FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Switzerland in November? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1115502-switzerland-november.html)

dipscorti Aug 12, 2010 4:33 am

Switzerland in November?

Hey,
we have Eid holidays from 15 to 21 November. Is it worth it to go to Switzerland during that time? i mean i've read and titlis has maintenance work around that period and god knows what else is closed during that time as i've heard all of it has maintenance work in Nov. not to mention the cold weather. we want to c everything jungfraujoch, rhine falls, trummelbach falls etc. has anyone gone during November. Can we make the most of it during that time do u think? please advise. thanksssssssss people!!!!

CubsFanJohn Aug 12, 2010 11:26 pm

I went in June and it was COLD in Zurich so I would bring a coat.

Hawk Circle Aug 14, 2010 10:56 pm

Nov. is the worst of times to go. Fall color is over. Winter not in force. Cold, rain, fog.

catandmouse Aug 16, 2010 8:23 am

The weather in November tends to be pretty miserable in most of Switzerland, cold, wet, windy, clouds, fog, in other words you won't see much, particularly in the mountains. On top of that, many attractions may close, between the summer season and the winter season.
That's not to see you won't be lucky and have a few sunny days (probably still cold mind you), particularly if a high pressure zone loses its way and ends up over Switzerland. Then the mountains are at their finest with good visibility, whilst the plains will be stuck in the fog or low cloud.
Place your bets (to the op, I'm going away on vacation in November, out of Switzerland:D).

fingerling Aug 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by catandmouse (Post 14489506)
The weather in November tends to be pretty miserable in most of Switzerland, cold, wet, windy, clouds, fog, in other words you won't see much, particularly in the mountains. On top of that, many attractions may close, between the summer season and the winter season.
That's not to see you won't be lucky and have a few sunny days (probably still cold mind you), particularly if a high pressure zone loses its way and ends up over Switzerland. Then the mountains are at their finest with good visibility, whilst the plains will be stuck in the fog or low cloud.
Place your bets (to the op, I'm going away on vacation in November, out of Switzerland:D).

Yes, it's not the right time to visit Switzerland, exept the Swiss-Italian part on the south, in some years it may be warm, but many attractions may close.

I also will go away on vacation in November, out of Switzerland.

richinaz Aug 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by catandmouse (Post 14489506)

So when do you consider the winter season to start? Mid December?

Thanks.

catandmouse Aug 20, 2010 4:04 am

I'll usually put my winter tyres on beginning of December, though many years they may not be necessary then. Most ski resorts start operations mid-December, though a few might start a little earlier.
There's no sharp dividing line between autumn and winter.