Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient

Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient

Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:55 pm

I avoid Covent Garden in general (there are always better ways to get there on foot) but I have gone up the stairs almost any time I can recall ever getting off at Covent Garden. (And that would be weekdays, as I would never ever attempt Covent Garden on a weekend)

In comparison, there are 240 steps up to the Tian Tan Buddha, which I have done a few times. I also climb the hill/steps up to Greenwich observatory, and the 213 steps to the Colline du Château in Nice.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you find stairs 'outside' less tiring than inside? I do, and have little issue when they aren't enclosed. Maybe it's a teensy bit of claustrophobia making them hotter and more tiring!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:15 pm

I think that it depends on the stairs, and the number of people more than inside/outside for me. Spiral stairs are also more of a challenge to me (such as those at Abbesses, or the Maiden Tower in Baku) I don't have an issue with the normal Paris metro steps, and those are all inside, and many go quite deep.

Then there is the depth of the steps themselves; the most challenging I have encountered were outside, and so deep that even with my relative height I was almost sitting on each step to move down to the next one. This was at a less populated part of the Great Wall.

I suppose that the Paris metro in general with its many, many steps is good practice for more challenging staircases around the world.

Abbesses = 200+ steps, from the funicular base station to the top station = 225+ steps, from the top station to Sacré-Coeur = a few more, for a total of about 450 steps. All those years of being too poor to afford the funicular to Hohensalzburg do pay off! (And I don't know how many steps in the Salzburg catacombs, but they too are steep and slippery with age)

Last edited by exbayern; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
I avoid Covent Garden in general (there are always better ways to get there on foot) but I have gone up the stairs almost any time I can recall ever getting off at Covent Garden. (And that would be weekdays, as I would never ever attempt Covent Garden on a weekend)

In comparison, there are 240 steps up to the Tian Tan Buddha, which I have done a few times. I also climb the hill/steps up to Greenwich observatory, and the 213 steps to the Colline du Château in Nice.
Re: Covent Garden station – absolutely! I don't like the lifts (or the stairs), but even leaving that aside, it is so close to Leicester Square station that any saving in time that might have been gained by using Covent Garden is more or less negated anyway by the time one has fought one's way from the street to the platform, or vice versa.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Christopher
Re: Covent Garden station – absolutely!
I'm still very curious to see what happens during the Olympics. I posted a link to a video showing the 1+ hour waits to enter the station during the winter Olympics in Vancouver on the companion thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ic-info-3.html (And that was a less populated winter games...)

With the latest bonus offer rejection as well as the ongoing concerns about the Jubilee line, I don't think that it would take much at all to disrupt traffic or cause some sort of crowd control issue. The signage to move down the platform does little now to alleviate some of the crush, so I cannot imagine what it will be like during the Olympics. I know that all efforts are in place to avoid another Bethnal Green or Kings Cross, but all it takes is something to set off a panic, and it could really be dangerous.

Again, I'm not a fearmongerer, but this is one area which I think is so unpredicatable that nobody can plan for every possible outcome.

Edited to add: OP, here is a thread about a television program you should watch. It may help you to better understand what we have tried to explain about the Tube. I've seen a few episodes and highly recommend it. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...6641-tube.html

I also recommend downloading one of the many Tube map apps onto your iphone, as well as the ratpLite app. Even though you won't be using your smartphone much (I'm sceptical about the wi-fi coming soon to stations), the maps are invaluable for finding alternate routes, or planning last minute detours. I use my ratp one all the time.

Last edited by exbayern; Mar 20, 2012 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We've located some decent accomodations near DLP, but haven't even booked that aspect of it yet. I will be purchasing DLP annual passes for the entire family as we are planning to stay there for 7 days, perhaps breaking up the DLP visit in 2.. my two year old will not need the pass to enter the gates of DLP.
Do you mean the Francilien or Découverte annual passport? That was originally intended for residents, and while they do sell it to non-residents, they may suspend it at any time (remember, it is a major anniversary year) In past a few people did have issues buying one, so if that is your plan just be aware. DL used to sell the SoCal AP to non-residents of the required zip codes before DCA opened, but ended that practice.

