Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
.. and we may actually end up renting a condo in the few places that we're staying at so we have a bit more room to function..
The last couple of times that I've visited Paris I've rented an apartment, and am doing so again for my next visit in June 2012. That might be the way for you to go if you're staying in places for a week or more at a time - we stay in nice places that are much bigger than hotels, our own kitchen, living room, washing machine and we pay less if we were staying in a hotel. The people that we currently use organise a driver to pick us up at the airport and take us to the apartment for a little more than the price of a taxi; he would also meet us at a train station if we were arriving that way.

It takes a little more organising than with a hotel, but nothing complicated - a couple of emails back and forth and a credit card to confirm the booking and it's done. I wouldn't bother for a really short stay, minimum of a week maybe.

I particularly enjoy having a washing machine. In my youth I spent a few months travelling around France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, UK, Spain...and hated the ritual of finding a laundrette every few days, carrying my washing there, figuring out how to use the machines. Having a kitchen might be good for you too, kids can get pretty bored with eating at restaurants all the time, and if you or Mrs AM are good cooks you can try your skills with the local produce. Maybe AM Junior fancies himself as a Junior Masterchef?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
The last couple of times that I've visited Paris I've rented an apartment, and am doing so again for my next visit in June 2012. That might be the way for you to go if you're staying in places for a week or more at a time - we stay in nice places that are much bigger than hotels, our own kitchen, living room, washing machine and we pay less if we were staying in a hotel. The people that we currently use organise a driver to pick us up at the airport and take us to the apartment for a little more than the price of a taxi; he would also meet us at a train station if we were arriving that way.

It takes a little more organising than with a hotel, but nothing complicated - a couple of emails back and forth and a credit card to confirm the booking and it's done. I wouldn't bother for a really short stay, minimum of a week maybe.

I particularly enjoy having a washing machine. In my youth I spent a few months travelling around France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, UK, Spain...and hated the ritual of finding a laundrette every few days, carrying my washing there, figuring out how to use the machines. Having a kitchen might be good for you too, kids can get pretty bored with eating at restaurants all the time, and if you or Mrs AM are good cooks you can try your skills with the local produce. Maybe AM Junior fancies himself as a Junior Masterchef?
Two destinations for sure that we would stay at probably a week or more.. and that is Paris and London, the way this trip is going..

Its true, I get far more value booking a condo than a hotel in terms of room. I've done this a number of times and always review the particular condo before booking.. So although I haven't been to Europe.. and as others have stated that I should state particular countries.. not having set foot on any European country, I was going to stay conservative and book a hotel, for some concierge guidance or what not.. but the condo or flat concept is making it more of an option to consider..
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember if you decide to go with a hotel- you are in a urban hotel, not a resort. Every meal with small children is going to be a hassle. That and the laundry alone would make a house/flat a worthwhile choice. The ability to have breakfast at home in pj's vs having to get everyone ready in the morning to "go out" and be on "dining out" behaviour three times a day is priceless. London supermarkets have a great variey of heat and serve meals that make quick and easy dinners as well.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Remember if you decide to go with a hotel- you are in a urban hotel, not a resort. Every meal with small children is going to be a hassle. That and the laundry alone would make a house/flat a worthwhile choice. The ability to have breakfast at home in pj's vs having to get everyone ready in the morning to "go out" and be on "dining out" behaviour three times a day is priceless. London supermarkets have a great variey of heat and serve meals that make quick and easy dinners as well.
On another thread regarding rental vehicles.. will it make a difference? I guess we're trying to do this trip without a rental vehicle, whereas we normally would have a rental vehicle with us, so the condo option would be more than palatable..

I wonder what sort of hassle would be involved if we ended up in a non central location without a rental vehicles.. I guess the location of the condo or flat would be important to note in the reviews..

