Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient

Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient

Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
Oh like with a company branding?
The signs i've seen in the UK have clear step by step instructions on how to wash hands properly but not sponsered as such
I've seen such signs in Butlins - they're not sponsored, AFAIK. I assumed they were to educate the kiddies, rather than for staff.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by teflon
I've seen such signs in Butlins - they're not sponsored, AFAIK. I assumed they were to educate the kiddies, rather than for staff.
That I could see, based on the nature of Butlins (Actually, I had to look it up as I didn't realise that they still exist, but I was thinking of the more communal nature of the past). What irks me is that those signs never existed, and only were posted once a sponsorship deal was reached. It makes me feel that they are treating their guests as being rather dense.

I suppose what annoys me about the US Disney parks is the current, very transparent change in attitude by leadership. They are raking in money, and were doing so even during the downturn in the economy. The new prices for passes for DL and WDW were released recently and are staggering. I pay less than €100/year for a DLP AP, and yet the prices for one DAY at an American Disney park are approaching that figure. (Yes, I realise that longer passes cost less, but the increases there are also quite remarkable) Even with my discounts I don't see the value anymore.

Combine the staggering prices at the US parks with the vast amount of things which have been scaled back (major Christmas installations and decorations, random delights) and the severe reduction in quality of food, homogenousization of products, poor condition of resorts, abysmal housekeeping and maintenance, and it just isn't attractive anymore. I'm glad that DLP hasn't yet gone that route.

Of course, no matter how high they raise the prices, they seem to have an unlimited supply of people willing to pay for mediocre product and service; occupancy for their parks and resorts has never been higher, even at these prices, and even with the current economy.

Over on the European theme park thread, I still vote for EuropaPark as best European theme park, but will continue to visit DLP every so often, so long as they don't go the American route.

In the end, however, we are just talking amongst ourselves here as I don't believe that OP ever came back to update us. (I admit to missing debating my old friend lewisc, and am enjoying the discussion with him) OP did say that he would make more plans after his Hawaiian holiday, so it would be nice to hear how he is faring.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Oh like with a company branding?
The signs i've seen in the UK have clear step by step instructions on how to wash hands properly but not sponsered as such
Yes, it's very clear and the only place I've ever seen company branding is at WDW. It's the usual instructions, followed by the name of the company providing the paper.

I've gone completely blank on which company it is, but it's definitely an ad.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:43 pm

Bounty, or perhaps Husky?

I do wonder who will sponsor the EuropaPark version of Autopia as Lada I assume will no longer sponsor the Lada Autodrom.

And the day that Disney decides to permit the provider of their toilet paper to install signs inside the cubicles instructing us to do our business, I will put my remaining DVC points up for sale. Some things really do not require step by step instructions!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Perhaps Bounty. I can't remember. I just thought them odd, since they were fairly new.

I'll be back in a few weeks and pay better attention
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:29 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Having just returned from a day in London watching the river Pageant i do not envy anyone going to the Olympics, the crowds were somewhat major and they kept closing train stations without notice, we got to Waterloo just as the crowds started er "crowding" and they closed it so it became a major crush that fortunately we (myself, my 5 yr old and my dad) managed to escape from and all they could say by way of explanation was 'it happens'
Apart from that was a good day however, got to see the Queen
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:05 pm

Having just returned from a day in London watching the river Pageant i do not envy anyone going to the Olympics, the crowds were somewhat major and they kept closing train stations without notice, we got to Waterloo just as the crowds started er "crowding" and they closed it so it became a major crush that fortunately we (myself, my 5 yr old and my dad) managed to escape from and all they could say by way of explanation was 'it happens'
Apart from that was a good day however, got to see the Queen
I keep thinking that every time I am in London. A few weeks ago the crush on a Friday was insane on Oxford Street and one couldn't move. The last time I experienced that was in midtown Manhattan on the afternoon of a New Year's Eve. Granted, there is Crossrail construction, and several stations are in the midst of upgrades, but everywhere in high traffic and popular areas seems to be busier and busier as the year progresses.

I don't know if I mentioned it upthread but the queues middle of the afternoon at Paddington for a taxi were insane; longer than in the morning when the share scheme is in effect, and passengers were being directed out of the queue area and into the rain to wait.

