Etihad Guest changes

Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:46 am

...... i was about to get Gold status on 19th October... nice change indeed
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
I may be wrong, but didn't Platinum miles earned up until today have a validity of three years? Now it's saying...
Etihad Guest Miles are valid for 2 years from the date they are earned for Etihad Guest Members.
EDIT: I think you are reading too much into this statement.

See the table at the bottom of this page: http://www.etihadguest.com/en/earn-miles/how/

Etihad Guest members I think just means non-status. IF you have Silver, Gold, or Platinum, you still have the half year or extra year validity.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 6, 2017 at 10:46 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:43 am

what's up with visa cards? some promo going on?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by irishguy28
EDIT: I think you are reading too much into this statement.

See the table at the bottom of this page: http://www.etihadguest.com/en/earn-miles/how/

Etihad Guest members I think just means non-status. IF you have Silver, Gold, or Platinum, you still have the half year or extra year validity.
Thanks irishguy. That's reassuring.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mlqsko
[/B]We are aligning all the tiers to have the same 1 year validity. Etihad Guest Members who gain Silver, Gold or Platinum Tier status will now have 1 year to enjoy and retain these benefits.
So do we have consensus yet that if we already qualified for two years as gold or platinum we will still have that and it will change to one year once that expires?

Gold Members Lounge Access in Abu Dhabi
Etihad Guest Gold Members flying on Etihad Airways operated flights will be eligible to use the Etihad Airways Business Class Lounge* in Terminal 1 and 3 at Abu Dhabi International Airport.
Always should have been the case. Al reem lounge wasn't that bad though.

Collecting miles on Etihad Airways
On two of our Etihad Airways fare classes, we are increasing the number of Etihad Guest Miles being awarded. For fare class "J" in Business will go to 200% and fare class "F" in First will go to 275%.
Okay, not that exciting but alright.

From 15 January 2018

GuestSeats and Upgrades
The number of Etihad Guest Miles required for a GuestSeat on Etihad Airways will decrease on certain routes and increase on others to keep our fares competitive.
You will also notice an increase of the miles required for upgrades.
Code to mean most regular routes will go up, LHR HKG SIN CDG BOM DEL JFK BKK SEY MLE NRT MXP DUS ZRH SYD MEL etc. Obscure routes like Astana and Kozikode might go down!

Surcharge
There will be an increase of USD 50 on the Carrier Surcharge across some of our Business and First Class routes.
What even is this?

Open Seats on Etihad Airways
Members can still use as little as 1 Etihad Guest Mile to purchase our Open Seats redemptions, allowing you to purchase any available fare, in any cabin, including The Residence.
Again confused as to the real meaning of this. Does it mean Etihad ever actually sell seats for 1 mile? What's the point of writing it when the open seat is almost always the most expensive option. Do EY ever actually sell any swag for 1 mile?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Can you explain the "three year renewal", please?

Thanks!!
Under the old system you had a rolling 12 month period to qualify. If I had say 99,000 miles in the qualifying year between March and December, then if I added 25,000 miles in Jan Feb at the point it hit 125,000 I have the rest of that year plus the two following on plus three months. The same counts for segments.

Ergo 3 Years. You re-qualify in the 3 free months at the end of your tenure where in theory you haven't made it

There is a German chap currently running this by flying to and from Sydney in Y as a mileage run for whom this news will be heartbreaking
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
A KEY missing point is that it now states you qualify for a year, it no longer states that you get the rest of the qualifying year

I wonder if that means that we are moving to qualifying dates like BA or that they've not been clear that it still runs Jan to December
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: EY G, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Gold
So I went and checked the archive of the Guest Gold page:

New rules:
Once you have attained a higher tier, your status is valid for the rest of that calendar year plus one year for Silver, Gold and Platinum. In addition you will enjoy the benefits of the tier for a bonus three months.

Old rules:
Once you have attained a higher tier, your status is valid for the rest of that calendar year plus one year for Silver and 2 years for Gold/Platinum. In addition you will enjoy the benefits of the tier for a bonus three months.

If you attain Gold in Jan 2018 for example, it seems that you still get the rest of 2018+2019 and expiry in Mar 2020. (Under the old rules it would have been Mar 2021).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:35 pm

Hope they will feel the heat. I was a loyal guest for more than 9 years, despite that EY was more expensive and sometimes inconvenient to travel with. However, due to the continuing decrease of benefits, mileage value, Access to Lounges, Chauffeur Services, General Services on board, cost saving activities and finally cheat with mileage credits.... I left last year and joined QR, where I am very happy about their Programm. Etihad is simply more Illusion than reality
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by JayCee1966
It amazes me how these changes are touted as improvements and "ensure they remain attractive and competitive"!!

Me to I just love the way they are trying to dress this up.

Etihad are in a mess of that there is no doubt but one might have thought that rather than an emphasis on cutting costs that they might think about how they can ensure the loyalty of their frequent fliers and structure something accordingly.

It is all very well clipping the benefits at the bottom but if they understood the concept of brand loyalty then they would structure the changes to keep their previously loyal users. With me they have already lost 3 round trips in business from the UK to Bangkok or Africa as they give their loyal customer the two fingers and I know I am not alone
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: UAMP, DLSM, EYEG, QRPC
not sure if their award chart will be updates both EY and partner. IMHO, it is too risky to wait to redeem after new award chart. Will try to burn 300K that's left in my account.

BTW any recommendation for burning 300K? hope to redeem NH or OZ F but very hard to find one available...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Etihad Guest
CDG and LHR F have been adjusted to ca. 85000 guest miles (65000 old).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
The 100$ YQ already in place on such short routes such as AUH-MCT/KWI/BAH/IKA/RUH etc are scandalous to begin with.

I suspect that these intra Gulf routes will be spared the $50 increase but who in hell thought it was acceptable to have the same YQ whether it be a one hour flight of a fifteen hour flight!

The best offers in Etihad Guest remain to be with its partners.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by justusliebig
CDG and LHR F have been adjusted to ca. 85000 guest miles (65000 old).
I assume you mean a round trip upgrade from J to F is 85k now? And when is now? From Jan or immediately? Very vague....
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by akalra1187
I assume you mean a round trip upgrade from J to F is 85k now? And when is now? From Jan or immediately? Very vague....
One way awards. I checked from now till eastern.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.