Thanks for the tips.. you're correct, it is a hassle to dress and get out, as opposed to making up something quick on the spot when the kiddies are hungry..
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:29 pm

Two destinations for sure that we would stay at probably a week or more.. and that is Paris and London, the way this trip is going..
Check your PM, I've sent you some info for Paris that might help.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
LOL @:-)

OP or AM is a mature individual and from what I gathered from his posts, his latest vacations were associated with WDW because of his young kids. For sure he is a world traveler with means. Vacation in Europe by 4 people for 7 weeks requires some pennies. I am certain he posted his plans to get a reaction by folks and to receive pointers to choose from as it is easier and more meaningful to hear what people experienced themselves than reading in the book which is typically published for profit. AM will do well on this trip and most likely will use very little of advise provided in this thread.
I have wondered myself what is going on here. Glad that you think that we may not be of use to him, but I am certainly frustrated if I have wasted so much time. Perhaps a different reader would find what I have posted useful, so I will continue to post at this point.

I went to www.disneyland.com or the Paris site part of the website and every room is completely booked.. You guys might want to try it for me to see if I'm losing it, but other hotels onsite seem to be readily available, so I'm pretty happy to get a hotel that is affordable and near by...
Did you read what I posted? I said not to go to the site for North Americans. I just checked the Disneyland Paris site and every hotel, almost every room category, shows available for the first two weeks of August.

I really am puzzled. You have posted a lot of conflicting information here, or perhaps Badgerboi is trying to flatter me regarding my English skills. You have said many times in past that you speak French and are Québécois, have you not? Then again, you also posted about a very long wait at FCO customs once, but you say you have never been to Europe. I really am trying to help you, but I am not certain if I am reading what you post correctly.

And no, I do not recommend a rental car for you. Others have tried to tell you that driving rules and habits are different in other countries, and France has some very specific rules indeed. I cannot fathom how you will easily manage a car in London, Paris, Edinburgh, and I gave you information how you can find a train ticket for 29 Euros to the south of France earlier in this thread.

You may not be used to public transportation, but it is the way to travel in many places. A rental car will be 2 or 3 or more times per week what you pay in Florida or Hawaii, and petrol can be $10/litre. Save that money and put it elsewhere, such as for the London hotel room during the Olympics. A car will be a waste of money and frustrating as well.

Last edited by exbayern; Dec 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
I really am puzzled. You have posted a lot of conflicting information here, or perhaps Badgerboi is trying to flatter me regarding my English skills.
Not at all! However, trying to follow much this thread has forced me to question my own ability to understand English!

People have given much good advice in this thread, and whether or not AM is able or willing to use it, it will remain here for the foreseeable future when people are researching their own trips.

For what it's worth, I feel that the OP is sincere in his search for advice. In any cas, participating in this thread has given me a much-needed break from the horrors of Christmas shopping.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On another thread regarding rental vehicles.. will it make a difference? I guess we're trying to do this trip without a rental vehicle, whereas we normally would have a rental vehicle with us, so the condo option would be more than palatable....
DO NOT RENT A CAR IN LONDON OR PARIS. In case you missed that I'm going to repeat myself. DO NOT RENT A CAR IN LONDON OR PARIS.

You can get a very nice flat or house within a few blocks of a metro/tube station. Most rentals will not come with a parking space and you would never need the car to get anywhere. For example when our kids were small we rented this wonderful row house for ~2000 for a week, less than 5 minutes to Sloane Square tube station, groceries, shopping, bus stops, in a charming residential neighborhood.

http://www.lcpm.net/Propertyview.asp...49&owner_id=55

We placed an online order with Sainsbury and about 2 hours after our arrival a week's worth of groceries arrived on our doorstep. Talk about a hassle free week. And a washer/dryer!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:47 am

In case Vicki did not translate loudly enough, I am also going to add DO NOT RENT A CAR IN NYC AND DO NOT RENT A CAR IN EDINBURGH!

If you are planning a day trip into the countryside, then possibly, but otherwise it is a waste. Last weekend I ended up with an X1, and couldn't use it the entire weekend. I used to drive an A Klasse and now a BMW 100'er, and cannot tell you how many times I drove the mirror off the A Klasse in my garage. Anything larger won't fit in many places.

