Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > Europe
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:05 am   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
AMS overnight layover. Question regarding local transport and baggage check in

Haven't posted here for a while, but my upcoming travel brings up a question. It's somewhat long, but bear with me.

I am traveling from MSP to BOM via Amsterdam (AMS) for 3 weeks with an overnight 23 hours 45 mins layover in AMS on my way to BOM.

I was told by the Delta CS folks that since I have a >6 hours layover, I will have the choice to pick up luggage at AMS or get my bags checked in straight to BOM. Realizing that CS folks can get to interpret incorrectly, any recent experiences how the baggage was handled for overnight >12 hour layover?

Second, I want to get to the city and will spend the night at the Courtyard close to the airport. My plan is to get the day ticket (24 hours) on GVB. Would this day pass allow/include train transportation from Schiphol airport to Amsterdam Centraal Station too? I realize that all tram/bus/subway is included in the day pass. Where is the best place to purchase these with American credit cards? Read in other posts that the airport is the only place where American credit cards are acceptable. If the day ticket is not valid on the Schiphol ->Amsterdam trains, what are the other inexpensive options?



(This is a one day break for us and include kids 10 and 12 yrs)
dealboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:54 am   #2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Airport is AMS
Programs: China Airlines Emerald/Skyteam Elite+, TK Elite/*G, EY Gold, CC Gold, BW Diamond
Posts: 3,999
AMS overnight layover. Question regarding local transport and baggage check in

I don't think GVB tickets are valid om the Railways. One way ticket to Amsterdam Centraal is €4,30 IRRC, and can be bought in the arrivals hall (Schiphol Plaza) where there are plenty of kiosks and manned desks. Also, there are machines at baggage reclaim.
__________________
Voortaan blog ik op een nieuwe site. Check mijn artikelen hier!
KLflyerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 12, 1:55 am   #3
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealboss View Post
I was told by the Delta CS folks that since I have a >6 hours layover, I will have the choice to pick up luggage at AMS or get my bags checked in straight to BOM. Realizing that CS folks can get to interpret incorrectly, any recent experiences how the baggage was handled for overnight >12 hour layover?
The information you were given matches my experience (most recent was about six months ago). Baggage reclaim at AMS can be painfully slow, I would recommend checking your bags all the way through unless there is something you need in Amsterdam that you can't carry on.
Aviatrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 12, 5:38 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA Gold; UAMM; Hilton Gold; BW Plat; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,494
why not stay in Amsterdam city center and enjoy a later evening.
I guess it depends on what time your flight leaves.
I have never had problems with checking luggage through in those cases of up to 24 hr layover.
Just make sure it is checked through in MSP and your tag says final destination BOM
keisari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 1:12 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LHR / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
I don't think GVB tickets are valid om the Railways. One way ticket to Amsterdam Centraal is 4,30 IRRC, and can be bought in the arrivals hall (Schiphol Plaza) where there are plenty of kiosks and manned desks. Also, there are machines at baggage reclaim.

And when you buy the train ticket from a machine, dont fall for the trap of buying the first class ticket which is the default option! Change the class to 'second'.
This is a scandalous daylight robbery practise. Its a 12 to 15 minute journey, absolutey no value in going first class (you'd have to run along the platform looking for the first class section anyway and if you get a 'sprinter' train there isn't even first class.
thijsseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 11:50 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: TK Gold, FB Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Its a 12 to 15 minute journey, absolutey no value in going first class (you'd have to run along the platform looking for the first class section anyway and if you get a 'sprinter' train there isn't even first class.
It may be of value if you're travelling at a very busy time when there are no seats available in 2nd class. All trains have a first class in the Netherlands, including Sprinters.
mfkne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 12, 5:52 am   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LHR / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
It may be of value if you're travelling at a very busy time when there are no seats available in 2nd class. All trains have a first class in the Netherlands, including Sprinters.
I was not aware that Sprinters have first, thanks.
But as far a Schiphol - Amsterdam CS is concerned, I usually don't even go near the seats. With luggage it's better to stand near the doors for 15 minutes. And I would not leave my bags unattended near the doors on that particular stretch....
thijsseh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14 am.