Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Schengen visa: 'Duration of Stay' question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Hi

I'm a South African, resident in London.

I have just received my multi entry Schengen Visa for two trips to:

- 18 days in Central Europe (Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland)
- 6 days in Spain (starts 2 weeks after I get back from the first trip)

I have the visa in hand, obtained through the Polish Embassy, but they have only given me 20 days "Duration Of Stay." I need 24, right?

I have tried contacting the Polish Embassy, but they are *extremely* unhelpful.

My vacation starts in a few days. Am I in trouble?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:03 pm

You better go back to the Polish embassy in person and get it corrected so that it fits your plans.

I experienced the same when I applied for a Hungarian Visa (back when I wasn't Canadian yet), and they also gave less than the required days, so I had to request them to issue another/corrected visa.

Do it in person, trying to contact them online or by phone will not get you anywhere. Go get it done, or change your travel plans accordingly
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Alternatively, get another Spanish visa?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:37 pm

Wouldn't two distinct trips require two distinct visas?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by adventureadam
Wouldn't two distinct trips require two distinct visas?
Well, no, not if (a) the visa is a multiple-entry visa, (b) the dates of the first entry into and the last exit out of the Schengen area are within the valid dates of the visa, and (c) the total time spent in the Schengen area isn't in contravention of what is stipulated as part of the visa conditions.

It is the middle of these three requirements that the OP can't fulfil with the present visa, I think.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher
Well, no, not if (a) the visa is a multiple-entry visa, (b) the dates of the first entry into and the last exit out of the Schengen area are within the valid dates of the visa, and (c) the total time spent in the Schengen area isn't in contravention of what is stipulated as part of the visa conditions.

It is the middle of these three requirements that the OP can't fulfil with the present visa, I think.
The last as well, from what I understand.

You're correct, but it doesn't sound like OP applied for the appropriate visa.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by SA_Traveller
Hi

I'm a South African, resident in London.

I have just received my multi entry Schengen Visa for two trips to:

- 18 days in Central Europe (Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland)
- 6 days in Spain (starts 2 weeks after I get back from the first trip)

I have the visa in hand, obtained through the Polish Embassy, but they have only given me 20 days "Duration Of Stay." I need 24, right?

I have tried contacting the Polish Embassy, but they are *extremely* unhelpful.

My vacation starts in a few days. Am I in trouble?
As others have said one option u have is to ask the Polish embassy to extend the duration of stay on your existing visa.
Other option is to apply for another visa once u r back from ur 1st trip of 18days. You will need to submit usual documentation and fees again I guess if you do this..
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Why are the 20 days are not enough? First trip is 18 days which is less than 20 days. Second trip is 6 days which again is less then 20 days. I doubt that the twenty days are the summary of the duration of all trips combined but rather the maximum duration for every single entry.

What is the expiration date of the visa? I would say as long as the visa is valid you can enter as often you want the Schengen Area, since it is a multiple entry, but only allowed to stay maximum of 20 days every time yo enter.

I might be total wrong and since I'm not a immigration expert I suggest you contact the Polish Embassy again to clear it out.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Why are the 20 days are not enough? First trip is 18 days which is less than 20 days. Second trip is 6 days which again is less then 20 days. I doubt that the twenty days are the summary of the duration of all trips combined but rather the maximum duration for every single entry.What is the expiration date of the visa? I would say as long as the visa is valid you can enter as often you want the Schengen Area, since it is a multiple entry, but only allowed to stay maximum of 20 days every time yo enter.
I might be total wrong and since I'm not a immigration expert I suggest you contact the Polish Embassy again to clear it out.
Nope.. IME and I have had multiple Schengen visas, the duration of stay is the maximum number of days you can stay in a period of 6 months.. If the visa is valid for 6 months or 1 year then the duration of stay is usually given as 90 meaning we can stay 90 days every 180 days. My experience with many schengen visas ( issued by Germany, Austria, Czech ).