AND DO NOT RENT A CAR IN NICE, CANNES, MONACO, etc! I am very familiar with the area and spend a good part of my year there and again, anything bigger than the 100'er and I am really struggling to fit in the narrow lanes of traffic and certainly cannot park the car.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:57 am

Going back to Disneyland Paris, I like it more I suspect than many Americans just like I like different coffee than you, OP. It's a matter of taste. Here is why many Disney fans on American fora say that DLP is rubbish:

- They don't speak English all the time. Er, the park is in FRANCE. Virtually every CM speaks French and some English, many speak better English than you or I, and I have twice met one who struggled with French.
- The shows are in Franglais. Again, the park is in FRANCE. Shows may be in Franglais with rather seamless transition back and forth, or some shows such as the Stitch presentation are in different languages at different times of the day. Most rides are in Franglais or French and English, or have no narration. Announcements are at a minimum in French and English
- The breakfast at the hotels are 'bad'. The breakfast goes well beyond a typical French breakfast, and while not a German breakfast buffet and not the standard of Europa Park hotels, is quite good. Breads, rolls, jams, Nutella, yoghurt, muesli, cereals, coffee, juices are above and beyond a typical French offering, and in the better hotels you can upgrade to an 'American' breakfast of hot eggs, etc
- The parks don't sell much clothing merchandise. That is to the local taste; most visitors are from various countries in Europe, where character t-shirts wouldn't be worn in the normal course of the week. Clothing is also very expensive with very high VAT rates in most countries, so spending money on something rarely worn isn't that common.
- The rides are different than at WDW. Yes, they are. Many are far better than at WDW and are now actually being adapted for the American parks
- There isn't typical American fast food. Again, the park is in FRANCE. There is typical European fast food/fair food such as waffles, gelato, sweet popcorn, etc and an attempt at some American items too. And there is McDonalds and Starbucks right outside the park for those who insist on American fare, and Ben and Jerry's is the ice cream brand served in the parks. But the sit down restaurants tend to be much nicer and better food than in the US parks
- There are fewer strollers. For me, heavenly. I have a photo of one of the peak days in August, most popular children's ride, with one stroller parked outside. Most people don't have their children in strollers at age 3, 4, 5 and certainly not 9 or 10 as I read on American Disney fora. It makes for a much easier experience getting around the park for everyone
- There are male cleaners in the women's bathrooms - HORRORS! That is common in France and Germany, and frankly sensible as it saves on costs to have one cleaner for both sides
- There are often military at the train station with guns. Yes, we have a long history of terrorism in our part of the world (far longer than in America), and that is a reality. The RER/TGV station was purpose built for DLP but it is still a French railway station, and it is part of the real world

Then the complaints go on to the cultural stereotypes ('the French are rude, the Italians don't queue, everyone smells', etc) You yourself seem to have already fallen prey to some of those on some of your other threads. Please, do not listen to those stories. If you fall into the trap of wanting or expecting everything and everyone to be just like at home, you won't enjoy yourself as much, and will go looking for the negative.

DLP is much more like DL used to be 20 or 30 years ago, with few strollers, no overly organized character 'meet and greets', and a distinct lack of signage ordering one about and warning one about every tiny danger. (WDW now has signs in the bathrooms not just telling people to wash their hands, but step by step instructions HOW to wash your hands!)

Last edited by exbayern; Dec 22, 2011 at 1:03 am
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:13 am

OP, you really need to read this site as well http://seat61.com/ to learn about how to use trains. (I recall that you don't have any train experience)

Also sign up at idtgv.fr for their specials alerts - you should be able to find 29 Euro fares for your Paris - south of France portion of your trip, and sometimes there are really good specials in first class as well.

I mentioned both of these sites earlier in the thread for you but I don't know if you saw that.

Having just done the xxx-FRA-LHR trip again today, I really encourage you to reconsider your EWR-FRA-LHR portion. I understand that you booked this trip due to the AP error, but if you can please try to change to EWR-LHR.

I don't know how the UACO merger will impact gates in summer 2012, but even if all the stars align at FRA you may still have a miserable connection (I hope that you have at least 2 hours, if not more, for that connection, as a new traveller) There is a thread all about FRA for beginners on the M&M Forum here too.

At that time of the day the LH flight often leaves from B40something gates. You will most likely have to queue at the gate for a passport check, and fill out a landing card, and then queue again to board. Then you have to pass through immigration control at LHR, and the LH flight sometimes comes in a the bmi gates, which is a long walk for your party.

