Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toilet paper in Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Toilet paper in Santorini

Sorry for being gross with this question, folks, but I need to know. A friend of mine told me that when she went Crete in 2003, she was told by her hotel NOT to put toilet paper in the toilet. She had to put it in a bag and emptied it each day. That is so gross!

Does anyone know if that practice is also in Athens and on Santorini? I'm going to these places this summer. Thank you.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
I've been to Greece a couple of times (5x, earliest being in 2001) and I have never heard of such a thing. Then again, we always stayed at big resorts, so it might be different in smaller hotels.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is quite common in Greece, I think it is to do with the pipes being smaller and clogging far more easily. It isn't my preference, but when the alternative is breaking your loo, you do as you are told!

Originally Posted by Noveluver
Sorry for being gross with this question, folks, but I need to know. A friend of mine told me that when she went Crete in 2003, she was told by her hotel NOT to put toilet paper in the toilet. She had to put it in a bag and emptied it each day. That is so gross!

Does anyone know if that practice is also in Athens and on Santorini? I'm going to these places this summer. Thank you.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Do you think larger hotels would be different? I cannot imagine expecting hundred of guests to put toilet paper in a can. Man, I just cannot wrap my head around this requirement. That's just so disgusting.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:57 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Do you think larger hotels would be different?
We stayed at the Hilton Athens and I'd read of this beforehand (small pipes). Sure enough, there was can with a lid right next to the toilet, but no sign indicating it had to be used. We flushed the paper.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by emma69:18347542
It is quite common in Greece, I think it is to do with the pipes being smaller and clogging far more easily. It isn't my preference, but when the alternative is breaking your loo, you do as you are told!
+1

Actually its very common in many places in Europe!!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
+1

To be honest with you, unless you use a whole toilet roll per sitting, how can several squares clog the pipe? They disintegrate in the water. Besides, what you personally dispose of is probably bigger that the toilet paper themselves.

Again, sorry for being disgusting here...
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Women in some areas of Mexico are taught to put the daintily used paper in the trash can next to the toilet and to flush the stuff that gets heavier use.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:08 pm

Is it? Where else? I've only come across it in Greece - and that included larger hotels.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:02 pm

Encountered the disposal of used toilet paper in baskets adjacent to the loo in China. Assumption that the old pipes can clog up easily. --European facilities-- probably same issue in older buildings.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be honest with you, unless you use a whole toilet roll per sitting, how can several squares clog the pipe? They disintegrate in the water. Besides, what you personally dispose of is probably bigger that the toilet paper themselves.

Again, sorry for being disgusting here...
toilet paper does clog the pipes. your personal problem does not. you do much boating, you dump toilet paper, you end up cleaning the plumbing.

ever make paper mache objects? your chance to use a plumbing pipe for a mold.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:26 pm

Yes it is very true! We were told the same thing but I find it so gross to do/imagine so my toilet paper went to the right place and not some waste bag!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:30 pm

+1

I wonder what part of Europe you mean now except in Greece. All the other places I have been in Europe does not come with such requirement.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Pretty common request in many places with old plumbing. The only problem it causes me is that I forget due to habit to comply with the request.

If you stay in a brand new modern hotel you likely won't run into this "problem."
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Pretty common request in many places with old plumbing. The only problem it causes me is that I forget due to habit to comply with the request.

If you stay in a brand new modern hotel you likely won't run into this "problem."
If you stay anywhere on Santorini you will not have this problem (including youth hostels)!!!!!!

Further, if you stay anywhere on the following islands: Milos, Sifnos, Serifos, Kos, Rhodes, Syros, Crete, Samos, Symi, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Amorgos or Ios you will NOT have a problem.

It's 2012....not 1912.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.