Jubilee weekend was probably a good practice run, but like I just cannot imagine and do not envy anyone who has to brave the crowds.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:26 pm

Wow, what an epic and wacky thread. Finally made my way through it over this long weekend. I thought I was nervous about taking our 3yo to London/Paris for 8/3 days. And my parents will be with us. I can't imagine 2 kids and 2 adults, but more power to you if your kids can handle that. We took our then 9mo to the Vancouver Olympics and it was a blast! I only missed one long dance due to crankiness. It was crowded but never a problem. Mass transit is your friend. Bus rides have always been a great nap inducer. I found quite a bit of the info here useful personally. Thanks to the contributors. You've finally convinced me not to take a stroller. We are renting a car for London, but we're only going into the city for one day (via tube, of course).

To add to discussions:
I do like wearing a money belt, but only when visiting a known crowded tourist trap (Eiffel Tower/Notre Dame), or when vulnerable (loaded with luggage/with child alone).
As far as Disneyland and strollers, our extended family has had about 30 years without incident, but we always have old/cheap/simple/unique strollers and backpacks. That's the best theft deterrence in our experience. I'd recommend the OP family take the showiness down a peg. Replacing your wife's 2ct Diamond ring with a 2ct CZ ring doesn't make you any less of a target. Both look the same to a thief. Please consider toning down, for your family's safety.

Are you checking hotel award availability? I know you're super-loyal to Fairmont but at least you should be checking Priority Club, since it's easy to buy points when you need them. When LOCOG returned thousands of rooms back to the hotels in Jan/Feb, Priority Club had rooms at standard redemption rates.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...available-now/
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Been awhile since I've updated here.. and I apologize as its been pretty overwhelming lately.. a good overwhelming at that.

So the itinerary so far looks like the following for us.

July 10-16 NY Plaza (EWR)
July 17 LHR
July 18 St Pancras Station Eurostar Direct to Marne La Valle on the Eurostar Premier Class (Disneyland Paris) 7 night stay
July 25 Renting a Benz for 13 nights from SixT (automatic) Marne La Valle - Chessy station head to Fairmont Le Montreux Palace for 5 nights, having booked friends and family rate, staying in a suite overlooking Lake Geneva (brekkie, and spa access included)
July 30 Beginning 8 nights of travel around from Montreux and back to Paris. We are thinking of hitting up neighboring areas including Germany, Lechenstein, Austria, Italy, France. Open to suggestions what we need to see. My wife wants to visit Austria. We'll definitely stop in Nice, Florence, Venice, Rome.
August 6th Eurostar Nord du Gare to London St Pancras. Drop off SixT rental to Paris East Train Station and walking accross to Nord du Gare.
August 6th to 13th London Olympics.

August 13th to 16th - Still TBD, open to suggestions. We're thinking possibly taking the Eurostar back to Paris and coming back to London. We've looked into Scotland and that is a possibility. We're looking into using a suite upgrade into an executive suite, as that's over 700 sq ft. But, it doesn't look like it would be an easy room to book. We have reservations about renting a car in UK, as driving is on the left side of the road, and we're not used to that.

August 16th - 23rd - Fairmont London Savoy, booked friends and family rate, with upgrade to Deluxe. Sunday night stay includes a low rate with supper and breakfast.
August 23rd - 28th - Fairmont York in Toronto, confirmed one bedroom suite and booked friends and family rate.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:39 am

July 25 Renting a Benz for 13 nights from SixT (automatic) Marne La Valle - Chessy station head to Fairmont Le Montreux Palace for 5 nights, having booked friends and family rate, staying in a suite overlooking Lake Geneva (brekkie, and spa access included)
July 30 Beginning 8 nights of travel around from Montreux and back to Paris. We are thinking of hitting up neighboring areas including Germany, Lechenstein, Austria, Italy, France. Open to suggestions what we need to see. My wife wants to visit Austria. We'll definitely stop in Nice, Florence, Venice, Rome.
I'm heading off to work in a moment so don't have time to comment, however I would seriously reconsider this plan for many reasons including cost, time, and distance.

8 nights to see Nice, Florence, Venice, Rome AND Germany, Austria, etc? 8 nights would be a large stretch for even two of those locations.