If you DO end up with that connection, understand that just because we tell you that the EWR flight will usually come in at X gate and the LHR flight leave at Y gate, that is not a given for FRA. You could even end up with a bus gate, which are very difficult for the elderly, those lacking mobility, and families with small children.

If you and your wife have SEN access, and you do end up flying from B40something, I am going to suggest that you let your wife enjoy the SEN spa at gate B42 in FRA whilst you take the kids to run off some energy inside the terminal. It will be a very exhausting trip, and that would frankly make a nice break for her from all that airplane travel and the stress of a new environment and handling the kids.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have wondered myself what is going on here. Glad that you think that we may not be of use to him, but I am certainly frustrated if I have wasted so much time. Perhaps a different reader would find what I have posted useful, so I will continue to post at this point.

Did you read what I posted? I said not to go to the site for North Americans. I just checked the Disneyland Paris site and every hotel, almost every room category, shows available for the first two weeks of August.

I really am puzzled. You have posted a lot of conflicting information here, or perhaps Badgerboi is trying to flatter me regarding my English skills. You have said many times in past that you speak French and are Québécois, have you not? Then again, you also posted about a very long wait at FCO customs once, but you say you have never been to Europe. I really am trying to help you, but I am not certain if I am reading what you post correctly.

And no, I do not recommend a rental car for you. Others have tried to tell you that driving rules and habits are different in other countries, and France has some very specific rules indeed. I cannot fathom how you will easily manage a car in London, Paris, Edinburgh, and I gave you information how you can find a train ticket for 29 Euros to the south of France earlier in this thread.

You may not be used to public transportation, but it is the way to travel in many places. A rental car will be 2 or 3 or more times per week what you pay in Florida or Hawaii, and petrol can be $10/litre. Save that money and put it elsewhere, such as for the London hotel room during the Olympics. A car will be a waste of money and frustrating as well.
Feel welcome to post! Certainly I have no problems reading ideas.. I like it all to come out like beehive swath, and afterwards I like to pick out the honey..

Ok.. I'll try another search, because Disneyland Paris owned hotels such as Disneyland Hotel Paris, was completely sold out, and there was a calendar marking availability.. Certainly this hotel would be my first choice, and being rated as #2 on trip advisor is worth something to me.. probably because it gives a good experience for the kids..

After reading the posts.. sounds like mass transit is at an excellent and convenient level where we're going.. so the more I research and journey plan, the more comfortable I'm getting..

I will want to completely journey plan.. I see the Eurostar offering first class passes by the # days over a couple months which I'm really interested in getting.. can I top up on this type of pass or I must by the predetermined amount of days ahead of the journey, and hoping that the number of days is sufficient for our travel and needs?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Not at all! However, trying to follow much this thread has forced me to question my own ability to understand English!

People have given much good advice in this thread, and whether or not AM is able or willing to use it, it will remain here for the foreseeable future when people are researching their own trips.

For what it's worth, I feel that the OP is sincere in his search for advice. In any cas, participating in this thread has given me a much-needed break from the horrors of Christmas shopping.

Haven't finished my Christmas Shopping neither.. I'm closing a commercial building and handling some business for the community association I'm on the board with.. We've got everything.. what could I possibly buy the family but a few toys for the kids?

Plus my youngest son's birthday is Christmas eve.. my head is spinning.

btw.. yes great advice.. but impossible to use it all even if I wanted to, but will definitely be following some advice here..

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
DO NOT RENT A CAR IN LONDON OR PARIS. In case you missed that I'm going to repeat myself. DO NOT RENT A CAR IN LONDON OR PARIS.

You can get a very nice flat or house within a few blocks of a metro/tube station. Most rentals will not come with a parking space and you would never need the car to get anywhere. For example when our kids were small we rented this wonderful row house for ~2000 for a week, less than 5 minutes to Sloane Square tube station, groceries, shopping, bus stops, in a charming residential neighborhood.

http://www.lcpm.net/Propertyview.asp...49&owner_id=55

We placed an online order with Sainsbury and about 2 hours after our arrival a week's worth of groceries arrived on our doorstep. Talk about a hassle free week. And a washer/dryer!
In case Vicki did not translate loudly enough, I am also going to add DO NOT RENT A CAR IN NYC AND DO NOT RENT A CAR IN EDINBURGH!

