Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Schengen visa in old passport.. does it need to be transferred to new passport ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schengen visa in old passport.. does it need to be transferred to new passport ?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Hello Folks,

I have a valid Schengen Visa issued by Germany. There were no blank pages in the passport which has the valid visa and hence I had to take another fresh booklet.
I also took that opportunity to also get an initial added in my middle name in my passport( which I had added by a valid affidavit + newspapers advt)..

So the scenario is as follows :
Old passport name -- ABCD EFGH
Visa issued in name -- ABCD EFGH
New passport name - ABCD X EFGH

My question :
Can I travel taking both the passport's together alongwith proof of name change ?

Any experience in this will be appreciated.

Thanks
Abhi
Old May 10, 2012, 3:19 pm

No problem. Just carry your paperwork.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
No problem. Just carry your paperwork.
Thanks for the reply B747.. I was checking with some folks and apparantly the Schengen visa needs to be on the new passport .. Did you manage to travel with the Schengen visa in the old passport or do are you aware of anyone ?
Am asking since I believe for US visas, its pretty easy and no one cares, but for Schengen they need the visa to be transferred or to take a new visa ..
I am abroad and hence unable to check with the local consulate in India..
Old May 14, 2012, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Thanks for the reply B747.. I was checking with some folks and apparantly the Schengen visa needs to be on the new passport .. Did you manage to travel with the Schengen visa in the old passport or do are you aware of anyone ?
Am asking since I believe for US visas, its pretty easy and no one cares, but for Schengen they need the visa to be transferred or to take a new visa ..
I am abroad and hence unable to check with the local consulate in India..
The EU-rule states the visa must be in the valid passport. Thus, a immigrations officer may deny you entry.
Some countries have enforced this rule heavily, other have not. I think most countries now accept the valid visa being outside the valid passport, but you should double check this.

The name change may pose another difficulty, though..
Old May 15, 2012, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
The EU-rule states the visa must be in the valid passport. Thus, a immigrations officer may deny you entry.
Some countries have enforced this rule heavily, other have not. I think most countries now accept the valid visa being outside the valid passport, but you should double check this.

The name change may pose another difficulty, though..
Thanks for the reply intuition.. I have decided against risking travel with that visa in old passport after doing more research on the net..
Old May 16, 2012, 5:22 pm

Have traveled with Schengen visas not only in a cancelled Indian passports but also in cancelled passports with an interim passport also cancelled (eg. visa issued in 2006 for 2 years in passport A, passport A cancelled later in 2006, passport B issued 2006 and then cancelled in 2008, passport C issued 2008 - I've traveled on passports A, B and C on the basis of visa issued in passport A). I've traveled in this situation to France, Germany, Italy, Greece, Spain, Iceland, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria and Slovenia - over 50 trips (out of 200+ total) under this circumstance. Never once has immigration anywhere raised even a single question about this.

I've also seen hundreds if not thousands of passengers travel to the Schengen states with similar situations (visa in expired/cancelled passports), including those with change of name. Again, never had a single one refused entry.

Additionally, my last UK visa had FIVE interim passports by the time it expired (issued in 2003 - new passports issued in 2003, Jan 2005, Aug 2005, 2006 and 2008) - and its successor was issued with post-dated validity (issued Sep 2008 but valid from Nov 2008 onwards) so that it was never actually used in the passport that it was stamped in (next passport issued Oct 2008). Again, not even the slightest issue.

You are likely to have a bigger issue trying to have a new Schengen visa issued when you already hold a valid one. Trust me on this.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Another example: The finnish border guard have in the passed refused entry for visa holders into Schengen if the visa was not inside the current valid passport.

The finnish interpretation of the schengen-rules was changed/eased only recently. Finland do now accept the visa being in an outdated passport, but this is an example of the fact that Schengen rules are interpreted by individual border authorities and entry process may differ from country to country.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:27 am

I would just like to double-check on the matter.

Can I travel to Germany, on a valid schengen visa which was issued in a cancelled passport (ran out of pages but not expired), whilst also providing my new passport?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by platinumking
Can I travel to Germany, on a valid schengen visa which was issued in a cancelled passport (ran out of pages but not expired), whilst also providing my new passport?
Yes. I've done this >20 times in Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover, Cologne and Dresden. Never an issue.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

over 50 trips (out of 200+ total) under this circumstance. Never once has immigration anywhere raised even a single question about this.
(issued in 2003 - new passports issued in 2003, Jan 2005, Aug 2005, 2006 and 2008) - and its successor was issued with post-dated validity (issued Sep 2008 but valid from Nov 2008 onwards) .
Just out of curiosity.. whats ur line of work .. so much of travel and finishing 32 page booklets in 8 months !..
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Yes. I've done this >20 times in Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover, Cologne and Dresden. Never an issue.
thanks for the detailed reply B747.. appreciate it though as mentioned earlier, I didnt hv the courage to try it..
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Just out of curiosity.. whats ur line of work .. so much of travel and finishing 32 page booklets in 8 months !..
Airline.

PS. The 2006 booklet was actually a 64-page "Jumbo" as well.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Airline.
PS. The 2006 booklet was actually a 64-page "Jumbo" as well.
makes sense
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Latest Status ?

Hello,

My minor daughter is having valid Schengen visa in old passport and getting a new passport soon.. We plan to travel to Finland thru cruise soon.

I still hear conflicting replies from folks on immigration allowing travel with valid Schengen visas in old passport.. Would have assumed these to be streamlined by now .

Anyone has experience with travelling to Finland with visa in cancelled passport ?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:28 am

you can always ask them directly
http://formin.fi/public/default.aspx...&culture=en-US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.