Reload this Page >

Visiting Istanbul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Visas: Turkey generally requires e-visas arranged prior to travel. For most, it's cheap, easy and fast.

Visa requirements by country (current as of 9/1/2017) :

world map, showing visa requirements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p..._of_Turkey.png
no visa needed (for up to 90 days): Germany, France, Japan, New Zealand, many others
e-visa needed (for up to 90 days): U.S., Canada, Australia, Ireland, U.K., many others

official information: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-informati...eigners.en.mfa

Flyertalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...pr-2014-a.html
__________________________________________________ _______

Planning: One of the best and most reliable websites is ex-Lonely Planet author Tom Brosnahan's Turkey Travel Planner.

Maps: Tom's free Google maps of Istanbul are linked to here.

Food: The food specialties include fish (mostly from the Black Sea) but there are restaurants of every kind here, from fish to Turkish and even Ottoman specialties, street food such as balik ekmek (fish sandwich) and the ubiquitous kebap, fine Continental, Turkish fusion, you name it! Tom's restaurant listings, by district, are here.
__________________________________________________ _________

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Visiting Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I haven't been in several years but when I did go it was just another female friend and myself. We are both redheads and I'm rather tall, so we definitely stuck out visually. We had zero safety concerns and walked or took public transit all over the city.

It's like any other city: watch your bags, don't accept drinks from random strangers, don't follow people into small alleys, etc. use your brain and you'll be fine.

I had zero issues with harassment.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by daveland
Appreciate the response, Christopher. I think it probably is fine but maybe he knows I'm not one to sit home at night and prefer to explore nightlife - and that is where he's worried.... I think I'm going to skip this long weekend, but instead work Istanbul/Turkey into a larger trip down the road.
Well, that might be even better, of course, although I've never felt alarmed when out and about in Istanbul at night. The sort of night-life that you're talking about (I imagine) is similar to that in any other "western" city.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
I am planning a trip to Turkey this fall, after the tourists have gone and the weather is cooler. As a noob, I think that 6 nights in Istanbul will be a good opener for me. I'd definitely like to go back and tour Anatolia to see the ancient ruins, especially Mount Nemrut.

That said, when is the best time to book? I've been checking airfares for weeks now, and they mostly seem to hover around $750 r/t. I think I can do better.

Another question: Is it worthwhile staying on the Asia said of the city? Most of the hotels are in Beyazit on the European side. Also, my budget only allows for a 3-star hotel. Any warnings/recommendations for me?
Stay on the European side but avoid the old town or immediately around Taksim Square - it's busy and too full of tourist trap restaurants. If your budget is limited, consider renting an apartment or even a room in a home (sites like Wimdu). Istanbul is vast and there's a danger you spend all your time travelling.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
Another question: Is it worthwhile staying on the Asia said of the city? Most of the hotels are in Beyazit on the European side. Also, my budget only allows for a 3-star hotel. Any warnings/recommendations for me?
I think most other people have said it already, but no, it's not worth it. You should be able to find something reasonably priced on the European side. Try Sirkeci, easy access to the tram, Sultanahmet, Eminönü... and a cheap cab ride to Taksim Square. Or even cheaper with the tram+funicular...
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:56 am

In case anything is interested, I just did a day tour during a quick 12 hour layover at IST. Was certainly enough time to run around and see all of the major sights.

http://hktravelblog.com/2012/08/ista...ay-trip-guide/
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:58 pm

BTW just did a lounge review too for Turkish Airlines at IST. Hopefully can help some people know what to expect.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:55 am

Is there anything in the Sultanahmet area by Hilton or Mariott? Or forget the diamond/platinum benefits and book elsewhere?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Is there anything in the Sultanahmet area by Hilton or Mariott? Or forget the diamond/platinum benefits and book elsewhere?
Doubletree Old City
Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti
Doubletree Old City
Worth it even though "Doubletree" isn't a full service hotel with such amenities? What would I get for benefits?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Worth it even though "Doubletree" isn't a full service hotel with such amenities? What would I get for benefits?
There are several threads that talk about this property. I have not stayed there yet but have a rez for later this year. Benefits are breakfast which gets good reviews and possible upgraded room. Internet. Diamonds report fruit baskets. No lounge floor. Hotel is relatively new, clean, small rooms, walking distance to key tourist sights, next to rail transit. The hamAm gets great reviews. Staff as well.