If that is what you do intend to purchase, then you will need to ensure that you take note of the following:

1) You cannot return to the parks for two days after you purchase the Francilien and Découverte AP ie on the 2nd and the 3rd day it is active. Also, note that AP processing times are much longer at DLP than at WDW so you will need to allocate time for that - usually about 30-45 minutes in low season, but up to an hour in peak season if you have not purchased a DLP AP before

2) There are blackout dates when you will not be able to use the pass. The Découverte has the most (115)

Perhaps useful information at many angles.. but as an FT user, I can only go with one route and have not made any final decisions as to the trip, except for of course Olympic tickets.
I'm sorry that you don't feel that the information people are posting is useful, but I do believe that people are sincerely trying to help you. However, some of your questions on this and the Tube thread have been a little unusual, and I also think that we continue to struggle with what you actually want to see and do, as that isn't clear other than Disney and the Olympics.

If you give us some ideas, we can give you more facts and advice.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I haven't really been giving much thought lately as we're leaving for our Spring Break trip to Hawaii in a couple of days. Much of my time have been finishing up work, doing the financial year ends, and preparing for our multi island trip.

I will have a slew of questions. I apologize for being non-commital up to this point.. but really, we only given thought to what we may want to do. I think New York on the way is set in stone, and we're definitely looking forward to staying at the Plaza.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:36 pm

I am genuinely curious why you are no longer going to Paris.

You said that you were going to spend your 'days off' from Disney near the hotel. I can assure you that Marne-la-Vallée is a dull, purpose built suburb of office buildings and flats, with a shopping mall and a chain aquarium. There really isn't much to keep anyone occupied for an entire day, especially with the real Paris just 40 minutes away.

Yes, you need to be realistic about how you visit Paris, and I have said many times that you can plan your route around the city sights by bus, and recommended that you stay in central Paris, especially with small children.

But not to visit Paris at all is beyond a shame, considering how much time you are planning on spending right at the doorstep to one of the great cities of the world.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I am genuinely curious why you are no longer going to Paris.

You said that you were going to spend your 'days off' from Disney near the hotel. I can assure you that Marne-la-Vallée is a dull, purpose built suburb of office buildings and flats, with a shopping mall and a chain aquarium. There really isn't much to keep anyone occupied for an entire day, especially with the real Paris just 40 minutes away.

Yes, you need to be realistic about how you visit Paris, and I have said many times that you can plan your route around the city sights by bus, and recommended that you stay in central Paris, especially with small children.

But not to visit Paris at all is beyond a shame, considering how much time you are planning on spending right at the doorstep to one of the great cities of the world.
I never said that I wasn't going to Paris.. where did you get that?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:50 am

The pass book sounds like a good alternative. While we're looking for flexibility with the DLP annual pass, I think we're looking to take a break from DLP, but not move hotels.

We located one hotel right beside RER one stop to DLP, and there is a transfer door to door DLP at no charge as well. But I guess if we take the day off, then we'll just hang around close by the amenities instead of venturing out.
I suppose that all these people misunderstood you? Since you didn't correct them, they most likely believe what you wrote about not going into central Paris.

Originally Posted by emma69
I think it would be a shame to go to Paris, and not actually go to Paris. I'm sure the kids will love DLP, but ultimately, they can do exactly those things closer to home, whereas they can't see Paris closer to home.
Originally Posted by Moineau
At face value I agree with you 100%. However, for some background you need to read this thread.
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Yes, indeed - that thread is, erm, 'interesting'...
Again, I think that the responses you are receiving are based on your posts.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean the Francilien or Découverte annual passport? That was originally intended for residents, and while they do sell it to non-residents, they may suspend it at any time (remember, it is a major anniversary year) In past a few people did have issues buying one, so if that is your plan just be aware. DL used to sell the SoCal AP to non-residents of the required zip codes before DCA opened, but ended that practice.

If that is what you do intend to purchase, then you will need to ensure that you take note of the following:

1) You cannot return to the parks for two days after you purchase the Francilien and Découverte AP ie on the 2nd and the 3rd day it is active. Also, note that AP processing times are much longer at DLP than at WDW so you will need to allocate time for that - usually about 30-45 minutes in low season, but up to an hour in peak season if you have not purchased a DLP AP before

2) There are blackout dates when you will not be able to use the pass. The Découverte has the most (115)

I'm sorry that you don't feel that the information people are posting is useful, but I do believe that people are sincerely trying to help you. However, some of your questions on this and the Tube thread have been a little unusual, and I also think that we continue to struggle with what you actually want to see and do, as that isn't clear other than Disney and the Olympics.

