Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on Europe Travel

Advice on Europe Travel

Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Advice on Europe Travel

Hi,

My gf and I are going to have a month off and I am planning to go somewhere in September (yeah, it's a rather last minute trip). I have some Delta miles to burn and found availability on flights to Europe so I thought that would be a great place to go since my gf hasn't been there yet. My original plan was to spend a few days in Paris (on a stopover) and then spend the rest of the time in Spain. However, as I read more about Spain (and Europe in general), I wonder if Spain (or even Europe) is the right destination for us.

Here is something about us:
- We like nature, outdoor, and food but not so much big cities, arts, history, or architecture.
- I've been to London, Paris, and Dublin. I enjoyed staying there for a few days but it's just not my kind of places to spend a whole month in (my gf hasn't been to any of those places though)
- Among the non-US cities I've been to, I loved Cuzco, Peru and Easter Island (I think it's the locals I met and they are different).
- The goal of the trip is to relax and recharge (so we don't plan to hit many spots and we don't really care about going to those 'must-see' spots either) and, at the same time, experience the local culture.
- The reason we picked Europe is that we can use our Delta awards. We haven't booked it yet.

Here is my questions:
- It seems like there are so many historic buildings, cathedrals, histories, arts in Europe in general. Given that we aren't too interested in it, I feel like we would feel super bored after like a week... What do you think?
- Do you know where I can find more information about the non-big cities in Europe? It seems like all the guidebooks and forums are about all the 'must-see' and I makes me feel even Europe isn't the right destination for us.

Thanks for your help!!!

Tom
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
If you liked Cuzco, I think you have some interest in history (maybe not European history) and you certainly find places in Europe which could be of interest to you. Europe is not the same all over the place.

Taking your first point of interest, I'd suggest you could consider either Switzerland (stunning nature in the alps, hiking and other outdoor activities possible) or the Greek Islands (very relaxing in off-season). Santorini is a very nice place to spend some time with your gf.

If you want locals, who are different from the US, then you should rather go to places like Bulgaria or Romania, but you might not get in touch with them because of the language barrier.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:00 am
tyn

Given the kind of activities you mention liking, I would go for Switzerland, Western Ireland (Ireland is not just Dublin, not at all), Iceland.
Spain is also an option, a region like Galicia would probably suit your tastes.
Northern France, like Normandy and Brittany.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Continental, AA, SPG Gld, PCR Plat, MR
I think Switzerland would be a good bet for you. Interlaken has a TON of outdoor activities and its very low key (read: inexpensive) compared with the rest of Europe.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:11 pm

How about hiking in the Pyrenees?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was looking at Romania and Hungry and there's lots of hiking in the Carpathians. It looks lovely.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fattom7
Here is something about us:
- We like nature, outdoor, and food but not so much big cities, arts, history, or architecture.
Iceland comes to mind. Very outdoorsy country. If you are looking for something much warmer, I suggest the Greek Islands.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:12 pm

Grenada has lots of hiking in nearby mountains good food nightlife
Beaches are not too far away
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:51 am

Slovenia? Alps, great hiking, some biking, canoeing/rafting, the corner of the Germanic/Italian/Slav influences, relatively less touristed. Could fly to Venice or Munich and get there relatively easily...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:50 am

Costa Brava in Spain has some great landscapes to take in while you relax and chill out in the sun.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:24 am

Why not the more countryside areas of England? I really love walking around the Lake District in winter (less people), and there are not as many historical buildings (there are plenty of old buildings in the village which are just... old buildings and not of particular interest if you just want to have a drink at the pub) as there are very awesome walks. I walked for a couple of hours from Ambleside to Grasmere without really meeting anyone during one of my walks, and it was one of the more popular route.

Still, there are interesting things to look at, like Beatrix Potter's home and/or museum because they are so childlike and fun. I took a ferry to different parts of the Lake, walked for a couple of hours to Beatrix Potter's home (even though I knew it was closed) and saw nothing but sheep and sheep (had an encounter with one which was just staring at me), and had a really great lunch at the only pub in that tiny little village. I was incredibly relaxed the entire time I was there, and everyone was friendly which added to the experience.

I do know that it can get incredibly busy when the weather is better, so maybe September is one of those months?

And if you're done with Lake District, there are other fantastic areas in England itself that offers walks. Plus it's always only a train-ride to a bigger city if you miss the bustle.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: *G
tyrol region austria
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Greek islands definitely. I've been to various islands so far, and all had stunning terrain. The Alps are obviously also worth a look and really the Ardche and Provence too. I was there in July and there was some stunning nature (which also resulted in some great driving roads )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.