Full restaurant which also gets good reviews.

I will report back when i live it soon, but the other threrads will fill in gaps if you search here or google the hotel reviews.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by prh
Anyone have issues with taxis -- either safety or waits -- at the Airport. I'm getting into Istanbul at 4 pm after a transatalantic flight and really don't want to wait in a line or get hassled when I'm half asleep.
I've heard the taxis from the airport are fine. As are typically the ones from hotels. However taxis in tourist areas run a couple of scams. I know because I feel victim to them unfortunately.

1. Meter fixing. It's isn't as common as it used to be apparently when they used to be a night and a day rate but it still happens. Be wary of taxis with the meter placed in front of the gear shift. One scam is that the driver will position his hand so it's very difficult to see and follow the rate. In addition they will distract you by pointing out something and do something to the meter. And voila your ride that should cost 25 lira now cots 55... Newer taxis have the meter integrated into the mirro which makes this scam more difficult.

2. Swapping of bills these guys must be magicians or something. During a taxi ride MrsFDW handed me a 50 lira bill. I went to pay the fare and he did some sort of slight of hand and said this is only 5. I was a bit confused with the money so I thought maybe I had only given him a 5. Nope turns out I got scammed. From then I followed each bill into the drivers hand and would say here's twenty etc. in addition I made sure I had small bills to pay the taxi fares.

Not a scam but the driver will say something like Istanbul traffic really bad. Fare will be 30 lira. Get out if you can. Most fares are no more than 20. This was a problem at the chora church because all the taxis there were running the same story.

Yeah I've traveled a lot but these guys here are some of the slimiest cab drivers I've ever experienced. Some of them might not want to drive you up to the hotel for fear that you'll enlist their help. I found at Istanbul feels very safe but that a few bad apples can leave a sour taste.

Just what I've encountered I know most of the 20000 taxi drivers here are honest but its important to watch out.

In other advice do not order museum tickets online from the muze.gov.tr site. Apparently the barcode they use is very finicky and we had no luck getting any of the tickets to work. Furthermore no one at the site seems empowered to fix the problem. So instead of saving time by using e-ticketing it actually cost us time and money. One thing that just came out for foreigners in Sept is the muze card option which is 72 lira for 72 hours of access. That is probably something worth looking into.

So the way I figure, Istanbul owes me at least 175 lira between the taxi scams and the failed e tickets.

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Dec 25, 2012 at 6:27 pm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: united mileage plus
Coming to Istanbul in a few weeks. I don't use atm's abroad. How bad is the exchange in the airport? I'm only there a few days so won't need much. I plan to take the metro & tram to my hotel in Sultanmet (sp?) - the hotel is next to the Hotel Nena. I think the tram stop is Sultanmet - can anyone confirm this? Can I walk to the ferry piers from there? Any good suggestions you would like to share?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by fdflys
Coming to Istanbul in a few weeks. I don't use atm's abroad. How bad is the exchange in the airport? I'm only there a few days so won't need much. I plan to take the metro & tram to my hotel in Sultanmet (sp?) - the hotel is next to the Hotel Nena. I think the tram stop is Sultanmet - can anyone confirm this? Can I walk to the ferry piers from there? Any good suggestions you would like to share?
You're equidistant between Çemberlitaş and Sultanahmet Stations, you would backtrack if you alight at Sultanahmet Station.

It's about 1 km to the ferry piers at Eminönü (15-20 minutes walk) or you can catch the same tram at Sultanahmet and exit 2 stations later at Sirkeci, same direction as travelling from the airport. From there just walk a block (slightly downhill) and cross a very busy street (Kennedy Caddesi/Avenue).
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
From there just walk a block (slightly downhill) and cross a very busy street (Kennedy Caddesi/Avenue).
But there are traffic lights for crossing the street and also (if I remember right) a pedestrian subway/underpass if you prefer that.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Christopher
But there are traffic lights for crossing the street and also (if I remember right) a pedestrian subway/underpass if you prefer that.
Ah yes, also the station after Sirkeci is Eminönü Station, but if I remember correctly Sirkeci Station is closer to the Eminönü Ferry docks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.