Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestion in Istanbul

Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Hi

We will be staying at the GH Istanbul in about two weeks.

Any recent food experiences in or around Istanbul?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:45 pm

What sort of restaurant are you seeking?

Hamdi has good Turkish food and wonderful views if you get on to an upper floor (preferably the top floor with the glass roof). Address etc here (it is down near Eminn, where most of the ferries go from – when you're standing with your back to the wharves, it is up to your right, past the Yeni Camii (New Mosque).

There are a large number of restaurants in and around the Flower Arcade (iek Pasajı), also known as the Cit de Pra, off Istiklal Caddesi (a principal pedestrianised shopping street that runs off Taksim Square). One is Boncuk, in Nevizade Sokak, behind the arcade, which does good food, especially seafood, from various parts of Turkey. However, as I say, it is one of very many in that particular location.

There are also some good places to eat in the Sultanahmet area, particularly in some of the smaller streets away from the big tourist attractions. For example, the Sembol Meat House, despite its somewhat unprepossessing name, will do you a good Turkish meal in simple but friendly surroundings for a reasonable cost. But again, there are lots of others (although in this area I always avoid the ones that have an aggressive person outside trying to lure in the tourists).
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
We had a great experience under the Galata Bridge at a restaurant called, Fish Point (Balik Noktasi). The views of the Ferries and the mosques and Topkapi Palace at night were wonderful. The food is well priced and the service is excellent. If you don't recognize the types of fish on the menu, ask them to bring the tray of fresh fish to your table so you can see what you are eating. We found the prices to be excellent and at the end of our meal a complimentary platter of fresh fruit was provided. Since the restaurant is at the Taksim side of the bridge, when walking to the restaurant we didn't have to walk through the touts that line the bridge asking you to dine at their restaurant. http://www.fishpoint.eu/

You can get there easily from the GH by taking the funicular down and then one tram stop to the Galata bridge and then walking to the bridge. It is under the bridge (lower level) on the left side of the bridge if you are facing it from the Taxsim side.

Another fun and very unique experience is Sarnic in Sultanahmet. It is in a restored water cistern underground and it is completely lit by candles. You need reservations. Both times we were there there was a guitar player after 9 PM. http://www.sarnicrestaurant.com/en/index.jsp Some say it is expensive but I think the ambiance makes it worthwhile. Definitely more expensive than Fish Point but a completely different experience.

Last edited by FrAAmer; Apr 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:23 am
uk1
Suspended

Haci Baba ...... and try and get a table in the conservatory/garden room.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions.

How did you transfer to the hotel, are taxis reliable?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingSwiss

Taxis are basically reliable, and metred. However, the drivers are not always very good on their city knowledge. Take the address of your destination and a map, if you can; if you're getting a taxi from the hotel see if the doorman or some other sensible person can make sure that the driver knows where he's supposed to be going. [It can help too to know a landmark that is near to your destination: e.g. for Hamdi, one of the restaurants I named above, the New Mosque (Yeni Cami). Having said that, it is a well-known restaurant so I imagine that all the drivers would know it.]
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:09 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingSwiss

Most journeys should be uneventful but a few precautions do not go amiss.

There a few taxi scams from memory is you need to ensure (a) that the meter is switched on and if he says it's not working get out and (b) it says day during the day and not night (red light off) and the word "gndz" (day) - midnight to 6am it should say "gece" (night) and (c) keep small notes - and if the taxi driver takes a note and asks if you have anything smaller get the note you have given back first before handing over more notes.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by uk1
(c) keep small notes - and if the taxi driver takes a note and asks if you have anything smaller get the note you have given back first before handing over more notes.
Hmmm... now I read this, I remember someone talking last week about a scam involving TL50 notes and TL5 notes, which are similar in colour. The story goes that the passenger gives the driver a TL50 note, and the driver does a quick switch around of notes while appearing to be looking for change, and then presents the passenger with a TL5 note (from up his sleeve or wherever) and tells the passenger that more is needed because the fare is more than TL5.

That's the story: I don't know if it happens, or if it happens often. I've never had any real problem with taxis in Istanbul apart from, as above, genuine vagueness about where something is. But it always pays to be vigilant, I guess.

And as in any country where you don't know the ropes/don't speak the language, it is a good idea to have small-denomination notes in preference to large-denomination notes if you can.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Check out the Asitane Restaurant. I went there and they have great Ottoman influenced kitchen. It is a bit more pricier but the food was fantastic and not the usual things you normally get. It was really worth it. Best it to take a cab there. Make sure you have a reservation. Normally the front desk at your hotel can do this for you.

http://www.asitanerestaurant.com/English/
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
If I may gatecrash the thread...

Thanks for the suggestions above as we'll be in Istanbul this weekend so I've noted some down.

Would anyone be able to recommend any restaurants specifically with a cosy atmosphere suitable for our first wedding anniversary on Sunday?

I'd prefer somewhere not too formal and not over-the-top pricey, but with a view if possible.

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:38 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by potfish
If I may gatecrash the thread...

Thanks for the suggestions above as we'll be in Istanbul this weekend so I've noted some down.

Would anyone be able to recommend any restaurants specifically with a cosy atmosphere suitable for our first wedding anniversary on Sunday?

I'd prefer somewhere not too formal and not over-the-top pricey, but with a view if possible.

Thanks!
Haci Baba ...... and try and get a table in the conservatory/garden room. For desert ask them to give you "a selection".

My favourite place in Istanbul .... so I'm biaised.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:35 am

Thanks ^
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:15 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by potfish
Thanks ^
Well .... if you do go there ... hope you enjoy. And in the event that you are a kebab man then my favourites there are beyti and adana. Although to be honest I ask them to give me some of everything ..........
Old May 1, 2011, 4:55 am

We found ourselves walking past the front door of Haci Baba one lunchtime so ate there then. Perhaps the evening experience would have been better but we thought the service quite perfunctory, and though the food we had was very nice we didn't really feel it was a place to hang around trying more dishes.

Our best meal was at the Matbah Ottoman Palace Restaurant. Every single thing we ate or drank there was divine, the service was very friendly (we were early so there was only us and one other couple there), and the prices were very reasonable.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Probably too late for the OP but we had a phenomenal meal at Korfez a couple years ago. A bit of a pain to get to their dock but the private boat ride to/from the restaurant was a nice touch and added to the experience of sitting right on the water for dinner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.