
Um, with LH Gold (meaning SEN), you can access *any* lounge in FRA except First Class. Same goes for Star Alliance Gold passengers. With a LH (or *A) Silver, you can access any Business lounge at FRA.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Um, with LH Gold (meaning SEN), you can access *any* lounge in FRA except First Class. Same goes for Star Alliance Gold passengers. With a LH (or *A) Silver, you can access any Business lounge at FRA.[/QUOTE]

True, however only when flying with a qualifying airline. And as far as I know JAT and LH do not cooperate in any matter (code share, miles, lounge access) anymore. That's why I was asking. I doubt I can enter the SEN lounge in B with my Gold card and a JU boarding pass...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Reifel
True, however only when flying with a qualifying airline. And as far as I know JAT and LH do not cooperate in any matter (code share, miles, lounge access) anymore. That's why I was asking. I doubt I can enter the SEN lounge in B with my Gold card and a JU boarding pass...
Ahh, dang, I forgot about that little detail Too much sticking to *A, I guess.

Yeah, no access to lounges at FRA Sorry...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.