Reload this Page >

Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:34 pm

For all the years I have spent in Manhattan and New York airports, I can assure you that they will be nothing like FRA, LHR, and transiting in the cities where you are going. Don't think that it will be the same - it won't.

It took 10 minutes from landing at my second home airport tonight to get my baggage, and another 10 to get home, but that is extremely unusual and the size of my little French airport is nothing like the walking and navigating crowds you will have to do at FRA and LHR (especially with jet lag)

In future, you want want to consider dial7 or similar car service in New York - if you paid $17 per person, you could have done better with better service and comfort and value of a car service.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We decided to take a transfer shuttle to the front doors of the Plaza.. $17 pp so not a bad deal considering we avoided using the Subway and had to walk 4 blocks from the nearest station. Its manageable to stroll the suitecases through the airports, so I think it shall be manageable during our stint in Europe
Taxi from JFK to Manhattan is $45 (+tip and possible tolls). It's a flat rate. Unless you got a discount for your kids you paid more for your shuttle then you would have paid for a taxi.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
may I remind you to get back on topic? Many weird things happened in this thread, but for sure: NYC taxis are OFF TOPIC here ... so please remember the topic of this thread or we may just decide to close it forever ...

thanks for your understanding

best regards,

chrissxb
co-moderator
europe forum
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Any updates?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Any updates?
Not much time as it has been a whirl wind. I apologize if I haven't been able to get to a computer.

There is so much to share.. I guess the business class has been fabulous, we received first row bulkhead seats on a 744 Lufthansa from EWR to LHR. We had the entire first row. It was a blessing to get such seats for my 6 year old and 2 year old. I noticed that they've been the only children on the business class flight segments that we've taken so far. The seats were slightly angled lie flats. my 6'5" frame lied down completely and comfortably. We had a closet in front of us, so we were able to hang up our coats and store our carryons.

We booked on the Air Canada economy points for business class promo last November. We are thankful to Air Canada for this promotion to be able to book business class seats

LHR was a breeze through immigration. I was expecting a zoo, but it was actually the most easiest and simple customs and immigration experience for us through our history of travel. In fact there were probably 8 agents available with no lineup. We were checked in with passports, and let thru.. probably 3 minutes. I also noticed that there were queues set up for Olympic families, which was unused completely during the time we travelled through the airport.

Business lounges we've visited the trip.. at YYC (great), YYZ International (ok, furniture a bit dated, good buffet selection for breakfast), EWR International (ok, furniture a bit dates, good selection of drinks, light on the fare). No arrival lounge available for us at LHR, but I noticed an arrival lounge for United travellers and 3 other airlines.

July 17th we booked Regents Park Apartment 2 bedroom in Camden Town part of London. We travelled Premier Class Eurostar to Marne La Vallee/Chessy the following day. Near Disneyland Paris, we decided to stay at Prestige Park and Suites. The service here at the hotel has been excellent thus far. The rooms here at Prestige has been 10 out of 10. We received a great rate.. according to the manager, its an unbelievable rate. The shuttle bus is a large Coach with comfortable captain seats.. on off hours, I noticed a 10 passenger van. The shuttles run on a tight schedule.

Disneyland Paris has been a very good experience. Definitely a different park than the usual Disney World and Disneyland in California. We brought our stroller and discovered its a must have during our travels. Very easy to whisk our two year old to and fro. We noticed that many families with small children brought their strollers.

All I can say so far is that this has been a trip of a lifetime. Not sure if we can duplicate it.. of course that's looking forward to the Olympics experience we're about to undertake. The business class definitely helps, and NYC (first time for us) have been a great experience thus far as well. Shall share more details when time lends itself.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Jul 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Not much time as it has been a whirl wind. I apologize if I haven't been able to get to a computer.

