Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting Istanbul

Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Visas: Turkey generally requires e-visas arranged prior to travel. For most, it's cheap, easy and fast.

Visa requirements by country (current as of 9/1/2017) :

world map, showing visa requirements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p..._of_Turkey.png
no visa needed (for up to 90 days): Germany, France, Japan, New Zealand, many others
e-visa needed (for up to 90 days): U.S., Canada, Australia, Ireland, U.K., many others

official information: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-informati...eigners.en.mfa

Flyertalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...pr-2014-a.html
__________________________________________________ _______

Planning: One of the best and most reliable websites is ex-Lonely Planet author Tom Brosnahan's Turkey Travel Planner.

Maps: Tom's free Google maps of Istanbul are linked to here.

Food: The food specialties include fish (mostly from the Black Sea) but there are restaurants of every kind here, from fish to Turkish and even Ottoman specialties, street food such as balik ekmek (fish sandwich) and the ubiquitous kebap, fine Continental, Turkish fusion, you name it! Tom's restaurant listings, by district, are here.
__________________________________________________ _________

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Visiting Istanbul

Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyhen:19910254
Originally Posted by TheCount2
Just a note - the Ceylan Intercontinental is near Taksim Square which is not near the Old City nor Sultanahmet. It wuld however be a short taxi ride or a long walk to Galata Tower, which is on the same side of the Golden Horn ad the bridge. By the way, I am at the Grand Hyatt which is across the road from the Intercontinental, and much of the taksim Square I knew has been torn down and the whole area is full of muddy streets and is under construction. Although I am a native New Yorker and walk almost evcerywhere, walking from the GH to anwhere else these last two days has been dangrerous.

I don't know your budget, but two years ago four of us (two couples) hired a licensed guide for two days and she avoided all lines at the sights you want to see.

I'll be amazed if you can get to see all of the sights on your list, especially the Grand Bazaar. (I await your trip report.) I assume you will take a taxi to the airport from your hotel, as I would be careful taking a taxi waiting outside the Grand Bazaar.
Thanks for the heads up. We have since decided to stay in the Crowne Plaza in the old city. As you suggested, we later found out about the location and its proximity. As far as taxi goes, we will try to avoid it as much as possible. It will be our last resort, instead, the walk from Crowne Plaza to the nearest Metro "yusufpasa" or "aksaray" will take us all the way to the airport.

I hope I am not missing anything.

And yes, there WILL BE a trip report. I've put too much time on this to put together this trip with UA miles.

Our itinerary will be Chicago - Paris (24 hours) - Frankfurt/Rothenburg (24 hours) - Dusseldorf/Koln (24 hours) - Istanbul (24 hours) - Maldives (4 days 4 nights) - Singapore (2 days) - Bangkok (24 hours) - Hong Kong.

2 people, business class in UA, LH, TK, and TG (including the A380) all for 205k UA miles.

Originally Posted by tsastor
There is really nothing to see about the Topkapi unless you queue to get inside the defense walls or hire a guide to take you past the queues.
That's alright, our main trip this time is Singapore and Maldives, Istanbul and Bangkok will be a "taste" for future visits, while Paris, Frankfurt and Dusseldorf will be re-visits. Have to play with the 24-hour layover rule. But thanks for the heads up, we will be going back to IST in the future, I am sure of it.

For now, I am content with our short stopover.
I'd trade two days in Singapore for one more day in Istanbul, Bangkok or Hong Kong.

I'd love to know how you did that in C for 205,000 miles. My recent RT EWR-HKG / SIN-EWR was 240,000 for two.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheCount2
I'd trade two days in Singapore for one more day in Istanbul, Bangkok or Hong Kong.

I'd love to know how you did that in C for 205,000 miles. My recent RT EWR-HKG / SIN-EWR was 240,000 for two.
ORD-CDG-FRA-DUS-IST-MLE is 60k/person/C
MLE-SIN is 25k/person/Y
SIN-BKK-HKG is 17.5k/person/C

Bangkok is a last minute added stop, saw the TG600 in A388, just couldn't pass it up. Istanbul will remain one day for the rule being. As far as HKG, it's practically my second home, so yeah...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:27 am

@flyhen I didn't realize your trip terminated in HKG, I thought you merely omitted HKG-ORD from the list.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:45 pm

One thing that worries me a slight bit, is how I am gonna find my way to the hotel. I get in late, 22:45. By the time I am out of the customs, it could be well after 23:30 or even later. Should I just arrange a hotel shuttle ride and shell out €45 for the both of us to Crowne Plaza Old City? Or is the Metro still running, and safe at that time?

Anyone?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by flyhen
One thing that worries me a slight bit, is how I am gonna find my way to the hotel. I get in late, 22:45. By the time I am out of the customs, it could be well after 23:30 or even later. Should I just arrange a hotel shuttle ride and shell out €45 for the both of us to Crowne Plaza Old City? Or is the Metro still running, and safe at that time?

Anyone?
Even if the metro is running that late (I think it runs until midnight), it involves maybe too much of a walk / hassle at that late time when you probably want to get to the hotel as soon as possible.

We just took a taxi (to the Hilton, further away). It was something like 20 euros and took about 35 mins. Going back to the airport from the old town Doubletree with tram+metro took almost two hours for us. YMMV.

Edited to add: if you don't have to change to the tram, don't have too much luggage and get out by 23:30 then you might want to consider the metro.