To the OP -- In your instant case, whats the difference in the days given in the valid from and valid to place in the visa . IME, the duration of stay is the maximum stay possible in total of all trips within that period but u should ofcourse double check if needed. Do post the update for everyone's benefit.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:42 am

What is the validity of the visa? As in the expiry date?

You may have a bigger problem. If Poland has issued you a Schengen visa with a limitation of 20 days in 180 days (6 month visa validity), no other Schengen state may issue you a visa with more liberal conditions.

This has the effect of reducing your permitted stay in Schengen to only 20 (rather than 90) days in a 180 day period and any subsequent visa application in the 180 day period must adhere to this.

You will need to sort this out with the Polish Embassy that issued you the visa PRIOR to your first trip, otherwise you may wind up having to cancel the second trip.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
What is the validity of the visa? As in the expiry date?

You may have a bigger problem. If Poland has issued you a Schengen visa with a limitation of 20 days in 180 days (6 month visa validity), no other Schengen state may issue you a visa with more liberal conditions.This has the effect of reducing your permitted stay in Schengen to only 20 (rather than 90) days in a 180 day period and any subsequent visa application in the 180 day period must adhere to this.

You will need to sort this out with the Polish Embassy that issued you the visa PRIOR to your first trip, otherwise you may wind up having to cancel the second trip.
While the OP needs to clarify this, I don't think Polish embassy would have issued a 6 month / 1 yr multiple entry visa with only 20 days stay limitation..
Old May 3, 2011, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Thank you all for the replies. I've just returned from the first part of my trip. Sorry about the delay in responding!

In the end, I decided to cut 5 days off my first trip. I am really angry about this, but I don't see anyway to effectively complain or get compensated (as if!) for any of it.

I only got transitguy1's reply after I had already left, but if anyone else ends up in this position, his sounds like the best course of action (although it's anyone's guess how you'll fare there).

@Palal The waiting period just to apply for the Spanish visa is 6 weeks (when I checked 2 weeks ago). It then takes another 2-3 weeks to process. I simply don't have the time to go that route.

@adventureadam It's a multi entry, and it is the correct one. I explained and documented everything. They just miscounted the number of days I needed.

@abhilife2001 @B747-437B Sorry, I should have been more specific on dates. Visa is valid from the 21st of April until the 1st of June. I was in Central Europe from the 21st until today (13 days in total). And should be in Spain from the 25th of May until the 30th.

Last edited by SA_Traveller; May 3, 2011 at 7:14 am Reason: added day count
Old May 5, 2011, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747-437B
You may have a bigger problem. If Poland has issued you a Schengen visa with a limitation of 20 days in 180 days (6 month visa validity), no other Schengen state may issue you a visa with more liberal conditions.
There are some exceptions to the above, as some grounds used for seeking a visa will still result in a visa getting issued by another Schengen state even after some other Schengen state has issued a visa to the person. Most people, however, aren't going to find themselves in a ready position to take advantage of such exceptions when they may initially wish to have a more liberal regime for visits/stays.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:28 am

Frequent Travel to Schengen

Hi! i would like to know about duration of stay in schengen state. I was in France last April 14 - 30 then back home to PI. When i left PI to go back to Schengen last July 12 I've been told by the KLM ground staff that my stay in France for 17 days will be included in the duration of my stay now. The reason is i went out and went in again in period of less than 3 months. Is this right? Is this correct? i want to know more about this.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lito Raquiño
Hi! i would like to know about duration of stay in schengen state. I was in France last April 14 - 30 then back home to PI. When i left PI to go back to Schengen last July 12 I've been told by the KLM ground staff that my stay in France for 17 days will be included in the duration of my stay now. The reason is i went out and went in again in period of less than 3 months. Is this right? Is this correct? i want to know more about this.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You are allowed 90 days in any 180 day period. Your clock started on 14 April, so you are allowed 90 days between 14 April and 9 or 10 October (haven't worked out the precise date). You had 17 days in April, you're allowed another 73.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.