Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

BCN car rental warning: Goldcar (the usual)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 3:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"

I booked my one-day BCN car rental via an opaque rental portal with which I've had good experiences across the EU.

When I arrived at BCN, to my horror, I realized this one was with Goldcar. They have a deserved poor reputation for weasel fees. I wasn't surprised when they hit me with

The full fuel tank is paid upfront in all cases.

But although the rental contract stipulates that for three days or less, the unused portion of the fuel will be refunded, I have not seen such a refund. Since I drove a total of 35km in a Smart car, the idea that I used > 50E of fuel is absurd.

I do have photos of the vehicle, including fuel state still showing full, on return, and I'll push back on this.

But this is despicable. It would save time to simply avoid these bandits at all costs.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Response from Goldcar to this posting

Here's what appeared in my mailbox this morning.

------------

Dear [redtailshark]

Your post on flyertalk.com about the fuel refund has been brought to our attention and we would like to confirm that we have refunded the amount of 61€ for unused fuel to your credit card this afternoon.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the delay in the refund and please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have any further questions about your car rental with us.

Kind regards,
[Goldcar CSR]

---------------

So. They monitor FT, apparently.

It's good that this unused fuel refund was finally processed but let's not take this as a magnanimous favor. It's their own contractual obligation.

Why it takes two weeks to process the refund of unused fuel is your guess. And why this contractual obligation isn't respected until Goldcar a. discovers an FT posting and b. associates this with a specific customer rental when the dates weren't even specified, again, that's your guess.

If you're going to use this company, I suggest to all customers: make it clear that you will document fuel state and kilometers on return, and save yourself this hassle.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:50 am

avoid goldcar: bad experience

Originally Posted by redtailshark
I booked my one-day BCN car rental via an opaque rental portal with which I've had good experiences across the EU.

When I arrived at BCN, to my horror, I realized this one was with Goldcar. They have a deserved poor reputation for weasel fees. I wasn't surprised when they hit me with

The full fuel tank is paid upfront in all cases.

But although the rental contract stipulates that for three days or less, the unused portion of the fuel will be refunded, I have not seen such a refund. Since I drove a total of 35km in a Smart car, the idea that I used > 50E of fuel is absurd.

I do have photos of the vehicle, including fuel state still showing full, on return, and I'll push back on this.

But this is despicable. It would save time to simply avoid these bandits at all costs.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:57 am

avoid goldcar: bad experience

I also had bad experiences with goldcar. The price you pay upfront for the fuel is much higher than normal marketprices. What's leftover when you rent the car for longer than 2-3 days, is bad luck for you.
They also push you to take additional insurances although they advertise with full insurance when you book the car by internet. When you don't take this, they block 600 euro's from your creditcard which they forgot to unblock after returning the car. No reaction when I complained about this. They also booked afterwards 65 euro from my creditcard without authorisation or explanation. No reaction when I emailed them about this.
They look cheap but are nasty and you pay a high prices afterwards. In my case three times as much.
Avoid goldcar is my advice.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: iberia
After an experience with Goldcar, who I will never use again, I always cancel my card after any car rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.