If you are planning a day trip into the countryside, then possibly, but otherwise it is a waste. Last weekend I ended up with an X1, and couldn't use it the entire weekend. I used to drive an A Klasse and now a BMW 100'er, and cannot tell you how many times I drove the mirror off the A Klasse in my garage. Anything larger won't fit in many places.

AND DO NOT RENT A CAR IN NICE, CANNES, MONACO, etc! I am very familiar with the area and spend a good part of my year there and again, anything bigger than the 100'er and I am really struggling to fit in the narrow lanes of traffic and certainly cannot park the car.
My wife concurs.. she thinks I'm crazy this morning.. even to rent a condo..

But to me thats' a great idea if its near some transit.. we hope to be near a train station at all stops for ease.. Sounds like the condo is an excellent idea.. but my wife doesn't think so and says thats based on her experience and gut feel after visiting London and Paris.. am I off my rocker to think a condo or private flat wouldn't be such a bad place to be if staying for a week?

I'm trying not to rent a vehicle.. but perhaps there is transfer tour we can take while travelling to Marseille from Paris to the cruise destination.. sounds more palatable on a train to get us there fast and enjoy the day and night before embarking on the cruise..
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

OP, you really need to read this site as well http://seat61.com/ to learn about how to use trains. (I recall that you don't have any train experience)

Also sign up at idtgv.fr for their specials alerts - you should be able to find 29 Euro fares for your Paris - south of France portion of your trip, and sometimes there are really good specials in first class as well.

I mentioned both of these sites earlier in the thread for you but I don't know if you saw that.

Having just done the xxx-FRA-LHR trip again today, I really encourage you to reconsider your EWR-FRA-LHR portion. I understand that you booked this trip due to the AP error, but if you can please try to change to EWR-LHR.

I don't know how the UACO merger will impact gates in summer 2012, but even if all the stars align at FRA you may still have a miserable connection (I hope that you have at least 2 hours, if not more, for that connection, as a new traveller) There is a thread all about FRA for beginners on the M&M Forum here too.

At that time of the day the LH flight often leaves from B40something gates. You will most likely have to queue at the gate for a passport check, and fill out a landing card, and then queue again to board. Then you have to pass through immigration control at LHR, and the LH flight sometimes comes in a the bmi gates, which is a long walk for your party.

If you DO end up with that connection, understand that just because we tell you that the EWR flight will usually come in at X gate and the LHR flight leave at Y gate, that is not a given for FRA. You could even end up with a bus gate, which are very difficult for the elderly, those lacking mobility, and families with small children.

If you and your wife have SEN access, and you do end up flying from B40something, I am going to suggest that you let your wife enjoy the SEN spa at gate B42 in FRA whilst you take the kids to run off some energy inside the terminal. It will be a very exhausting trip, and that would frankly make a nice break for her from all that airplane travel and the stress of a new environment and handling the kids.
Thanks for the blurb on Disney.. Frankly, we're there to experience something different.. so different rides and shows, even in a foreign language is where its at.. and we're planning to hit every doable show and attraction that our kids can get on.. and I'll hit the rollercoasters once seperately from the kids just to say I've done it..

The train link is very good, I had a quick browse through it and will start plugging in destinations to get a feel how quickly we can get to DLP, to Marseilles, and Marseilles to Paris, and Paris to London for the Olympics..

Is it safe to say that I can get a train on Eurostar back to the Olympics on the day we want to travel from Paris to London? Or should I have a reserved seat ahead of time.. I would like to do First Class if possible.. sounds like the tickets are reasonably priced.. and looks like I can get combination of tickets to where we need to go in one package.. but I'm afraid if we're short of days enough on the pass to travel, we may have to forgo savings and buy another pass? Or can you just add onto the ticket package # or days when needed?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
You'll need to book eurostar tickets ahead of when you want to travel or it is almost definately safe to say you won't be travelling, its peak holiday season after all! On Eurostar there are Standard, Standard Premier and Business, with the kids you'll want Standard Premier, the futher you can book ahead the more reasonable the prices will be!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.