Last edited by tsastor; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:39 pm
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:21 pm

Even if the metro is running that late (I think it runs until midnight), it involves too much of a walk / hassle at that late time when you probably want to get to the hotel as soon as possible.

We just took a taxi (to the Hilton, comparable distance). It was something like 25 euros and took about 35 mins. Going back to the airport from the old town Doubletree with tram+metro took almost two hours for us. YMMV.
Yes, being that late, we'd want to get to the hotel asap. Is there a dedicated taxi stand? 25 euros for 20km ride (to Crowne Plaza) is reasonable, but what about getting ripped off?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:45 pm

Yes, being that late, we'd want to get to the hotel asap. Is there a dedicated taxi stand? 25 euros for 20km ride (to Crowne Plaza) is reasonable, but what about getting ripped off?
On second thought I think it was closer to 20 euros. Yes, of course there is a taxi stand. And we were warned about getting ripped off. What I do is that I turn on the navigator in my phone. That way I can see that we are taking a short route and the driver notices it too. Of course you can also always ask for the estimated fee before you get into the taxi.

You have to be ripped off pretty seriously to get close to the 45 euros you mentioned.

Last edited by tsastor; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:25 am

On second thought I think it was closer to 20 euros. Yes, of course there is a taxi stand. And we were warned about getting ripped off. What I do is that I turn on the navigator in my phone. That way I can see that we are taking a short route and the driver notices it too. Of course you can also always ask for the estimated fee before you get into the taxi.

You have to be ripped off pretty seriously to get close to the 45 euros you mentioned.
I agree, that's when the iPad Mini comes in handy. Judging from the google map, I will ask the driver to take Kennedy avenue along the sea side. Just hope they speak english.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:35 am

Of course this works best with having your maps pre-loaded in order to avoid the costs of data transfer.

Anyway, I had a look at google maps and your route looks quite straight forward. There might be some congestion in the old town though.

Last edited by tsastor; Dec 26, 2012 at 2:51 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:51 am

Of course this works best with having your maps pre-loaded in order to avoid the costs of data transfer.

Anyway, I had a look at google maps and your route looks quite straight forward. There might be some congestion in the old town though.
i.e. Navigon Europe for iPhone/iPad
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold

Anyone?
45 Euro would be insanely high.

That late i say take a taxi with meter. We did last week and yesterday morning. 31 Turkish Lira, plus a tip, 30 minutes max, and this was on the day of massive snow storm delays. Night traffic is clear. On way to airport at 6am the driver left meter off and we agreed 40 firm, took 20 minutes (but he drove fast). Your hotel is a block or two beyond where i was.

Metro is running and safe, but it is cold and you are shlepping bags and in an unknown city. Other than airport we used tram etc and walked a ton even at night -- never worth a taxi.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by abaheti
45 Euro would be insanely high.

That late i say take a taxi with meter. We did last week and yesterday morning. 31 Turkish Lira, plus a tip, 30 minutes max, and this was on the day of massive snow storm delays. Night traffic is clear. On way to airport at 6am the driver left meter off and we agreed 40 firm, took 20 minutes (but he drove fast). Your hotel is a block or two beyond where i was.

Metro is running and safe, but it is cold and you are shlepping bags and in an unknown city. Other than airport we used tram etc and walked a ton even at night -- never worth a taxi.
thanks for your assuring answer, when the hotel told us its €45 for two people, I was hesitating. Taxi it is!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:28 am

thanks for your assuring answer, when the hotel told us its €45 for two people, I was hesitating. Taxi it is!
My taxi from the airport to Taksim was about 50 TRY + 5 TRY tip although tips are not expected, and roughly the same for the return, about $31 each way, with no traffic. Sultanahmet should be less, although waiting in traffic might offset the benefit of the shorter distance.

Try this link for information about taxis in Istanbul:
http://www.wittistanbul.com/magazine...ul-taxi-scams/

Last edited by TheCount2; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:54 am Reason: Added a link
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
The price you are quoting might be for a private car service? On departure, I inquired at the front desk and was quoted around 100 Turkish Lira for a private Mercedes to the airport. Everyone we asked gave us an answer of 60-70 Turkish for a taxi which was much more than we paid.

Of course we arrived at IST around 11pm and we left our hotel at 6am, so there was no waiting in traffic. Your hotel is at most two blocks down from where we were so add a little to your costs.

If you are arriving/departing at peak traffic hours or the middle of the business day, consider public transit or a combo of public and taxi.

Personally, after getting off a 10 hour flight, seeing snow falling, etc the taxi was well worth under $20 USD for two people, including tip (meter said 31, I gave him 35). On departure, we opted for a taxi and paid 40 Lira flat, plus a generous tip because he drove so fast that I gained time in the Turkish lounge...

Last edited by abaheti; Dec 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm Reason: added "USD" since multiple currencies discussed
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:51 pm

The price I was quoted was from the hotel front desk. I was pretty sure he told me €45 for both, not TL. Anyways, I appreciate all the info, and they are very helpful indeed. The 20-25TL taxi ride from the airport seems reasonable, and at that late at night (2330), chances are the 20km ride will go by fairly fast. I will have my GPS out and make sure he doesn't take us for a ride elsewhere.

As far as coming back to the airport, that depends on how long a walk from the hotel to the metro, and how long a ride it is. But if the taxi goes well, I don't see why I wouldn't take that back again.

Other than that, I am hoping a smooth trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.