Wiki Posts
Search

moving to Europe - how to utilize my miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, United Premiere Gold, Air France
moving to Europe - how to utilize my miles

My family will be living in France for the next 3-5 years. I have Gold Medallion status with Delta and have banked a lot of miles. They are easy and cheap to use from the US to Europe, but using miles when originating in the EU, taxes can be $300-$500...which could cost our family up to $1500 for rt. Not really a bargain at all when TATL sale fares cost little more. Should I never count on using a reward ticket to visit home? Is there any way around this? Whats the point in building frequent flyer miles when its crippling to use them? Is there something I'm missing here?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rd-ticket.html

If you still have a US address, and you have regular travel planned, I would think you could buy one-way fares Europe-US the first time you travel and then do awards US-Europe and back. Though you would always be booking the first leg of your next US-bound trip way in advance -- and might be dicey finding the award availability back to Europe as you actually get close to that trip and book a US-Europe-US RT award the next time.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:19 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Either follow Dbuckho's advice on flying awards out of the US, but planning may be difficult, or use them for biz class. 300-400 EUR for a biz class flight is not too bad, especially when going with AF to places where there is rarely a biz dicount fare.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, United Premiere Gold, Air France
MARLIM - CDG is going to be my base too. Just out of curiosity, why have you kept most of your flying with SkyTeam? I know AF is obviously the most connected there. But with often cheaper fares and many more airline choices, is *A not a better option for you? Is redemption from CDG easier on *A?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Flying out or through CDG (from other domestic French airports), there is only AF which can get me to all destinations I have to fly for work on nonstop service. That's the reason I feel comfortable with Skyteam in France. For paid fares, AF is usually not very competitive out of CDG, but you can take them out of BRU (or combine DL from there and then back to CDG) and then you'll find many very competitive fares. If you are patient, sometimes AF and also KL have some interesting promotional fares out of CDG. For mileage redemption, I have not found it very difficult to find space on AF or KL flights in biz. I can't tell you about availability on * as I never tried to redeem miles there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.