Go to viamichelin.com and look at distances. And then look at costs in Switzerland, and look up the fact that you'll need to purchase vignettes for Switzerland (at great cost) and Austria.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by exbayern
8 nights to see Nice, Florence, Venice, Rome AND Germany, Austria, etc? 8 nights would be a large stretch for even two of those locations.
+1 I'm guessing OP really wants to brag to all their friends that they went on every single tollway around Europe and slept in 5 different countries and 8+ different cities! Second the suggestion that OP limit themselves to 2 major cities among 4 in Italy + 4 other countries.

Any idea what the OP will do while in Montreux? Geneva? Lausanne? Boat trip on Lake Geneva - day trip to Evian? Lavaux vineyards? Jungfrau? Zermatt? Interlaken? Zurich?

Last edited by choijw; Jun 11, 2012 at 7:35 am Reason: swiss travel plans
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:18 am

Based on the fact that OP has repeatedly expressed no interest in much which motivates most travellers to 'Europe' at all even when asked, I believe that the only motivation for Montreux appears to be an upgrade at a mid-range hotel chain. It would not be the first (nor the second, or third) place I would recommend to a first time, obviously very novice traveller coming to Europe.

But the reality is that after six months and one of the most prolific (and bizarre) threads on FT, OP still seems to want to run around checking countries off a list, with some goal of being able to say that he 'did Europe'. And OP still seems to plan to drive around major cities - Rome? Really? I hope that Mercedes is an A Klasse (nothing wrong with that, I drive one, and perfectly serviceable for a family of four) or at most a B Klasse. Anything larger won't fit in many lanes, alleyways, or garages, and won't be able to park on city streets, and won't fit in small villages.

After spending a weekend in Switzerland trying to get back to Bavaria via Austria last August, I would suggest that while the Swiss plans sound lovely, the reality is that at time of the year much of it will be spend inside a car travelling, instead of enjoying what the country has to offer. I have similar memories of sitting in Stau in Austria driving from Bavaria to Slovenia the previous August.

In the end, after taking the last 2 hours to walk 1,5 km home along one of the most fantastic beaches in the world (which OP has on his list of places to 'hit'), I cannot decide if 'Bon voyage', 'Bonne chance, Clark' or 'well played' is appropriate. Instead I will just say to my friend Lewis that you sir are a very clever person indeed, and leave it at that for now.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Can only suggest if you really have to visit Austria, Italy etc in the same trip then you fly there! Otherwise it'll literally be a stop in a hotel and a long time in a car which with two small children i'm sure you won't want to do so much of!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by exbayern
After spending a weekend in Switzerland trying to get back to Bavaria via Austria last August, I would suggest that while the Swiss plans sound lovely, the reality is that at time of the year much of it will be spend inside a car travelling, instead of enjoying what the country has to offer.
Due to the frequent speed trap cameras, Swiss people drive at the speed limit which is really low (usually 100kmph or 80kmph, rarely 120kmph). I know someone who lost their license for driving too fast. I find Swiss roads extremely frustrating and prefer taking the train as it is usually faster during commute times and weekends!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:56 pm

One thing that's very important to understand is that there will be seriously long lines at your Olympic destinations – lines for getting close to the gates, the security checkpoints, moving around, toilets, finding your seats, having something to eat etc. You will spend a lot of time just in lines.

By choosing a hotel far away from your destinations you add more time. If you choose a hotel in zone 1 or maybe zone 2 you won’t need to travel so long. I understand the money issue, but booking a more central hotel would be money really well spent!

On the other hand, and this is a real problem, since you will visit several venues in different parts of London it is hard to find a hotel that will be close to everything you need.

No matter what, the less time you stay in the Underground and on other public transport the better for you. It’s often very hot and crowded and it will be much, much worse than usual during the games. Don’t underestimate how long it takes to change between different lines even during normal circumstances. When really crowded you often have to wait for several trains to go by before you get anywhere near enough to get onboard a train that already seems to be completely full.

Also consider the size of a typical London budget hotel room! They generally range from small to claustrophobic. Often the only difference between a double and a twin room is that in the double the beds are pushed together. In really small rooms there might only be space on one side of the bed.

Understand that a room with three beds may not be any larger than a room with two beds. With three beds there might be one single and one bunk bed. Or three single beds crammed together with hardly any floor left to stand on, let alone to put your bags.

Small rooms can be a letdown when travelling alone or with a friend, but with kids they are a real problem. Where are you going to put all your clothing and other stuff? It would be much wiser to book two rooms or even better, an apartment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.