If you give us some ideas, we can give you more facts and advice.
The full price annual pass (199 euros) seems to be the better value for the OP, as it includes things like free stroller rental (9 euro per day I think was said?) and discounts off the restaurants and stores which I am guessing adds up for 4 people. But mostly because you get the extra park hours, and as he is not staying at a Disney hotel (although 35% off the Disney hotel with the pass might make it a better option in the end).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by emma69
The full price annual pass (199 euros) seems to be the better value for the OP, as it includes things like free stroller rental (9 euro per day I think was said?) and discounts off the restaurants and stores which I am guessing adds up for 4 people. But mostly because you get the extra park hours, and as he is not staying at a Disney hotel (although 35% off the Disney hotel with the pass might make it a better option in the end).
I know, which is why I said it earlier regarding the different ranges of discounts as well as the value of the magic hours, especially with small children. The two base ones really don't have many discounts because they were intended for locals in the Île-de-France region who wouldn't be using hotel discounts in any case.

That is also why I suggested that if one person purchases that one, others purchase the lesser ones (if they work based on dates/plans, but again there are a lot of restrictions on them)

And it is also why I suggested parrainage several times.

I appreciate your voicing it too, but it was said many times back up in the thread. Perhaps it just needs to be said again, or by a different voice. Ginger I think also pointed out some of the offers.

The hotel offer was actually not as good as the 40% off plus kids stay free plus free transport offer which we did suggest a few times upthread. That really WAS a great offer, especially in peak season, and especially for those who like the OP are travelling from the UK.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I suppose that all these people misunderstood you? Since you didn't correct them, they most likely believe what you wrote about not going into central Paris.

Again, I think that the responses you are receiving are based on your posts.
That's while we are staying at hotel near DLP for 7 days. If we decide to take a break and not go for a day, we were contemplating options. For the record we are planning to visit Paris. I was weighing whether or not it would be a good idea to extend the stay at the actual DLP hotel, and take breaks in between, or move to another hotel location.. but definitely Paris is high on the radar of must visit.

Emma69.. good point on the stroller rental for pass at $199 euro.. I actually didn't realize that. Can I actually purchase one $199 euro pass, and the rest at lower level passes, or is the family all required to purchase the same level pass?

Packing for Hawaii now.. probably most of the night. Will be busy tomorrow moving family to the airport and off to Honolulu.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:20 pm

You can have different passes, but you must check the black out dates. And the discounts vary by pass. If any member of your party has a pass which has a black out date, they will not be admitted on that date. And again, there are restrictions on the two lower types of passes after the day of entry.

The prices in France are in Euro, NOT in Dollar. There is no such currency as a Euro dollar as you have written ie $199 Euro.

The symbol for the Euro is €

I would do the math on the passes. Purchasing the most expensive just to get a discount on the stroller rental may not be a good value, especially as you don't seem to want to stay at the onsite hotels and thus not take advantage of the various discounts.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You can have different passes, but you must check the black out dates. And the discounts vary by pass. If any member of your party has a pass which has a black out date, they will not be admitted on that date. And again, there are restrictions on the two lower types of passes after the day of entry.

The prices in France are in Euro, NOT in Dollar. There is no such currency as a Euro dollar as you have written ie $199 Euro.

The symbol for the Euro is €

I would do the math on the passes. Purchasing the most expensive just to get a discount on the stroller rental may not be a good value, especially as you don't seem to want to stay at the onsite hotels and thus not take advantage of the various discounts.
Ok.. not sure where the euro symbol is on my keyboard. Perhaps its a north american keyboard. I'm well aware of the $1.31 exchange rate Cdn dollar to Euro. Odd, you'd think a Hamburg Steinway D piano would fall in price because of the favorable exchange rate, but still sits at $190,000 cdn plus tax..

We are thinking of Paris for a week.. but been checking out a few Fairmonts, one in Montreux, one in Monte Carlo and one in Hamburg.. in addition to the Savoy and St Andrews.. would be nice to visit some of these hotels on our trip, but will work on the Europe trip when we get back from Hawaii.. we'll likely discuss what we want to do in Europe on our vacation. Will be good time to dialogue, as we have been swamped with normal course and business for the past few weeks especially with year end and such.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.