Thanks for the update - I'm sure that nearly all of us who have contributed to this thread have been eager to hear your news. I'm glad the experience so far has been positive, but don't forget to report on the negative aspects as well.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:50 am

Glad to hear you're doing well.
Having just returned from Paris with a just-turned-3-yo, I have to say that the strong recommendations against a stroller off-base to me as long as the stroller is lightweight and the child is mobile. We had no issues getting around, and we used the metro mostly. It helps you to get around so much faster and easier when walking place to place. There were many many strollers all about. It seemed that Maclarens were most popular with the French moms. Luckily the hotel had a basic stroller for us to borrow, as we left our Maclaren Volo (the simple/light umbrella model) at home. It would have been nice to have the shoulder strap.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
What am I missing? How does one fly from EWR to LHR on a LH 744???
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
What am I missing? How does one fly from EWR to LHR on a LH 744???
Via FRA - you can't have forgotten, surely, it was mentioned in post #1 back in December 2011!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:01 am

T1 UK Border IS well staffed at the moment, in contrast to how it often is during the rest of the year. I cannot comment for non-EU passengers but I had a chat with one of the border guards I see regularly and he chuckled at how there was no queue at all when I arrived (albeit at off hours). I did challenge him to show me the same experience when I arrive next week again.

Having just done the XXX-FRA-LHR connection again on LH (which is one of my regular routes), I am curious at to if the OP now compares FRA and LHR to YYC or JFK, especially considering that the LH arrval at LHR from FRA often uses airstairs down and two flights of stairs up before beginning the very long trek to immigration, and the quite long walk after that to baggage claim.

As to the rather convoluted routing and being forced to plan a holiday around the limited award availability, the irony is that there were fares in business class/Club World for almost unheard of low prices this year between the UK and Canada. Booking those would have resulted in being able to book the holiday one really wanted, not having to cobble something together based on what was available. And those fares would have earned more miles for future use!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by exbayern

As to the rather convoluted routing and being forced to plan a holiday around the limited award availability, the irony is that there were fares in business class/Club World for almost unheard of low prices this year between the UK and Canada. Booking those would have resulted in being able to book the holiday one really wanted, not having to cobble something together based on what was available. And those fares would have earned more miles for future use!
Don't forget the OP forked out hundreds of dollars in YQ and APD by choosing to fly LH and AC for this trip and out of LHR!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Don't forget the OP forked out hundreds of dollars in YQ and APD by choosing to fly LH and AC for this trip and out of LHR!
And would have ended up with a much more comfortable seat too! The LH C seat is getting old, and many are in disrepair. I am tired of the lack of massage, lack of recline, seats stuck in the down position, etc.

Those were great prices for fully lie flat seats with decent mileage earning opportunities, and many of us here were able to take advantage of them. In the end sometimes paying for a revenue ticket is just as good an option as using miles.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:04 am

From one of the various event emails I received (they are really stepping up the pace, although I don't bother to read the ones from TfL etc anymore):

Be prepared for security checks when you arrive: this will be like taking an international flight at an airport. It will be busy, so aim to be at the venue up to two hours before your session starts. Please note: there will also be an additional search at the entry to the arena inside the venue, which is when your ticket will be scanned.

Bring as little as possible with you: one small soft-sided bag is allowed per person – this must fit under your seat. There are no storage facilities available. You can bring food, provided it fits in your bag, and an empty plastic water bottle to fill up inside the arena. You cannot bring in liquids over 100ml. Read the full list of prohibited and restricted items

You may have to wait to enter the arena: unless your session is the first of the day, you won’t be able to enter the arena until all spectators from the previous session have left. You can visit the shops, bars and restaurants inside the venue while you wait – but the prohibited and restricted items lists still apply for entry into the arena and you will not be able to bring in take-away food purchased from these outlets.
(I just posted that bit but there was more about the usual transport cautions similar to the Boris/TfL emails.

It doesn't sound very conducive to bringing small children to the events with those restrictions, as many of us cautioned way back at the start of thread. Hopefully OP is well aware of these details and has planned ahead for how to deal with small children and potential hot weather (HAH!) and long queues.

There is also a contradictory statement regarding food in that email so it isn't really clear if permitted or not.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by exbayern

There is also a contradictory statement regarding food in that email so it isn't really clear if permitted or not.
Not contradictory as I read it: you can bring in food that fits in the soft-bag-that-fits-under-your-seat (e.g. nutrition bars, fruit, small containers of Cheerios/Goldfish so beloved of American toddlers) but you may not bring in a large take-away bag of fish and chips from an onsite restaurant.

Last edited by Fornebufox; Jul 24, 2012 at 11:33 am
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Speaking of hot weather, 26 degrees may not sound very hot to some people but for the UK its fairly warm and the underground is not air conditioned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.